How does your gear connect & what is your gear topology?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theSven
    Master of None
    • Jan 2014

How does your gear connect & what is your gear topology?

As I am often left wondering about the 2.0 listening setup or HT setup I thought it would be helpful to to start a thread on what your gear topology looks like. Let us know your listening goals, what you like and don't like about your setup 😀

My listening goals are to have a nice 2.0 setup while also being able to have the HT experience. I hope to grow out the 2.0 experience along with speaker upgrades to achieve a 7.6.1 setup. The Emotiva RMC-1 will help with the processing part, but I still need more surrounds and another amp. That leaves me with a lot of TBD!

Below is a draw.io diagram I put together to keep track of how the network looks at home for the AV setup. I don't have a vinyl collect yet, thus I stream my music with Roon running on an Alma Linux VM and use a Chromecast. Emotiva unfortunately does not have built in Roon support like other processors on the market 😭. I do have CD's, but I have converted them to FLAC now for archiving and ease of use.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fillingame-AV-Architecture-v3.png Views:	3 Size:	105.4 KB ID:	927328

Recently I have started running cat 6a around the house for a planned 10GB upgrade. As more streaming is happening in the household I figured now is a good of time as any to start looking into 10GB. Now that the cable is run I will keep an eye out for a good deal on a switch and NIC card for the streaming server that is on the list to build. Plex looks to be the winner for that build with Unraid.

I have been debating about ordering the March amp that have the Purifi card in them to have class D power for the Ardent D's and then be able to switch between a DAC and the Emotiva to have a more native 2.0 capability. However the bigger priority is getting a new center channel to keep up with the Ardent D's when using them in 5.1.

When I got into DIY I used to troll this website a lot back in 2013 for my first project which was a sub sonotube build with the Dayton Ultimax subs. Then the projects progressed from there. I haven't built as many kits as technodanvan, Steve Manning , or others on the forum, but as JonMarsh tells me, slow work takes time!
    Last edited by theSven; 24 December 2022, 14:21 Saturday. Reason: Updated title of the thread
    Painter in training
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Nice format, Sven, especially the Media Legend. I'll adopt part of that for the plan drawings I'll put together during the break for this topic thread.. But now, it's time to shovel the walks!

My situation is also complicated by what my wife is willing to put up with in the living room- so, as I'm thinking of it now, I'll be talking about the "Mid-Fi" system (for living room) and something rather different and for me both experimental (new speakers, new electronics, new room acoustic solutions) and traditional (Brainstorm DCD-8 reclocker, Rubidium reference oscillators, TotalDAC D1 balanced, Roon based networked render with Alpha USB, and Halcro Preamp and DM68 monobock amps. There's old stuff in storage, and new stuff in storage sort of waiting in the wings... and a few things that are still just a gleam in my eye...
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

OK, here's a hint for my starting point for the networked audio stuff (not to be confused with the Apple Music+ HomePod stuff for background)

I like the idea of updating this format and including Sven's media legend, but I might rename it "Connectivity".

You know what they say... "Steal from the best, and ignore the rest"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Music Setup with microRendu.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	927331

the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Obi-Wan
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Now, here's the problem with that diagram I posted yesterday...

That configuration was current as of mid 2016, before Beverly was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. After that happened, all the audio stuff in the family room was packed away and into storage, and the family room was converted into a therapeutic area for her in the evenings, with her favorite recliner (lying down in bed not possible until much later at might, due to discomfort) and other stuff setup for her, natch.

Of course, what that means, is that the configuration map I created above back then may or may not get reassembled in that form. You can't even find documentation on that version of Small Green Computer, which I believe was ARM based- all their newer stuff is Intel based. Normally you have to configure the computer by connecting it on to your local network, booting up, then logging into the system hardware address with a browser on a PC or Mac. Now, it's already setup, for a local network, but I don't have the iPad originally setup with Roon. I do have an ongoing Roon license, and I have a whole new local network setup based on optical fiber ethernet, but doing some head scratching about whether to try going forward with it. I have the original external SSD module for the music library, and a couple of backups of it- and of course, a lot of new music acquired since then.

SO, that's my personal issues to ponder...

Now, just along the idea of documenting this kind of stuff, Sven's drawing is pretty good at a high level, but with the nature of studio grade digital components, it gets a bit trickier. Let's take the Brainstorm DCD8 as an example.

