Emotiva UMC-1 & XPA-5 good match for 600/CM series speakers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nirvana_1911
    • Mar 2011

Emotiva UMC-1 & XPA-5 good match for 600/CM series speakers?

As title says, is the Emotiva UMC-1 & XPA-5 a good match for 600/CM series speakers for the price?
    I have a Pioneer VSX-LX52, it was around $1,899AUD MSRP and considering upgrading to the Emotiva gear above, which will cost a similar price.
    My thoughts are, is there any 7.1 pre-amp/processor and 5-channel amp that will give me noticeable improvement in sound for a similar or slightly more price?

My current gear is:

Pioneer VSX-LX52
    Generic AWG14 bare speaker wire
    685 - L/R
    HTM61 - C
    686 - RL/RR
    Velodyne SPL-1200 Ultra

What I will be upgrading to by the end of 2011 (sooner rather than later):

Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-5
    Chord Carnival Silverscreen bi-wire
    CM5 - L/R
    CM Centre 2 - C
    CM5 - RL/RR
    Velodyne SPL-1200 Ultra

In Australia source voltage is 240VAC if that makes a difference.
  • dukester
    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by nirvana_1911
    As title says, is the Emotiva UMC-1 & XPA-5 a good match for 600/CM series speakers for the price?
    I have a Pioneer VSX-LX52, it was around $1,899AUD MSRP and considering upgrading to the Emotiva gear above, which will cost a similar price.
    My thoughts are, is there any 7.1 pre-amp/processor and 5-channel amp that will give me noticeable improvement in sound for a similar or slightly more price?

My current gear is:

Pioneer VSX-LX52
    Generic AWG14 bare speaker wire
    685 - L/R
    HTM61 - C
    686 - RL/RR
    Velodyne SPL-1200 Ultra

What I will be upgrading to by the end of 2011 (sooner rather than later):

Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva XPA-5
    Chord Carnival Silverscreen bi-wire
    CM5 - L/R
    CM Centre 2 - C
    CM5 - RL/RR
    Velodyne SPL-1200 Ultra

In Australia source voltage is 240VAC if that makes a difference.
    Can't speak to the Emotiva gear however have heard nothing but good. My comment is about your upgrade path; are you more HT than 2ch? If majority is HT then CM5s all around should suffice. But if more 2ch, I recommend sending your 685's to the rear and look at the CM 8/9s as your mains (CMC2 ctr). If I remember correctly, you can get the CM9s for the price of 4 CM5s. Further down the road maybe the CM5s to replace the 685s. Just a thought.
    McIntosh C2300/MC302, NAD T785, Oppo 83se & 105, Squeezebox Touch, AppleTV, B&W 803Di/HTM2Di/M1, REL G1, Sony XBR9, PS3

Comment

• nirvana_1911
      • Mar 2011

I could have sworn I made another post and it hasn't appeared here.
      I want both 2-channel music and HT.
      But I'm leaning more to HT at the moment.
      I'm actually concerned about x4 CM5's versus x4 685's.
      The 685's IMO have a fuller range from the mids down toward the bass, it has a big, round sound, if that makes any sense. They are good in that aspect for bookshelves.
      Listening to the CM5 is a big difference to me, they both sound fantastic, just different sounding.
      I do notice the only downside to the CM5 is that it is lacking a little in the bass area which the 685 has, but it has a tight and sweet upper-midrange and treble, the clarity and resolution is definitely there.
      I'm worried I'll lose all the lower end if going from 685's to CM5's for L/R/RL/RR.
      The retail pricing for the CM series in Australia is:
      CM9 $4,199
      CM8 $2,699
      CM5 $1,699
      CM1 $1,299
      CMC $999
      CMC2 $1,799
      What do you think?

Comment

• leej
        • Feb 2009

The cost of 7.1 stand-alone processors might put them out of your budget, but would definitely be a plus to your system. Another thought is if you are somehwat satisfied with the Pioneer driving the 685’s, you might consider using it as your processor, driving the 685’s as surrounds with the internal amp. Then use an external 3-chanel amp, such as the XPA3, from your pre-amp output to drive your fronts and center. And like the Dukester said, put more into the fronts and center speakers. The CM9/CMC 2 would definitely benefit from the external amp and end your worries about the lack of bass, while maintaining the tight and sweet upper-midrange and treble, clarity and resolution that you liked. Your receiver’s amp would benefit by reducing the number of driven channels. This would allow using the 686’s as rear channel for 7.1, if that suits you.
        Lee J

Denon 4311ci; Rotel RB-1080; OPPO BDP-83 Universal Disk/Media Player
        B&W 703 mains; B&W HTM2 Center; B&W CDM SNT-Surr; B&W CDM1nt-back; Pair of Rythmik F15 Subs

Comment

• nirvana_1911
          • Mar 2011

Thanks leej, I appreciate your input.
          I had to read your post a couple of times to make sure I understand your thoughts.
          At the moment, I'm not really considering 7.1 in speakers, as a processor, yes, such as the Emotiva UMC-1.

I have a few concerns though.

For example, CM5's vs 685's for the lower end, if I will be satisfied with it.
          I may need to go to the audio store and have a listen to them both again to gauge the differences between them in 2-channel stereo.

And also, wanting to use CM5's for rear-left and rear-right channel.
          From my experience so far, with MKV's from my HTPC, the RL and RR channels don't seem to do much... They chime in from time to time with the surround effects but the work load/duty cycle of the LCR compared to RL/RR is a huge difference, so I wouldn't see a benefit in paying a significant more amount of money for floorstanders for the RL/RR channels at the moment.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2006

At the moment, I'm not really considering 7.1 in speakers, as a processor, yes, such as the Emotiva UMC-1.
            The UMC-1 is a high-value product but it is substantially cheaper than any other prepro (new). However, it lacks a decent roomEQ facility and that is a very important factor, imho.
            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• nirvana_1911
              • Mar 2011

Having a decent roomEQ is very important for me.
              What does it lack in the roomEQ area?
              It has Emo-Q, which is their roomEQ.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2006

Having a decent roomEQ is very important for me.
                What does it lack in the roomEQ area?
                It has Emo-Q, which is their roomEQ.
                Fairly useless. It comes with the DSP chip and Emotive puts their name on it.
                Kal Rubinson

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"