X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Wow Kodg, reading your posts reminds me of Steve Carell's character in the movie Anchorman where he was screaming, but didn't know why. ha ha Lots and lots of CAPS. But it's ok.

I agree with the comment about McIntosh, Jeff Rowland, and likes... though it sounds great, most of the price is in the name. Need proof? Look at some of their smaller items, and see how much they charge for those things.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• KODG MAN
      • Jan 2009

sorry about the caps!!! i get lazy & hate typing, caps are easier!! i know a lot of people take it as shouting, but not me iaim a realist & it is typing words not sounding words!! now i use to many !!!!! LOL

Comment

• KODG MAN
        • Jan 2009

Cool face.

Kodg Man

Comment

• Glenee
          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by audioqueso
          Cool (no pun intended)... I hope that will stand true for the XPA-5 as well since the XPA-3 is identical to the XPA-5 except for the number of amps and the psu. This will be the first AB I'll have owned and NOT be worried about kids touching it. We'll see how it goes.
          Did you ever recieve your Amp ? I am waiting to hear your thought's.

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
            • Mar 2005

I have an XPA-2 already driving my N805s. So far after owning the amp for about a year. So far so good. No real complaints about the amp except for the LED meters. Some people like them, I don't. I wish there was an option to go with a simple layout like my Bryston 6B-ST which just has three LEDs in front to indicate power, clipping, or fault. The front power button is also illuminated which i would rather turn off too. It's the Emotiva blue when the amp is on and yellow when on standby. I have it triggered off of my Bryston BP25. The immediate characteristic I've noticed with the XPA-2 and the N805s is the bass authority and extension. The mids/vocals seem to not be as prominent with this combo versus the Carver TFM-25 I had running this 2 channel system.

I have a second XPA-2 coming as the last operational Carver TFM-25 I have running the rear surrounds on my multichannel system (speakers are N804s) just took a dump too like its sibling. I now have two TFM-25s which are big paper weights and I'm not going to spend the money to fix them. We'll see if I figure out a proper racking scheme for the new XPA-2 in my Synergy rack. I liked the Carver as it was compact and light for the amp it is. Now I have two collossal amps in my rack: Bryston 6B-ST and the Emotiva XPA-2. Both these amps tips the scales at about 80lbs. This is in addition to my Equi=Tech 2Q balanced power line conditioner in the same rack that also tips the scales at 80lbs.

Here's a pic of the XPA-2 with the black trim pieces....which makes the amp halfway nice looking:

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Glenee
              Did you ever recieve your Amp ? I am waiting to hear your thought's.
              I JUST received it yesterday. I was expecting for it to arrive last week, but it took a while. So I already started burning it in before any evaluation.

Comment

• Hammie
                • Oct 2005

I JUST received it yesterday. I was expecting for it to arrive last week, but it took a while. So I already started burning it in before any evaluation.
                What are you doing to burn it in?
                Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• audioqueso
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Just playing music non-stop. Heavy stuff, soft stuff.

Comment

• Glenee
                    • Aug 2006

Just playing music non-stop. Heavy stuff, soft stuff.
                    I don't remember on the XPA-5 how long it was before settling in, but on my XPA-1's it was around 60-70 hrs on all 3.

Comment

• audioqueso
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

Thanks Glenee. It's just my own practice that all audio electronics get 100+ hours of burn-in.

Comment

• Glenee
                        • Aug 2006

Thanks Glenee. It's just my own practice that all audio electronics get 100+ hours of burn-in.
                        I don't get into serious evaluation till after a hundred hours myself. Got to load and discharge the Amp several times till it settles in for it's final sound.