Name:	DCD8Large.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	927345

This is a multi-function studio device used for distributing synchronization word clocks, deriving word clocks from a specific source and syncing other components to it, digital audio format conversion, and re-clocking critical data to those word clocks and/or using a high stability GPS source to synchronize and reduce jitter. It can send silent audio digital format signals just as a synchronizing clock format, and it can reclock existing digital audio sources. The DCD8 is now obsolete, superseded by newer models, but it still does what it does, if you know what I mean. It will do stereo at 96kHz, but must be run in a special mono configuration for 192kHz; I.E., takes two for stereo. I sold one of mine to Arun so he could run stereo; they're a bit harder to get in Europe and in Singapore back in 2016.

For example, here's the diagram I created using Brainstorm's original template for a setup for my pro Tascam CD transport, and the NAD M50 I used to have... with a 10MHz Rubidium master oscillator, sometimes referred to as a GPS source; this is how GPS and wireless stuff is synced and stabilized for minimum jitter.

Name:	DCD8 Domain Plan Update.png
Views:	286
Size:	480.9 KB
ID:	927346

I have a lot to think about, regarding how I want to put this back together.

Also, there's the living room system to consider, which has a Denafrips Avatar transport using the NOS Phillips CDM4/19 laser mechanism (no longer available; they sold out limited by the 3k pieces of the Philips mechanism they could obtain), a Denafrips Terminator DAC, a Hestia preamp, and dual Cambridge Audio Edge W's.

​​​​​​​I may want to experiment with a DCD8 in that system, but the Denfrips transport and the DAC both have three versions of I2S connectivity, so the clock is sent separately from the data stream on an ethernet or HDMI style connector, unlike AES/EBU and SPDIF which must derive the clock from the data bits. So, it should be pretty OK as is. That's still lower down on the To-do list, not setup yet... Yeah, I know, spinning disks, how quaint! But I haven't had time to rip all the CD's, and I'm often getting new stuff, like the Steve Wilson remasters...

​​​​​​​Note the ability to synchronize with external WC...

Name:	Avatar (1)Front_JPG.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	927347

Name:	Avatar (2)Rear_JPG.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	927348

Name:	Avatar (3)TopInside_JPG.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	446.3 KB
ID:	927349​​​​​​​

the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Obi-Wan
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• technodanvan
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2009

I don't think I've done anything particularly special here, I have two systems - one in my office, the other in the living room. Both are more or less stereo right now, though I did neglect to add an SVS center channel to the living room diagram. I did plan ahead a bit on my last few purchases though. The Panasonic UB9000 should be a very capable standalone CD player should I wish to move it to another system someday. The Denon X2700H has line level outputs on it to support external amplifiers while supporting most current formats (including Roon over wireless!). Since I have no idea if/when I'll have a real home theater I felt this was a balance between affordability and future use.

I use Roon for all music needs in both systems, all ripped to FLAC from a few thousand CD's I have in storage.

I use Plex for most video needs in both systems (and other TVs), running through an Nvidia SHIELD to support 4K/HDR for the TVs that support it. Much of this is from iTunes purchases (from when you could strip the DRM from legitimate downloads) and BD rips (also in storage). I am slowly starting to add 4K rips to this collection, despite the large file sizes. I'm trying to limit 4K purchases to moves and TV shows that I'll truly watch again though. It's hard when there are sales, but so far I'm sticking to steelbook releases only which helps a little. Even then, I'm mostly only buying things that benefit from 4K, like the Marvel movies, LOTR/Hobbit, and Star Wars. I have the Godfather trilogy too, but that really is pointless in 4K IMO. I'm not real keen on setting up a Linux server (though I really ought to) so mine is just running Windows 10 and works like a champ provided it doesn't restart itself at an inconvenient time. The actual drives are 8x 16TB Seagate Exos in a Synology NAS using an equivalent to RAID 6.

I'm always short of drive space.

