X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stantheman2
    • Apr 2004

A New Review of 803Ds

The latest Home Theater magazine Vol. 12, No. 10, October 2005, has a review of the B&W 803Ds, w/HTM2D center, DS8S surrounds, and ASW825 sub. They use a 100-point rating scale in several categories. They rate the 803Ds and 5.1 system as 97 points for performance, 98 points for build quality, and 96 points overall (I don't recall a higher total rating on anything they have reviewed).

The last three sentences of the review say it all:

"These speakers are a prime example of the successful manifestation of build and design principle into sonic reality in the listening room. But the pure enjoyment and excitement that this system delivered is probably the ultimate compliment I can pay it. This B&W system was as enveloping, exhilarating, and flat-out enjoyable as any speaker system I've ever heard."

My only question - does anybody have $17,500 USD they can spare? I promise that I'll put it to very good use. :W
  • Miroku
    • Jul 2004

Sounds like some nice praise. Do they mention what they used for Electronics? dvd player, amps, etc...

Comment

• stantheman2
      • Apr 2004

Yes: Lexicon LX-7, Simaudio MOON Titan, and Aragon Palladium monoblock amps, Lexicon MC-12 pre/pro, and Simaudio MOON orbiter universal player. As the reviewer put it, "top-shelf speakers need top-shelf electronics".

Another quote from the review: "if you can't get lost in this system and forget you're listening to speakers, there may be no hope left for you."

Comment

• Pez
        • May 2004

I subsrcibe to HT Magazine and I noticed that any manufacturers that advertise with them tend to get excellent reviews. Granted, the B&W's deserve every bit of praise they get but sometimes I wonder if a product that is advertied in the magazine would ever get a bad review (assuming the product in question deserves it).

When I got my new 800 series speakers I had no intention of getting the matching surrounds due to the price. However after reading that article I may change my mind.

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Pez
          I subsrcibe to HT Magazine and I noticed that any manufacturers that advertise with them tend to get excellent reviews. Granted, the B&W's deserve every bit of praise they get but sometimes I wonder if a product that is advertied in the magazine would ever get a bad review (assuming the product in question deserves it).
          At first it would seem that this is a conflict of interest, but such is not the case. Magazine publishers are not compeled to review a particular product for a particular manufacturer just because they advertise in their magazines. Nor are they complelded to report more favorable or less favorable (in the case of those that do not advertise) conclusions as a result.

It's a pretty simple equation. Magazine publishers want to sell magazines. Magazines sell based on readership interests. Readers are intrested in products like B&W. Manufacturers like B&W advertise where they can reach the most consumers.

I find that while most reviews tend to lean towards more positive outcomes, that in itself is not where we should draw our own conclusions. I believe it is the degree of a favorable result that should be under close scrutiny. The ole' addage goes... "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all."
          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• stewfoo
            • Jul 2005

Wrong. Look at Definitve technology. They are muddled crap that pay a lot for ad space and they get great reviews.
            Stew
            Stew

Comment

• Pieter
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
              The ole' addage goes... "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all."
              You gotta be kidding me.

They're reviewing a product up for public consumption, not discussing a person's character traits at an afternoon tea.

Advertising!

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

stewfoo, there are many varibles to consider, but for simplicities sake, let's assume two manufacturers advertise in the same magazine and their products are reviewed by the same technical journalist. On one occasion the author concludes... "these speakers should be on eveyone's short list" and on another... "these are the best speakers I have ever heard". Clearly both are favorable reviews.

As I stated, a prudent reader will draw their own conclusions. The author of these two reviews makes it clear which speakers are the better of the two. It is unnecessary to speak derogatorily to get the message across to the reader that there are better speakers out there. I believe most magazine journalists are just exercisizing proper business etiquette.

Pieter, all kidding aside, here is a tip... subscription bases drive advertising!

Comment

• Pieter
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                  Pieter, all kidding aside, here is a tip... subscription bases drive advertising!
                  Do not disagree with you for a single moment on this.

The blatanly disfiguring review in an audio periodical may seem refreshing and honest, but it would be difficult to look forward to reading a review in a magazine that has gone belly up due to ever diminishing advertising revenue.

Subtlety, perhaps, may be equally welcome in an Oscar Wilde play as in an audio review.

Comment

• Pez
                    • May 2004

Originally posted by stewfoo
                    Wrong. Look at Definitve technology. They are muddled crap that pay a lot for ad space and they get great reviews.
                    Stew
                    When I made my post above I had Def Tech in mind. I am big fan of thier larger powered towers (hardly crap but thats personal opinion) but they advertise heavily typically get glowing reviews.

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Pieter
                      The blatanly disfiguring review in an audio periodical may seem refreshing and honest, but it would be difficult to look forward to reading a review in a magazine that has gone belly up due to ever diminishing advertising revenue.
                      Or perhaps just the diminishing reviews you would like to see, if under performing products are your thing.

Comment

• Stevebez
                        • Oct 2003

Well I reckon these mags have to satisfy their readers as much as they need to satisfy their advertisers. So they cannot be too slanted or they will p-off their subscribers.

Lets be honest though - allot of people are influenced by others' opinions in hifi ... mags are VERY influential - so are awards. Speakers at this end of the market are really very close so picking between them is more art than science. And ultimately personal preference - often substantiated by something other than sound - e.g design, technology - what so and so said etc ... . What is funny is when one tries to convince another one unit is better than the other - that to me is a little foolish. Because ultimately these guys are saying I have no confidence in my own opinion I need to convince you too to make me feel I am right.... perhaps harsh - but true more often than not.

Also allot of this stuff in mags is to appease buyers remorse. You buy X and it gets a glowing review - you gonna feel at least a bit better regardless how poor the unit sounds right ?

It all comes down to personal preference - and in absense of objective measures it is sooo easily swayed. Trouble is - when will we know if something really is good though? I suppose when we believe it with our own ears...... or have confidence in a partcular reviewer / mag. I kinda take them with a pinch of salt - never too seriously. I listen to what they say on objective issues - the subjective stuff I discount allot.

I cannot say I am at all offended by the article - quite the contrary - but thats probably because I own 803D's - does not mean they will sound any better to me - but means perhaps someone else thinks they sound good too - which makes me believe I made the right decision and I feel better about myself blah blah blah - you get the picture - all a bunch of psycho babble!

Ultimately we all just want to sit back and enjoy the music...

Rgds Steve.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"