X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • windshear
    • Dec 2004

Surround Speakers

I have just changed my front speakers B&W 801 SIII and HTM1 to an 802D and HTM1D. Now my problem is as follows. My side speakers are a pair of Dm604S3 and my rears are Dm640i's. I have always preferred the idea of full range speakers even as surrounds as there is no compromise in terms of sound. However i am now leaning towards possibly replacing these rear/surrounds with DS8's. The benefits as far as i can tell in this regard is i will be able to colour match the speakers to the fronts. I will gain a bit of space as these will now be wall mounted and would have the option of toggling between monopole and dipole depending on source material. The negatives i would say are, they are no longer full range, which isnt an issue for HT, more for Audio and then the cost involved in the upgrade.

Any opinions or ideas regarding the above and any issues i may have over looked?
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Here are some random thoughts. Hopefully there may be some points hidden in the waffle which might be helpful.

Firstly, my own goal was somewhat different. I planned to have a 5.1 system with matching diamond tweeters and so I ended up using 803D's as surrounds. They are perfect as their tweeter height is above the 802D's (with the additional assistance of granite plinths) and so the surround high frequencies are able to clear the high backs of the recliners. Of course, the 803D's are full range too - even though I cross them over at 60Hz via the processor.

Some may describe this as overkill ... but it is my choice.

If you can find some DS8's or even 4 x SCMS's for wallmounting ... that would work too.

Here are a few ideas to consider:

1. How about keeping your existing surrounds for the time being and beefing up your electronics. Your view profile mentions Rotel gear. If that is what you are using then how about looking at Classe, Krell or McIntosh, etc. Your 802D/HTM1D is a perfect front end and will benefit (imho of course) from an electronics upgrade. Problem is that this is an expensive exercise. Very expensive, in fact. If you chose this route you would need to plan carefully taking in account timing of purchases & reconciling this to available finances. If you have a partner (wife) ... consultation and agreement is vital.

2. Sell your existing surrounds/rears & go for DS8's (assuming that they can still be bought). You are already aware of sacrifices regarding loss of full range here. This is a personal choice. No right or wrong. If it's right for you then that's ok. One of my reasons for having full range matched speakers doing surround duty is that I love music blu-rays. I believe that matched speakers all around makes for "completeness" or "totality" regarding the overall audio experience. This was my goal. But ... that may not be of utmost importance to you.

3. Sell your existing surrounds/rears & go for 2 x 803D's as surrounds + take your system down from 7.1 to 5.1. Hey, it's an idea. Think about it. Or, if you can afford it, get 4 x 803D's (assuming availability of course).

A belief that I nurture: Your front end is of upmost importance regarding music & HT ... try to make it the best that you can.

Good luck & would be great to know what you decide to do.

Comment

• windshear
      • Dec 2004

Thanks for the reply Shadow. For now the electronics will stay as they are , in time i may change, however i do enjoy the warmer sound of the Rotels, my ears are rather sensitive to a bright sound. Regarding the DS8's. I can get a pair new for R20k or alternatively trade in my old 801 SIII's and pay in another R3k. Apparently these are the last of the last still to come from the UK. I would have preferred SCMS but they are non existent, not even second hand locally. At least i can colour match the rosenut of the D's with the DS8's

I have always preferred the idea of full range as its less of a compromise in terms of the quality, hence my current surrounds. Also im not convinced with the DS8 idea of being a dipole. It seems current trends is going away from this as the surround mixes are favouring monople/direct radiating speakers as things are more discrete.

In terms of going the route of other floor standing speakers, i would rather stay with what i have from a cost perspective as im more into HT than music. Regarding downgrading 7.1 to 5.1 im actually going 9.2 as my processor can do it. This is just a case of doing it because i can..... he he.

Any ideas regarding dipoles, monopoles etc. Decisions decisions ...... maybe i can see if the dealer has a pair that i can demo at home.

Comment

• MikeFL52
        • Oct 2007

I have 803Ds as fronts with DS8S for the surrounds in a 5.1 system and like them very much.

They can be switched from direct to surround (dipole) with a trigger, but that has to be wired into the wall. Understand that when they are in dipole mode they are not full range speakers at the top end, if you look at the specs they aresloped from 12kHz onward, supposedly so they do not become too directional.

If you have the wall space B&W do an equivalent in wall speaker to the DS8S.

A lot depends on your listening choices, if you listen to a lot of multichannel music, then I would definately go with the 803Ds or maybe the new 804Ds or 805Ds, but if you want the surrounds as surrounds for movies (or even concerts since a lot of the surround content is ambient) then the DS8S makes a nice speaker.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"