As far as future upgrades go, there aren't all that many right now until I have more living space:
          1. Modernize the hardware in the server and put it in a much more compact case.
          2. Determine an appropriate method of increasing drive space without impacting current storage (considering a 12 drive Synology NAS)
          3. Downsize the network gear. I have a light enterprise system right now and it uses a network rack in my office. I'm getting kind of sick of it, and need a more compact device that handles all my networking and PoE needs. Hoping Ubiquiti releases something soon.
          4. 'If' I can get the network rack gone, I'd like to rotate my office system 90 degrees and add some room upgrades.
          5. Construct a pair of 'compact' (ish) subwoofers each using a pair of 15" Ultimax drivers. Possibly with passive radiators, but that is unclear at this point as no modeling has been performed and no parts acquired at this time. These would probably be used in my office initially, but inevitably transfer to the living/theater room pending space availability.
          6. Begin work on the King Anarchy and Rex Anarchy series of speakers. I think these have been alluded to in previous postings. These would be for the living room/theater room. Initial plans include four 7" Anarchy woofers per side along with the Seas 'King Coax' coaxial driver, with four 10" Dayton PRs (all acquired). Rex Anarchy would be a higher value design with ported enclosures and the Seas MR18REX/XF coaxial driver instead, but still use the Anarchy's (parts not yet acquired). I just think that value of the Anarchy is too high, even if it were twice the price I think I'd choose them over the Dayton Epique for the 'King'. Series 'may' include WWCWW and CWW towers, and CW bookshelves ('C' being the coax). Depends on my wife and the space we have.
          7. Begin work on Speedster TMM and/or Overnight Sensations TMM towers for use in a 3rd (and possibly 4th) home stereo system, pending evaluation. Both kits are in storage right now.
          8. I have another small kit but I don't recall the name of it. Plan was to use the remaining bamboo scraps I had to construct the cabs for it. Think they use an SB ceramic driver...maybe the Keramiskas? No idea what I'm gonna do with them.
          9. Ultimately...I'm trying to design a house based on our actual needs and wants. Maybe someday!

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	927460
          - Danny

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

You're playing the long game, and thinking ahead... and it isn't easy at times to prioritize what is immediately desired versus how it's going to fit into a long range plan.

Considering all that, this was the most interesting part of your post, and highlights well how many (at times difficult) tradeoffs there are to make.

I use Plex for most video needs in both systems (and other TVs), running through an Nvidia SHIELD to support 4K/HDR for the TVs that support it. Much of this is from iTunes purchases (from when you could strip the DRM from legitimate downloads) and BD rips (also in storage). I am slowly starting to add 4K rips to this collection, despite the large file sizes. I'm trying to limit 4K purchases to moves and TV shows that I'll truly watch again though. It's hard when there are sales, but so far I'm sticking to steelbook releases only which helps a little. Even then, I'm mostly only buying things that benefit from 4K, like the Marvel movies, LOTR/Hobbit, and Star Wars. I have the Godfather trilogy too, but that really is pointless in 4K IMO. I'm not real keen on setting up a Linux server (though I really ought to) so mine is just running Windows 10 and works like a champ provided it doesn't restart itself at an inconvenient time. The actual drives are 8x 16TB Seagate Exos in a Synology NAS using an equivalent to RAID 6.

I've got a lot of similar gear in terms of networked storage but for now have hit the "reset" button about planning how to put it all back together since 2016- a lot of upgrades will be needed in some areas, but frankly, as little time as I've had for video and movies, on that end it's been ages since I've done video ripping and using Plex, all I have been doing the last few years is collecting 4K & 4K/HDR movies that I'm pretty sure I'll want to watch more than once- SOME DAY!

These days, I'm so busy with front end design tasks for SMJ as well as my own projects, and getting various things squared away in the new house, plus keeping up with a serious news habit, reading only, that I just haven't had the time for video entertainment- we haven't even hooked the VIZIO TV back up yet! And my wife doesn't like the idea of my front projection setup in the living room, really doesn't like how my Halcro gear looks, so what is now my IT/Design office will eventually become the high end A/V Den with all the really good stuff plus acoustic treatments as needed- have things ready to bring out of storage for that which I used to use. That stuff does't go out of style (or in style!) and doesn't change much in design.

And neither my wife or local acquaintances understand why a UB9000 or a late model Oppo (have both) are worth every penny compared with a $200 disk player or streaming 4K...

the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• technodanvan
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2009

I'm sure you know this already Jon, but not any old 4K computer drive will work for ripping 4K discs. I have an LG burner that was only sold in....Taiwan, I think? Maybe Singapore?...that has a certain firmware in it allowing 4K discs to be ripped. I just keep them as-is (no further compression) so they're enormous file sizes (LOTR is 100-150GB per movie). I should have the contact info for the guy that sells these (and similar) drives if you don't already have one.
              - Danny

