X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wildmda
    • Jan 2009

802d and Rotel

All,

Will the following two amps adequately power two 802d fronts and htm2 center?

Rotel 1080
    Rotel 1095

Thanks for your help
  • Tweir
    • Oct 2006

At this point with the 802d you will hear more of the rotel and its limits on this
    speaker. As a demo we used two of the rb1092's in a bi-amp mode vs a cap2100 and
    a ma6900, the classe and the mac had a couple of things the rotel did not. The most
    obvious were the dead quite background and the depth of the image. Also somehow
    the weight of the bass felt heavier and stronger on the classe and mac. At a
    latter time we hooked up a friends rb1080 on a system that had a mc402 on it with
    the 802d's. The 1080 had very good bass and could drive the 802's but is was the
    magic that was missing that a speaker like the 802 can give you with good equipment. A totally different speaker with good gear.

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

wildmda,

I think your word 'adequate' is a very good choice. I've had both those amps, and they are very good amps. They will drive the 802D's nicely. The 1080 will drive them a bit better, with improved bass, soundstage and refinement vs. the 1095 (as stereo amps often do vs. multichannel amps). However, I know first hand that the 802D's LOVE power and current. The more, the better. The 1080 and 1095, while quite good, would not bring out the best the 802D's have to offer.

For Rotel, I would start with the 1572. But the better choices would be a 1090 (class A/B), if you could find one, or the 1092 (class D) would drive them quite well. They have loads of current.

As to the HTM2D, either of these amps would be fine for it. It's power hungry, but not like the 802D's.

Having said all this, if the opporunity exists (funding and WAF, if applicable) to get a pair of 802D's (and the matching HTM2D) and you can drive them with these amps, that is something to very seriously consider. The 802D's will be the bedrock of your system. They will have the biggest impact on your system.

What are your current speakers? And do you have these Rotel maps today.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• style
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2006

Hi wildmda,
        I have had the Rotel RB1091-92, 1075 BUT not with a 802D. I have the 803D with the Htm2D.
        If you have at the 802d and the htm2D you NEED a good ampli.
        a good system muss be balanced with every single piece / units.
        Make no sense to have the wonderful 802d with a amp that does not give you the top of your speaker!

Like htsteve wrote, the 802D have a very hungry of power but is not a how much watt do you have but the quality!! I had a 2x RB1092 (1x frnot, 1 for rears) and a RB1091 for the center (htm2D) but wenn I have connected at first a MC205(5x200watt) the sound was very different: now i have a Classe and I'm very happy: the MC sound is not for me I prefer the Classe sound....

the Rotel 1080-1095 are great ampli but the new 15 series is superior and I dont now if the "old A/B serie" is so better vs. the 1572 or the 1575...
        A system is like a puzzle you have to assemble it piece by piece.
        You must choose what you like and go on your target does not get diverted by other solutions in the near future will give no satisfaction
        (money lost and time too)
        (well if you have $$$ to go right now where do you will...)

You have a 802D & the center or no? If you will the 802D the htm2D is the eprfect center-match but if if can have "only" the 802D today go with the mains later you go have the center...

Style

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

I forgot you have the 803S combo today. Are these the amps you have?

Comment

• style
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2006

Hi Steve,

I have B&W803D - Htm2D - 805S - 825sub
            Classe CA5300 - SSP800
            Bluray Pioneer LX91 (09 in Usa or so like that) plus Denon 3800BD
            CD a cdp from Classe is on the way.
            Pioneer Kuro 60"

:T :T :T
            Style

Comment

• wildmda
              • Jan 2009

My setup

HTSteve,

I currently have 803s for fronts, htm3 for center, 685s for backs and Rotel 1080 and 1095 with a denon 3808 receiver.

I am considering moving up to 802d fronts and htm3d center. It is a deal where I have one year to upgrade for the difference between what I paid for the 803s and htm3 and the retail price of the 802d and htm2d. It appears to be around $11k to upgrade. Not sure if that is a good deal or not.

Also, I was wanting to make sure my current configuration could power the new speakers at least for another 12 months until I get more money.

Any additional thoughts? Thanks for your advice and help,

wildmda

Comment

• SoCalCM
                • Oct 2007

The 802Ds will sound much better than the 803Ss with those amps, so IMO the upgrade is definitely worthwhile. I (and I suspect many others) followed a similar route. I bought a pair of 802Ds knowing that my amps (Anthem MCA series) were not really good enough. But even with those amps the speakers were a major upgrade over my prior speakers and I enjoyed them for several months until I could buy my current Classe CA3200. I then added a third 802D for the center.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"