X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Opus007
    • Nov 2007

Do you run your center channel hot?

When correctly calibrated I really notice that voices on my center speaker seems low.By running it 1db hot I notice a big improvement in the dialog.Does anyone else run your center a little higher than the rest of your speakers.
    Thanks
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

Yes.. But that is because the HTM61 is such a poor center..
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• Opus007
      • Nov 2007

I agree the htm 61 and 62 are piss poor center channels.I have owned both.But I have to make do with what I have at this point and time.What gets me is just a 1db boost makes all the difference in the world with dialog but am probably losing something by the other speakers 1db lower.

Comment

• John22614
        • Feb 2010

I do too, but more like 2 or 3 db.......never been able to figure it out 'cause the test tones aren't the same as the actual dialogue presentation. I've often wondered if there's something wrong with my processor. Whatever, it sounds fine when I adjust it by ear during a movie or TV broadcast, and I do love the sound of the background music coming from my mains.
        B&W 804s Mains
        B&W HTM4 Center
        Monitor Radius 180 Surrounds

Sony 46 HX929 TV
        Marantz AV 7005 processor
        Anthem MCA 30 Amp
        Panasonic 3D BluRay player

Comment

• emig5m
          • Aug 2008

I run my center at the same dB as my mains.... so no, I don't run mine hot..

Comment

• Opus007
            • Nov 2007

I also think that some disks are just not mixed right as on some disks it fine and others the dialog is up and down.But guess nothing is perfect.Or maybe its just my PS3 which is my DVD/BLURAY player.

Comment

• omar7631
              • Sep 2009

Before I did the audessy calibration I was unhappy with my systems performance. I had the l/r at -4db less than my center and I felt something was wrong. After I did the calibration the center is .5 less than my l/r and the souund quality improved. I felt my system was now more balanced.
              B&W 804s
              B&W htm3s
              B&W dm601 s3
              Outlaw lfm-1 EX x 2
              Denon 2808ci
              Emotiva XPA-5
              Emotiva XPA-2
              Sony PS3

Comment

• JustinGN
                • May 2009

I use whatever auto setup gave me. My speakers are too clustered together to give proper imaging anyways in my current situation, so I'm afraid I can't help much (even though I also use the HTM61).

Odd suggestion, but maybe try bi-wiring it? Or heck, if you have an extra amp channel laying around, try bi-amping. All it costs is an extra speaker wire and RCA Y-Adapter.

Comment

• Glenee
                  • Aug 2006

Used to Run it Hot by 1-2db. Since I got the new Pre/Pro all are equal and it sounds closer to correct.

Comment

• scanido
                    • Apr 2006

Mine are always balanced with the mains and dialog is crystal clear. This is from an HTM3S.

Comment

• theblue
                      • Dec 2009

I run mine a little hot, but my LCR60 is probably an even worse match than those of you with the HTM61/62. My marantz has a home theater EQ that I like for any home theater source which is less than audiophile and I find it does a good job of maximizing the center channel. I also run a different interconnect with more silver from my pre to the amp for the center channel as I like it little brighter than my mains.

Question for those with the HTM61/62, how much power are you giving them and is the same as your main speakers? I've got a gut feeling that they are very power hungry.
                      Marantz SR5002 (music fed by apple airport express via optical)
                      rotel RB-985 THX (4 channels bipowering fronts, 1 for the center)
                      B&W - 683, CDM-CNT, CDS3 (sides), DM601 (rears)
                      a combo of haveflex and audioquest cables.

Comment

• brunsje
                        • Jan 2009

SP2 Options

The SP2 remote control allows an easy adjustment to alter the channel dB levels without altering the 'saved settings'. I use this if the DVD / BluRay has voices that are too soft. I have never had to reduce the center channel.

JohnnyB

Comment

• Opus007
                          • Nov 2007

Thanks for the responses so far.I guess running it 1db hot is not that big of a differnce.I have no audyessy or room correction built into my pre so it is all about adjusting with a spl meter.

Comment

• SpeakerGuy
                            • Mar 2010

I typically advise my friends to start with the center at +3 db and go up from there.

Most movie soundtracks seemed to be mixed with the effects a little too loud compared to the dialog.

If you live in a home where disturbing the neighbors is not an issue, then +1/+2 db might be fine, but if you're in a condo or apartment, boosting the center is particularly helpful for more clear dialog without driving the neighbors to either call the police to complain about noise, or, if you're lucky, just knock on your door and politely ask you to turn it down...

It's also useful for anyone who has some degree of hearing loss/deficiency.

I would also recommend setting your receiver's high pass on the center to ~80 hz or so, even if the center can go lower since the human voice rarely dips below that... (Caveat: I don't care for multi-channel (beyond stereo) music)

Comment

• Nolan B
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2005

I run my hot about 3db

Comment

• mrsagibit
                                • Dec 2008

I run my centre at +6 dB. It is also partly due to laying the speaker on its sides.

p.S My centre is same as my mains.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"