Comment

• theSven
                Master of None
                • Jan 2014

Since this hobby is evolving all the time for me I was able to get some good deals on some new parts (New to me 😀, second hand) that I have added to the setup. Notable changes are:
                • Roommate built an Unraid Network Attached Storage (NAS). This now houses the music collection and runs Roon Core on a container 😍. Containers make updating software a breeze and I don't know why I didn't start working with them sooner!
                • Cambridge Audio Edge W now powers the Ardent D's
                • Soekris DAC 2541 is used exclusively for 2.0 listening. I have to move the XLR cables between the Soekris and the Emotiva, but small inconvenience in the bigger picture. I now have a 2.0 setup and can also enjoy a movie with 5.1 with the swap of 2 XLR's
                • Mutec 3+ USB Thank you to JonMarsh for sharing the threads on the forum; Champaign & Budget Reclocking
                • Roon Bridge is installed on a laptop at the moment that is used to stream the music and then goes into USB to the Mutec. This setup works very well for me. The only downside is there is no remote for the DAC to control the volume and requires moving from the chair down the hall to adjust the volume

Name:	AV-Architecture-20230330.png
Views:	241
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	931072

Apart from the improvements in the 2.0 listening future upgrades that I would like are:
                • Save up for the Berkley Alpha USB
                • Save up for the Berkley Alpha DAC
                • Build new surrounds for the back and sides to have 7.1
                • Wish for someone on the forum to share an ATMOS design for the ceiling to complete the theater speaker deployment
                • Build a Raspberry Pi to put Roon Bridge on that would be a small form factor to have out of the way
                Painter in training

Comment

• Evil Twin
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by technodanvan
                  I'm sure you know this already Jon, but not any old 4K computer drive will work for ripping 4K discs. I have an LG burner that was only sold in....Taiwan, I think? Maybe Singapore?...that has a certain firmware in it allowing 4K discs to be ripped. I just keep them as-is (no further compression) so they're enormous file sizes (LOTR is 100-150GB per movie). I should have the contact info for the guy that sells these (and similar) drives if you don't already have one.
                  If you could PM me the model number, and possibly the contact info, it would be appreciated.

DFAL
                  Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by svenarajala
                    Since this hobby is evolving all the time for me I was able to get some good deals on some new parts (New to me 😀, second hand) that I have added to the setup. Notable changes are:
                    • Roommate built an Unraid Network Attached Storage (NAS). This now houses the music collection and runs Roon Core on a container 😍. Containers make updating software a breeze and I don't know why I didn't start working with them sooner!
                    • Cambridge Audio Edge W now powers the Ardent D's
                    • Soekris DAC 2541 is used exclusively for 2.0 listening. I have to move the XLR cables between the Soekris and the Emotiva, but small inconvenience in the bigger picture. I now have a 2.0 setup and can also enjoy a movie with 5.1 with the swap of 2 XLR's
                    • Mutec 3+ USB Thank you to JonMarsh for sharing the threads on the forum; Champaign & Budget Reclocking
                    • Roon Bridge is installed on a laptop at the moment that is used to stream the music and then goes into USB to the Mutec. This setup works very well for me. The only downside is there is no remote for the DAC to control the volume and requires moving from the chair down the hall to adjust the volume

Name:	AV-Architecture-20230330.png
Views:	241
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	931072

Apart from the improvements in the 2.0 listening future upgrades that I would like are:
                    • Save up for the Berkley Alpha USB
                    • Save up for the Berkley Alpha DAC
                    • Build new surrounds for the back and sides to have 7.1
                    • Wish for someone on the forum to share an ATMOS design for the ceiling to complete the theater speaker deployment
                    • Build a Raspberry Pi to put Roon Bridge on that would be a small form factor to have out of the way
                    Great current status, and great goals... my "deferred gratification" encompasses about 6 years now, so somethings put in storage don't have the same luster as when they were placed there... however, it mostly seems workable and will do for the feasible future.

I am
                    accepting/resigned to having two systems, one the living room that is sort of OK with the wife, and the really high end stuff in what will be my AV den, but is currently my IT den. A number of projects need to be completed and space freed up from use as storage, so that I can combine my E-Test and IT into the one workroom currently mostly used for crossover and cabinet assembly. Note, I say assembly, not fabrication, to draw a key distinction. The AV den will have fairly substantial room treatment. The living room, not so much, unless wife comes around. We'll see...
                    What that means is that the Living room will have the disk players, a Mutec MC3, probably with one of the LPFRS units, the Denafrips Terminator DAC, the Hestia preamp, a pair of Cambridge Edge W, and the Isiris speakers, and possibly the Mac based music server running Audirvana. Or maybe the Roon setup, with a network link to the AV Den.

The AV den will have the Alpha USB, the Brainstorm DCD8 with one of the LPFRS, (I have two), the TotalDAC Dual, the Halcro DM10 and DM68, and probably the Saint-Saëns system if that pans out successfully. Might have STW-350F subs, too, as I have drivers, and some cabinet candidates in mind.

