X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fauzigarib
    • Aug 2006

Getting a B&W Front Array

Hey all,

Been a while since I posted anything here.

My new HT has been running on my old Kef iQ series for a while now, and even though the center is their biggest, I find it very very unnatural sounding... especially in dialogue.

I wanted to upgrade to B&W, but wanted to keep the price down.

As it turns out, a store here as the 805S and offers both the HTM 3s and 4s with it.

My surrounds will stay the same for now, and I might change them as time goes on. Same with my sub, a REL Stampede which does a fantastic job in that room.

Just a bit more information.. Room is about 14' x 18' x 11'. Getting some room treatments done, but all in all the response in here is pretty good.

Questions:

- Is that a HUGE step up from the Kefs?
    - What should indicative price ranges be?
    - How much of a difference will it make if I leave the surrounds and rears as is, and perhaps change them at a later stage, should the situation demand it?

Just wanted your input here.

Thanks, Guys,

Fauzi
  • timjclark
    • Apr 2009

I have never heard your Kef's, so I'll defer to others to comment on them vs B&W.

Where is your dealer that still has 805S, HTM3S and HTM4S?

Best of luck with your upgrade process.
    -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
    -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
    -Rotel: RSP-1069
    -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
    -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
    -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Fauzi,

I haven't heard Kef in a while. My impression was good, but I'm not sure they were the iQ series. I will say that the 800 series, properly amplified, are quite excellent performers. I had the predecessor to the HTM3S (the HTM1) and it is an outstanding center channel, with excellent dialogue.

What electronics do you have? Or plan to have? 800 series really need external amps to drive them.

The best thing to do is audition them with familiar material. Your ears will be your best guide.

Getting the front three at once is a very good idea. For now, leaving the rears and sides as is is fine. When funds and the upgrade bug hit later, you can deal with those.

As for pricing, normally one could expect a 10% discount. However, in this bad economy and the fact the 805S and HTM3 & 4 are now discontinued, you should be able to do better than this.

Hope this helps.

PS - The 805S and especially the HTM3S and 4 are getting to be very hard to find, so you probably need to move fast.

Comment

• fauzigarib
        • Aug 2006

htsteve,

Thanks for your response...

Doh, I left some info out. My HT comprises of Lexicon electronics (MC-8 processor paired with the LX series amp).

The dialogue is the reason that I want to upgrade. I've always thought that the Kef were a little electronic sounding, and I think that this will make a world of a difference.... or so I hope.

My dealer (in Pakistan) has a few units of all in stock (805, HTM 3 and 4), and he even has two pairs of the 805's used. Will most probably pick those up...

Oh and another question: My current mains are floorstanding, full range speakers... However, I cross them over at around 80 Hz. Will I miss floorstanders if I get the 805's? That's I guess my main concern.

Fauzi

Originally posted by htsteve
        Fauzi,

I haven't heard Kef in a while. My impression was good, but I'm not sure they were the iQ series. I will say that the 800 series, properly amplified, are quite excellent performers. I had the predecessor to the HTM3S (the HTM1) and it is an outstanding center channel, with excellent dialogue.

What electronics do you have? Or plan to have? 800 series really need external amps to drive them.

The best thing to do is audition them with familiar material. Your ears will be your best guide.

Getting the front three at once is a very good idea. For now, leaving the rears and sides as is is fine. When funds and the upgrade bug hit later, you can deal with those.

As for pricing, normally one could expect a 10% discount. However, in this bad economy and the fact the 805S and HTM3 & 4 are now discontinued, you should be able to do better than this.

Hope this helps.

PS - The 805S and especially the HTM3S and 4 are getting to be very hard to find, so you probably need to move fast.

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by fauzigarib
          My dealer (in Pakistan) has a few units of all in stock (805, HTM 3 and 4), and he even has two pairs of the 805's used. Will most probably pick those up...

Oh and another question: My current mains are floorstanding, full range speakers... However, I cross them over at around 80 Hz. Will I miss floorstanders if I get the 805's? That's I guess my main concern.

Fauzi
          Fauzi,

An excellent idea to pick up the used 805's. That will really be the best long term solution. And the 805's will be harder and harder to get.

Going to bookshelf speakers from flooorstanders can often be a step back. However, if you have a good subwoofer (which it sounds like you have, since you are crossing over at 80Hz), going to bookshelfs like the 805's is not too big a concern to me. The 805's are excellent. With a low end sub, you should be fine.

You can experiment with the crossover once you get the 805's. 80Hz might still be good with these. They get surprisingly good bass.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• JargonGR
            • Feb 2009

Hey all,

Been a while since I posted anything here.

My new HT has been running on my old Kef iQ series for a while now, and even though the center is their biggest, I find it very very unnatural sounding... especially in dialogue.

I wanted to upgrade to B&W, but wanted to keep the price down.

As it turns out, a store here as the 805S and offers both the HTM 3s and 4s with it.

My surrounds will stay the same for now, and I might change them as time goes on. Same with my sub, a REL Stampede which does a fantastic job in that room.

Just a bit more information.. Room is about 14' x 18' x 11'. Getting some room treatments done, but all in all the response in here is pretty good.

Questions:

- Is that a HUGE step up from the Kefs?
            - What should indicative price ranges be?
            - How much of a difference will it make if I leave the surrounds and rears as is, and perhaps change them at a later stage, should the situation demand it?

Just wanted your input here.

Thanks, Guys,

Fauzi

I had a 7.1 KEF IQ system before I moved to my B&Ws that consisted of IQ9s, IQ6C, IQ8Ds, IQ3 and the 12" SUB PSW3500. I gave it away to my brother since I could not sell it at any decent price.

Although it is not a fair comparison at all, I can tell you that there is no comparison between those and ANY speaker in the 800 series. They are at a totally different league.

To be honest there are much better speakers (for me) at the price range of those KEFs in the likes of Monitor Audio for example.

So go ahead and get those 805s before they go.

Comment

• fauzigarib
              • Aug 2006

Ok... so the saga continues.

I guess I mis-heard... He has two pairs of 805's, but no HTM.

What he DOES have is the 805 Signature in Grey Tiger Eye, with a matching HTM Signature!!!

Now those aren't cheap. Even used.

2600 for the 805s (w/o stands)
              2800 for the HTM.

Are the prices ok?

-Fauzi

Comment

• htsteve
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Fauzi,

I assume those prices are in USD. And I assume those are the prices for the signature pieces. If these assumptions are true, I would say the prices are pretty good, at almost 20% discount. Maybe the dealer will give you a sweet deal on some stands as well.

And get the 'regular' 805's while your there.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• fauzigarib
                  • Aug 2006

Steve,

Has anyone ever told you you're evil?

-Fauzi

Comment

• kmcheng
                    • Jan 2008

htsteve,

Fauzi
                    I have not heard the KEF speakers, so I cannot say anything about that. However, the 805S are surprisingly strong in the bass department. Obviously, you cannot expect them to shake the room at 20Hz. I would highly recommend them if the budget is in the $3000 range. It was almost the best money I ever spent. (My personal best went to a sweet deal on the 803Ds.)

Comment

• htsteve
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

Steve,

Has anyone ever told you you're evil?

-Fauzi

I've learned to spend other peoples money well!!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"