Comment

• emig5m
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by ZX10 Guy
                          I have an XPA-2 already driving my N805s. So far after owning the amp for about a year. So far so good. No real complaints about the amp except for the LED meters. Some people like them, I don't. I wish there was an option to go with a simple layout like my Bryston 6B-ST which just has three LEDs in front to indicate power, clipping, or fault. The front power button is also illuminated which i would rather turn off too. It's the Emotiva blue when the amp is on and yellow when on standby. I have it triggered off of my Bryston BP25. The immediate characteristic I've noticed with the XPA-2 and the N805s is the bass authority and extension. The mids/vocals seem to not be as prominent with this combo versus the Carver TFM-25 I had running this 2 channel system.

I have a second XPA-2 coming as the last operational Carver TFM-25 I have running the rear surrounds on my multichannel system (speakers are N804s) just took a dump too like its sibling. I now have two TFM-25s which are big paper weights and I'm not going to spend the money to fix them. We'll see if I figure out a proper racking scheme for the new XPA-2 in my Synergy rack. I liked the Carver as it was compact and light for the amp it is. Now I have two collossal amps in my rack: Bryston 6B-ST and the Emotiva XPA-2. Both these amps tips the scales at about 80lbs. This is in addition to my Equi=Tech 2Q balanced power line conditioner in the same rack that also tips the scales at 80lbs.

Here's a pic of the XPA-2 with the black trim pieces....which makes the amp halfway nice looking:

I had a Carver TFM-35x...

Sold it to a friend.... wish I still had it. I always loved the sound of the Carver system. What do like the sound of better, the Carver or Emotiva? I got the TFM-35x when it first came out....years and years ago. Infact, that was the last time I was having true fun with a audio system up until a year ago... I read that Bob Carver altered the sound of his solid state amps to mimic the sound of tube amps?

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by emig5m
                            I had a Carver TFM-35x...

Sold it to a friend.... wish I still had it. I always loved the sound of the Carver system. What do like the sound of better, the Carver or Emotiva? I got the TFM-35x when it first came out....years and years ago. Infact, that was the last time I was having true fun with a audio system up until a year ago... I read that Bob Carver altered the sound of his solid state amps to mimic the sound of tube amps?
                            As I said above, I like what my TFM-25s gave me in terms of power and sound in a small package. The problem with the TFM-25, and I suspect other amps in the TFM line, is the parts quality. The chassis top flexes, the binding posts are rather cheap and won't accommodate some cables and terminations, the interior layout/parts also seem a bit subpar. I guess the culmination of all these factors have led me to my experiences. I lose track but I think both of my TFM-25s have been out for repairs twice. If not, one has been repaired once and the other has been repaired three times. Not very confidence inspiring especially when I like to push my listening to reference levels. Also, all repairs were done by Carver or Sunfire under Rita.

Comparing my TFM-25 to my Emotiva, hands down the Emotiva wins in terms of build quality. Where as both my TFM-25s would flex when I carried the amp a certain way, the XPA-2 doesn't. The thing is really built almost to tank like specs of the higher end manufacturers. I have this to compare with my Bryston 6B-ST which in it's own right looks and feels like it was machined from a solid block of billet aluminum. The XPA-2 doesn't match my Bryston in terms of build quality but it's not too far off. The quality extends right down to the binding posts. The XPA-2 doesn't use cheap binding posts but ones that resemble WBTs and what you would find on B&W speakers. Even my Bryston 6B-ST doesn't have as nice a binding post as the XPA-2.

Even though I would give the Carvers a bit of an edge in the sound quality department, it wasn't enough for me to want to get any of the two broken TFM-25s repaired.

Here's a pic of the XPA-2 and the TFM-25 next to each other:

Comment

• audioqueso
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

100+ hours has passed by. It's Saturday... and I have no plans today.
                              So I started listening to Emotiva's XPA-5 vs McIntosh's MA6800 this morning. So far... very very impressed with the Emotiva I'll write about it thoroughly tonight after I've had a good long day comparing both.

Comment

• mal01
                                • Apr 2009

100+ hours has passed by. It's Saturday... and I have no plans today.
                                So I started listening to Emotiva's XPA-5 vs McIntosh's MA6800 this morning. So far... very very impressed with the Emotiva I'll write about it thoroughly tonight after I've had a good long day comparing both.
                                As an owner of Emo amps myself, i am looking forward to your review.

