800 Series - Cherry vs Rosenut - Is one more porous than the other?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

800 Series - Cherry vs Rosenut - Is one more porous than the other?

My Nautilus 805's were the cherry wood color.
    My set of 804S are rosenut.

One thing I noticed is that the wood does not have the same texture.
    The cherry wood of the 805 was silky smooth to touch. I never added any liquids and oils. Always cleaned it with just a microfiber cloth.
    The 804S is rosenut, and the wood is very porous compared to the cherry of the Nautilus 805. I thought it would have been sealed or filled prior the speaker being made, but I guess that's not the case. Just doesn't feel close to as nice as the 805 did. Is it the change in the series, or is it the wood?

Any comments?
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

I'm a HUGE fan of Cherry wood!. I would have loved to get my speakers in that color but as always, the blacker Rosenut dominates because 'most' people prefer black, both in their componentry and their speakers so shops stock those colors mostly. Cherry wood transforms a speaker into a beautiful piece of furniture as well, which in my opinion is better.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by madmac
      I'm a HUGE fan of Cherry wood!...Cherry wood transforms a speaker into a beautiful piece of furniture as well, which in my opinion is better.
      Me too. I would have preferred them in cherry wood.

Did you get your speakers in rosenut?

Comment

• John22614
        • Feb 2010

Noticed the same thing. Mine are cherry wood and have a very smooth surface with many shades of natural grain and are stunning. I think they contrast beautifully with the black grills and black glass of my led tv so I leave the grills on. Changes in light also reveal subtle changes in the appearance of the grain. I've had them for three years and still marvel at how beautiful they are. I like the rosenut too, and also noticed they have a more textured surface, but I like the cherry wood better.
        B&W 804s Mains
        B&W HTM4 Center
        Monitor Radius 180 Surrounds

Sony 46 HX929 TV
        Marantz AV 7005 processor
        Anthem MCA 30 Amp
        Panasonic 3D BluRay player

Comment

• baranowski
          • May 2012

I agree... in a two channel system cherry looks the best, but when you need the lights low and do not want the attention on the speakers (like in home theater ) rosewood or black is better

Comment

• Blindamood
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by John22614
            Changes in light also reveal subtle changes in the appearance of the grain. I've had them for three years and still marvel at how beautiful they are.
            I agree, and I like how they've darkened slightly over time.
            Brad

Comment

• Rod#S
              • Oct 2010

Perhaps I'm mistaken but I thought the colors cherry and rosenut are just that, colors/stains, not actual wood species and the actual wood for the cabinet surfaces is birch thus there would be no diffierence in how porous one color is vs another.
              B&W 800 Diamonds (L/R), HTM2 Diamond (C), 802 Diamonds (SL/SR), Paradigm Signature Sub 25 (LFE), Reference Servo 15a x 2 (Stereo subs), Lexicon MC-12Bv5EQ SSP, Bryston 28B-SST2x 2, 7B-SST2x2, 4B-SST C Series, BDP-2, Oppo UDP-205, Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-150FD, Furman SPR-20i, IT-Reference, Eastlink Maestro PVR, Xbox One & 360, PS3, Siltech Golden Ridge II, Ruby Hill IIx2, 330ix2, Kimber Kable PK10 Gold, Tonic, PBJ, Cadence, HD19e, HD19, OPT-1, HDSW 4x1, Ixos 6003, Harmony 1000

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Rod#S
                Perhaps I'm mistaken but I thought the colors cherry and rosenut are just that, colors/stains, not actual wood species and the actual wood for the cabinet surfaces is birch thus there would be no diffierence in how porous one color is vs another.
                That's what I thought. So I didn't even feel the wood when I purchased the speakers.
                However, apparently it is not the case. I had the Nautilus 805, HTM-2, and SCM-1 all in cherry wood, and they all had simliar patterns and texture. The wood pattern on the rosenut from the 804S is completely different from the cherry wood in the Nautilus series and feels completely different as well.

That's why I'm trying to confirm if anyone has gone from cherry to rosenut and noticed a difference.

Comment

• nemo
                  • Feb 2008

Cherrywood=American cherrywood (Tight grain so easy to fill and become smooth to the touch)
                  Rosenut=American walnut (Very open grain, difficult to fill the grain without losing the definition of the veneer and it starting to look as though its be painted red)

Comment

• PewterTA
                    • Nov 2004

Even though I went with the Piano Gloss Black on mine which I love... I'd have loved he wood colors as well... they are very very nice. Real wood veneer, hand picked and matched per speaker sets by Scandinavian wood workers where it's been done for hundreds of years. B&W has their cabinet making factory there.
                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                    -Dan

Comment

• Skyblue
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by PewterTA
                      Even though I went with the Piano Gloss Black on mine which I love... I'd have loved he wood colors as well... they are very very nice. Real wood veneer, hand picked and matched per speaker sets by Scandinavian wood workers where it's been done for hundreds of years. B&W has their cabinet making factory there.
                      Actually not anymore. They bought it up and moved it to the UK.

Anyway I have the cherry, and many times thought I perhaps should have gotten the piano black. No matter, I also sometimes just listen to them and dont look at them at all.
                      B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2006

I have the 800 L/C/R in piano black and the 804 LS/RS in rosewood. I like both but each color suits the place it is.
                        Kal Rubinson

Comment

• RebelMan
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Rod#S
                          It's both the wood type and the stain.
                          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                            I have the 800 L/C/R in piano black and the 804 LS/RS in rosewood. I like both but each color suits the place it is.
                            The 802D were Rosenut. Why the switch?
                            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• style
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Feb 2006

Hi,
                              I was a Rosenut fan! -> well is a very nice color: find a good match almost in every room.... BUT I have ny 802di in Piano black in my room. and I'm happy. B&W have too a "special polish" for the Piano black for event. Very necessary use....= a piano black see after the time alwys like new.

Cherry was (for my like ) like garlic for vampires lol... but now I consider a pair of 805d so finished: Cherry with silver stand.

in Switzerland B&W importeur say me: 1. piano black, 2. Rosenut 3. cherry but you do is a fully personal taste.

Style

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"