Yamaha RX-V2600 running 803s/805s/htm3s?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nick.h
    • Jan 2006

Yamaha RX-V2600 running 803s/805s/htm3s?

So can the jap yamaha 2600 run the 803s/805s? How much power is enough.

Surely 100watts and higher would be fine for any speaker.
  • akhter
    • Jun 2005

Originally posted by nick.h

Can it run them? Yes.

Will the speakers sound as good as they can? Probably not.

Its not just a question of power, there is the issue of the pre-amp section of the Yamaha, which will be quite mediocre, and will have more of an impact on the final sound that probably the 100w amp will. If listening on moderate levels, 100w should actually be fine, especially if you have a sub. I think the 803S is rated at 350w, so I would go with something atleast in 200w range, but I like listening loud.

Comment

• nick.h
      • Jan 2006

Im thinking of using 805s front and back. I don't listen to it very loud.

Comment

• norpus
        • Oct 2005

Im thinking of using 805s front and back. I don't listen to it very loud.
        Nick, forget the avr. The 800 series deserve way better.
        Cheers
        Norpus
        "He who dies first with the most toys wins"

Comment

• earwit
          • Jun 2006

Nick,

Speakers are only as good as what you put into them..

If you check this forum a majority of 800 series owners
          use seperates . For a 800 series speaker to really shine,
          you need the power of a seperate amp, (or amps) and clarity of
          a seperate pre-amp. IT is unlikley you will be pleased
          with the sound from a 100 watt receiver...

At the very least you will need to add a amp, and have
          the receiver act as a pre-amp if possible.

Bob

Comment

• Clepto
            • Feb 2006

While 100wpc is probably fine for the 805s, the 803s are rated at 50-250W, so you're probably underdriving them... Especially when you consider that the 100wpc probably isn't putting out 100wpc with all channels driven.

Comment

• lvhung
              • Jun 2005

You may choose Rotel RSX 1065

Comment

• Briz vegas
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Yamaha are known for giving dodgy stats on their amps. A 100w Yamaha might only give you about 30w all channels driven - a published lab report I read was that bad. 803s may not like that at all.

805s all round with a decent sub would be a nice solution, particularly for movies - seamless and they are great speakers. Maybe use the dollars you save for a really nice power amp, or if you like your two channel music get a high quality integrated with HT bypass for sublime music.
                Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• akhter
                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                  Yamaha are known for giving dodgy stats on their amps. A 100w Yamaha might only give you about 30w all channels driven - a published lab report I read was that bad. 803s may not like that at all.

805s all round with a decent sub would be a nice solution, particularly for movies - seamless and they are great speakers. Maybe use the dollars you save for a really nice power amp, or if you like your two channel music get a high quality integrated with HT bypass for sublime music.
                  I noticed on the other thread that you were considering the Arcam AVP700/1000--that imho is a much better match. Also the P1000 will actually output 100 simultaneously on all channels, where the Yamaha will probably not.
                  Last edited by akhter; 14 August 2006, 05:21 Monday.

Comment

• BassThatHz
                    • Jul 2006

I upgraded my yamaha reciever (75watts) to a Rotel RMB-1075(120watts), take note I am currently only driving a few AS-F1 (think not even B&W CM-6 quality) these are 8ohm/92db an easy load for any power source.

Even at volumes of only 60db (a fraction of a watt) the differences in dynamic headroom were in the range of 3-6db (using an SPL meter) on the same source material. :E

For example: On bright material like Gwen Stefani's, Luxurious; it can be downright fatiguing and sibilant on a yamaha.

Now have a listen to Norah Jones’, Come away with me; there are various points in the song where the signal of the notes will go from near digital silence to full 16bit amplitude. A limited power source won’t have the current reserves to deliver the package in an effortless, natural manor without compressing, clipping or producing harmonic products not found in the source material.

Also note various 800 series, dig down to 3ohm and would probably cause the reciever to go into protection mode; at best, it would over-heat like crazy.

This is the best analogy I can provide: Imagine driving a Lamborghini Murciélago around speed reduced school zones… you can do it, but you will never see its full potential. :W

Comment

• goe2112
                      • Feb 2005

" jap " isn't that a derogatory term?

Comment

• norpus
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by goe2112
                        " jap " isn't that a derogatory term?
                        Or an abbreviation maybe? like US :W
                        Cheers
                        Norpus
                        "He who dies first with the most toys wins"

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"