A lot of logistic and construction work lies ahead for these things to happen...

the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• theSven
                      Master of None
                      • Jan 2014

As all things DIY my setup is a living design meaning the setup does not stay the same. As time and budget permit devices in the setup come and go. Fast forward 7 months and a few changes appear.
                      1. A Pi2AES was built and this replaced the USB laptop with Roon Bridge. The Pi2AES is connected to the network with cat 6 cable (RJ45 connection to a switch), and this plugs into the Mutec M3+ with an AES cable. It's a tiny little box and I've been meaning to do a post on this, and slow work takes time! The Pi2AES is running Moode an open source OS for the Raspberry Pi that has a web UI to configure. I have installed the Roon Bridge onto Moode for streaming Roon through this device. I can also stream Spotify, but I have not tried since I have Roon running. This integration is rock solid and has not had any signal issues that I ran into using a laptop. For example I learned that USB-C ports on a Macbook Pro on one side of the laptop added interference and popping sounds to the signal going into the Mutec, and I could only use the USB-C ports on the left side of the laptop instead of the right side.
                      2. I had to build a new Unraid. Due to unforeseen changes the Unraid that was in the house found a new home down South. I had to scrap together a new Unraid build for the music collection and this Unraid will only relocate when I do!
                      3. The Playstation 4 was unplugged and hasn't been used in some time. The Panasonic is used for discs and Chromecast is used for Netflix and other streaming services.
                      4. I may invest in an NVIDIA Shield to stream with instead of the Chromecast, the Shield has better remote distance and better video quality.
                      5. There is no analog setup yet, but JonMarsh and others have shared setup ideas and that could happen once budget is approved and some other projects get completed.

Name:	Fillingame-AV-Architecture-20231003.png
Views:	161
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	949387

Painter in training

Comment

• Alaric
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Jan 2006

And now for something completely different...... My pedestrian set up doesn't really require a diagram-barely a paragraph! I'm just running the digital out of my computer to the Cambridge Audio SR20 I'm using as my DAC. From the SR20 the analog goes to my Marantz PM-KI Pearl, to the "CD" input (unbalanced). For reasons known only to the late Ken Ishiwata, the CD input is the preferred input. I believe it handles a broader frequency range than the others. So my CD5005 player has to sit until I want to hear a CD, then unplug the SR20 and connect the disc spinner. From the Pearl the signal goes to whichever speakers I have hooked up at that moment. Power is distributed by a Monster HTS 1600 working as a filter and surge protector. The power here is horrific and blasted the Schiit out of my Modi 3, hence the 100 wpc receiver being used as a DAC. The Monster also lowered my noise floor considerably, which contributed to a blacker background and more precise soundstage.

That's everything. My main speakers are my trusty Paradigm Studio 60 floorstanders, but they don't sound their best until they have some volume coming out of them. My Tritrix TL speakers are more detailed and coherent at low volume levels, so they often get late night duty. I also have my daughter's Tritrix MTM bookshelf speakers if the bass from the TLs is too much. Interconnects are some generic oxygen free copper DIY'd soldered to Amphenol RCA connectors. I made them out of boredom one day and discovered they sound better than the Mogami ICs I had. They also cost considerably less. LOL Other miscellaneous gear I have consists of a Cambridge Audio Topaz AM5 integrated, a Marantz PM5005 integrated, and a Dayton Audio APA 150 stereo amp.
                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                        Schiit Modi 3
                        Marantz CD5005
                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• dar47
                          • Nov 2008

Hi, Sven

Yours looks very close to my original setup but I had a Marantz AV7002 pre-pro feeding an xpa 5 and xpa 2 for the fronts. To upgrade for the Ardents I had the pre-pro feed a Simaudeo Moon 350p preamp with theater bypass. that would then feed my better Dac (Moon 380d) and Ncore 500 amp replacing the xpa2. This way the Ardents got the better gear for movies or bluray music. When you want music from your server it just goes to your better dac.

Interesting thing to note, my Ncore build and 3 others I know all had flaky Hypex power supplies in our Ncore and Purify builds. I moved on and feed the Ardents with a NAD C298 now, (Purify amp with NAD's power supply). Wanted to do the NAD M23 with Purify but I think that is mostly case Bling over the C298.