Lee

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                                  • Mar 2005

Finally go the XPA-2 integrated into my system. I don't have much to say about it as I think that is the way it should be. The XPA-2 integrated into the system without drawing attention to itself. Nothing but one large cohesive soundfield.

Comment

• Glenee
                                    • Aug 2006

Wow, That is some good looking stuff, I can just image how it sounds.

Comment

• ZX10 Guy
                                      • Mar 2005

Thanks Glenee.

Yes, I'm very happy with the system. I can say when I get the Meridian HD621...my system is done.

Comment

• legion1capone
                                        • Oct 2008

One thing I think many of you forget is many of us don't have the money to spend ($5000-$10,000) on speakers alone and the same on equipment. Guys like me want the sound as close to that $20,000 system as we can for the least amount of money. Brands like Emotiva give us that. I have heard my B&W 705's against other brands like Sonus Faber, Vienna Acoustics, Paradigm, Polk Audio, Klipsch, Definative Technology, Monitor audio, and I'm sure a couple others I can't think of. Obviously I can tell the difference between the sound of the likes of B&W, Paradigm, Sonus Faber, Vienna Acoustics vs Polk Audio, Klipsch, Bose. I chose B&W because to me with the money I had sounded best to my ears (plus the pedigree). As for amplification obviously I couldn't bring myself to spend $700 on a surround reciever or any type of amplification for that matter from bestbuy, circuit city, fred meyer, etc, because there is a large audible difference. And thats because brand names that are mass produced are to make the most money. When you have an online seller only (emotiva) or high end brands it is worth it for the extra price. So then it comes to going from something like Emotiva's gear for less than $1000 to a $6000 Mcintosh, classe, etc doesn't justify the dollar/performance to someone that only makes $30,000 a year. Do they sound better yes. But ask yourself how much of that price is markup. You have to think it is amplification. For the money some people spend on amps, speakers, etc. You could by a car, a car! There is a lot more R&D into something like that. Plus the technology of a motor, suspension, breaks, chassis, differentials, electronics. I could see spending $10,000-$20,000 on a car but not on a system. But then again how much of a markup is on a vehicle cost too, alot I know that. I'd venture its the same with electronics. I understand this could make some people upset but I am a realistic person and thats the way I see it.
                                        Just ranting... lol

If you read around the board many owners are starting more and more to go towards cost/performance system instead of no limit systems. Because you can get a 250wrms at 8ohms, 500wrms at 4ohms Emotiva XPA-2 to drive your maggies or Martin Logans, B&W or Axioms for $800. Price out a 2 channel amp with that much power for a decent price. You can't do it but Emotiva can! I spent $1100 on my Emotiva prepro/power amp setup for my B&W 705's and couldn't be happier. Even the price and performance compared to NAD or Rotel vs Emotiva is a nobrainer. After hearing my setup and being cost effective the jump from Emotiva to others like Mcintosh or Classe just isn't. Another thing to rant about. When I go into my magnolia hifi and definative audio, you will start talking about others brands you found "online" and they won't even know any of them. All they know is the speakers they sell, usless. Brands like, Emotiva, PSB, Canton, Bryston, Carver, Parasound, Aperion Audio, They automatically go into our product is better mode. So annoying!

Comment

• dan87951
                                          • Nov 2005

I ordered two of there XPA-1's and XPA-5's for a future speaker upgrade I'm planning late this year. Hope to have them in Feb. Any well designed same class amplifer should sound very similiar. I have had, Classe, Rotel, and Harman Kardon and honestly couldn't tell much of a difference between any of them. I bet in a blind test they all sounded the same at moderate volumes, but than again im now one to think just because its expensive its gotta be good. I base my judgements on reality which a lot of audio guru's don't sometimes..
                                          dan87951
                                          audio guru

