Can I safely darken my cherry wood speakers in sunlight?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John22614
    • Feb 2010

Can I safely darken my cherry wood speakers in sunlight?

Hi all,

I recently had the good fortune of purchasing some 804s's and an 804HTMs out of box from my local dealership at a decent discount. I recall hearing somewhere that if placed them in the sunlight the shade of the cherry wood will get darker. I would like to do that, but I am hesitant to just place them out on the patio on a sunny day and let nature do its thing. This is my first set of B&W speakers ever, and I love them. I'm concerned that direct sunlight might damage the drivers. So, I wanted to check in a see if anyone has experience with this and any suggestions on how or if I should do it.
    B&W 804s Mains
    B&W HTM4 Center
    Monitor Radius 180 Surrounds

Sony 46 HX929 TV
    Marantz AV 7005 processor
    Anthem MCA 30 Amp
    Panasonic 3D BluRay player
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

John,

I had N804's in a room with decent light. They were not in direct sunlight, though. They darkened up over time to a very nice color. I believe it was over a couple of years. I'm not sure about exposing to direct sunlight however. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Another idea is to talk to B&W directly.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• John22614
      • Feb 2010

Thanks Steve, I appreciate your comments.
      B&W 804s Mains
      B&W HTM4 Center

Sony 46 HX929 TV
      Anthem MCA 30 Amp

Comment

• NMG
        • Oct 2004

They will darken over time on their own. My cherry 703's are in a room that doesn't receive any direct sunlight, although a small amount of natural light will get into the room when the blinds are open. When I take the grills off I can see a VERY noticeable difference between the part of the cabinet that is covered and the part that isn't.

The colour of the cabinets now is absolutely gorgeous IMHO, much richer and deeper in tone than when they were right out of the box.

Comment

• WelshOne
          • Jan 2009

I read somewhere on a B&W blurb/manual, that you can use ultraviolet light to help balance out any uneven colour changes..............

Comment

• John22614
            • Feb 2010

very interesting......I had the feeling keeping the grills off might be helpful. My speakers are in the living room and get a good amount of indirect light so hopefully they will darken over time. I'll also check into the ultra violet option. I've seen pictures of some older cherry wood B&W's that look beautiful, hopefully mine will age to that deeper, richer shade. Even now they look pretty nice, but just not as stunning as darker ones.
            B&W 804s Mains
            B&W HTM4 Center

Sony 46 HX929 TV
            Anthem MCA 30 Amp

Comment

• kmcheng
              • Jan 2008

They will darken over time. There is no need to risk exposure to the elements. Hifi is also a hobby of patience.

Comment

• John22614
                • Feb 2010

isn't that the truth.....thanks KM
                B&W 804s Mains
                B&W HTM4 Center

Sony 46 HX929 TV
                Anthem MCA 30 Amp

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by John22614
                  very interesting......I had the feeling keeping the grills off might be helpful. My speakers are in the living room and get a good amount of indirect light so hopefully they will darken over time. I'll also check into the ultra violet option. I've seen pictures of some older cherry wood B&W's that look beautiful, hopefully mine will age to that deeper, richer shade. Even now they look pretty nice, but just not as stunning as darker ones.
                  My 802N are in direct sunlight and have been the same for the past 8 years. I think it is Cherry veneer so it doesn't darken
                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"