I just moved to an Eversolo DMP-A6 for streaming, all my music is still on PC and network but it has an option for on-board 2 tbyte SME drive internal to play music from it to. It's Roon ready so it can be a end point. The biggest advantage the native app for Amazon HD, with Amazon prime it's only $6.00 a month so no more expensive Tidal. I still like Spotify for finding new music but Spotify play lists can be moved to Amazon HD. I think this is the best streaming option now.

Now you have Ardent's they will reword you with what ever front end you can afford to throw at them, they will not bottle neck you!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

It's cool to see you guys with all this stuff hooked up and as your daily driver...

I'm a victim of my deferred projects and new task projects, and until I get speakers at a certain level ready, I don't have anything wired up or playing. [

Also there has been some "discussion" about what will go in the living room and what won't- likely that the room which is currently the back computing and crossover assembly room (aka "Den" in original house plan) will become the high end AV den, including the 4K projector. The living room will be more "low key" esthetically, which is part of the impetus behind the development of the Kii Xtreme Ardent. Little bitty drivers, sort of little bitty cabinets. Will use the more "normal" looking gear in the living room (esthetics VERY important to wife) and the Halcro gear + TotalDAC in the AV Den. She hates the Halcro stuff almost as much as my motorcycles and NSX.
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Obi-Wan
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Alaric
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006

Hates Halcro "stuff"!? 😮 Well, my place is a little small, but, since it's for you..., I guess I can store it for you. In the interest of domestic harmony and such. Not sure how my SO will react to the design, but I'm willing to take that hit for you. LMAO

First world problems. I hope you get something playing music there! I'd lose my mind if forced to deal with this place without that escape.
                              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                              Schiit Modi 3
                              Marantz CD5005
                              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

The temporary sanity solution, going on for a couple of years, is AirPods and a large imported music collection with my Apple Music+ account. It's essential under the circumstances!

Of course, I still can't understand why anyone wouldn't be happy to have these featured in their living room...

Name:	Halcro DM68 at Beverly's copy.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	950294

But then, in spite of my psych degree, I'd never say I really understand women...

the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Obi-Wan
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• theSven
                                  Master of None
                                  • Jan 2014

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                                  The temporary sanity solution, going on for a couple of years, is AirPods and a large imported music collection with my Apple Music+ account. It's essential under the circumstances!

Of course, I still can't understand why anyone wouldn't be happy to have these featured in their living room...

Name:	Halcro DM68 at Beverly's copy.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	950294

But then, in spite of my psych degree, I'd never say I really understand women...

Why not get some glass cut and make them an end table or something by the couch and have some functional hifi amps? They are not bad to enjoy looking at, and with a piece of glass to look like a table, add a lamp, and some photos of the family I'm sure this could be a good compromise...
                                  Painter in training

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by theSven

Why not get some glass cut and make them an end table or something by the couch and have some functional hifi amps? They are not bad to enjoy looking at, and with a piece of glass to look like a table, add a lamp, and some photos of the family I'm sure this could be a good compromise...
                                    Cool idea, apart from when that guest knocks over their drink that they have perched on your very expensive "end Table" and shorts it out, you will then have to deal with Jon's exploding all over the living room! 💥💥💥
                                    Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• Alaric
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Jan 2006

I would be thrilled to make some Halcro twins the centerpiece of my living room. As for understanding women, the inimitable Al Bundy said it best; "Women understand women, and they hate each other". So I just need to get along with them, not understand them. 😁
                                      Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                      Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                      Schiit Modi 3
                                      Marantz CD5005
                                      Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                        Evil Twin commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        Impressive... most impressive!
                                    • Evil Twin
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2004

Nothing else needs saying...

Name:	impressive-darth-vader-2.gif
Views:	84
Size:	978.5 KB
ID:	950300

Name:	Kylo.gif
Views:	82
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	950301

DFAL
                                      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• Paul H
                                        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by JonMarsh

Because of your psych degree, you understand why you never really understand women...
                                        Last edited by theSven; 13 January 2024, 03:21 Saturday. Reason: Fix broken quote

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Paul H

Because of your psych degree, you understand why you never really understand women...
                                          In many cases, that's the most you can hope for. I could go into a lot of details, but I don't have time to write a dissertation this morning- I need to work on some crossovers and cabinets for the project for the Chanellor's CC speakers!
                                          the AudioWorx
                                          Natalie P
                                          M8ta
                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                          Modula MT XE
                                          Modula Xtreme
                                          Isiris
                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                          Minerva Monitor
                                          Calliope
                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                          Obi-Wan
                                          Modula PWB
                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• theSven
                                            theSven commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            I'm sure the Chancellor is looking most forward to the progress you make!
                                        Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"