Comment

• Armbender
                                            • Jul 2005

I went from a Bryston 6BSST to my Emotiva XPA-5. I run the Emotiva in 3ch to get 250wpc for my mains and centre. This amp is awesome for the price, I have no complaints selling my Bryston....
                                            Samsung UN60C6300 | Primare SP32 | Primare A30.7 | Oppo BDP-103 | PS Audio Quintet | AppleTV | ELAC 247 Black Edition | ELAC CC 241 Black Edition | B&W DM 600 S3 | SVS PC 13 Ultra | Straight Wire Virtuoso | Harmonic Technology Pro 9's | Black Sands Power Cords

Comment

• wettou
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • May 2006

Originally posted by legion1capone
                                              One thing I think many of you forget is many of us don't have the money to spend ($5000-$10,000) on speakers alone and the same on equipment. Guys like me want the sound as close to that $20,000 system as we can for the least amount of money. Brands like Emotiva give us that. I have heard my B&W 705's against other brands like Sonus Faber, Vienna Acoustics, Paradigm, Polk Audio, Klipsch, Definative Technology, Monitor audio, and I'm sure a couple others I can't think of. Obviously I can tell the difference between the sound of the likes of B&W, Paradigm, Sonus Faber, Vienna Acoustics vs Polk Audio, Klipsch, Bose. I chose B&W because to me with the money I had sounded best to my ears (plus the pedigree). As for amplification obviously I couldn't bring myself to spend $700 on a surround reciever or any type of amplification for that matter from bestbuy, circuit city, fred meyer, etc, because there is a large audible difference. And thats because brand names that are mass produced are to make the most money. When you have an online seller only (emotiva) or high end brands it is worth it for the extra price. So then it comes to going from something like Emotiva's gear for less than $1000 to a $6000 Mcintosh, classe, etc doesn't justify the dollar/performance to someone that only makes $30,000 a year. Do they sound better yes. But ask yourself how much of that price is markup. You have to think it is amplification. For the money some people spend on amps, speakers, etc. You could by a car, a car! There is a lot more R&D into something like that. Plus the technology of a motor, suspension, breaks, chassis, differentials, electronics. I could see spending $10,000-$20,000 on a car but not on a system. But then again how much of a markup is on a vehicle cost too, alot I know that. I'd venture its the same with electronics. I understand this could make some people upset but I am a realistic person and thats the way I see it.
                                              Just ranting... lol

If you read around the board many owners are starting more and more to go towards cost/performance system instead of no limit systems. Because you can get a 250wrms at 8ohms, 500wrms at 4ohms Emotiva XPA-2 to drive your maggies or Martin Logans, B&W or Axioms for $800. Price out a 2 channel amp with that much power for a decent price. You can't do it but Emotiva can! I spent $1100 on my Emotiva prepro/power amp setup for my B&W 705's and couldn't be happier. Even the price and performance compared to NAD or Rotel vs Emotiva is a nobrainer. After hearing my setup and being cost effective the jump from Emotiva to others like Mcintosh or Classe just isn't. Another thing to rant about. When I go into my magnolia hifi and definative audio, you will start talking about others brands you found "online" and they won't even know any of them. All they know is the speakers they sell, usless. Brands like, Emotiva, PSB, Canton, Bryston, Carver, Parasound, Aperion Audio, They automatically go into our product is better mode. So annoying!
                                              You are so right, there is at least 40-50 points mark up from manufacturer to dealer to customer.

So if a manufacturer like Meridian, Macintosh, or other sale an item for $10,000 MSRP the dealer pays between $5000 - $6000 and the cost to the manufacturer is more like $2000 so every one makes a profit except for the customer who pays for the dealer to move boxes.

Emotiva can do this because they manufacture it all in China where the cost is 70% less than in the US, Canada, or Europe and they sell direct and don't license any technologies except for Dolby and DTS.

Same with Oppo except they are getting gready with their blu ray players unless you compare the BDP-83 Universal player $499 to Denon $4999 Universal player and then you smile
                                              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"