X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wackii
    • Jan 2006

Center speaker placement and stand?

Hi all, I've just moved in to a new house and need some help on where should I place my Statement center speaker? As of now, it's on top of my component rack and not an ideal place for it. I'm thinking of building a stand for it and have it on top of the fireplace (see picture). I just need some ideas or some pictures of a center speaker stand. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks all.

Al,

Click image for larger version

Name:	center speaker placement.JPG
Views:	2907
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	870126
    Last edited by theSven; 06 July 2023, 21:15 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Well, you've got two choices, above or below the TV! Will it sit on the mantelpiece? A couple of shelve brackets (upside down) might be enough.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• wackii
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by mjb
      Well, you've got two choices, above or below the TV! Will it sit on the mantelpiece? A couple of shelve brackets (upside down) might be enough.
      Hi Mjb,

It has to be below the TV. It's way too high if I place it above the TV (probably 12' high right there). I guess I just need ideas on how to build a stand that looks decent right in front of the fireplace. Here is a picture of my whole fronts setup (kinda messy now).

Thanks.

Al,

Edit: The mantel is not strong enough and not big enough to hold this Statement center.

Name:	center speaker placement 002.JPG
Views:	4563
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	853859
      Last edited by theSven; 06 July 2023, 21:15 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• dsrviola
        • Oct 2007

Since you're willing to put a stand in front of the fireplace, you might just want to consider moving your TV down so that it's "sitting" on top of the mantle and putting the center channel below it. That would put the center channel in same plane as your L + R channels which should make for a much more coherent soundstage. I prefer to have my L + R channel in the same plane as the TV.

Cheers

Comment

• savage25xtreme
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by wackii
          Hi all, I've just moved in to a new house and need some help on where should I place my Statement center speaker? As of now, it's on top of my component rack and not an ideal place for it. I'm thinking of building a stand for it and have it on top of the fireplace (see picture). I just need some ideas or some pictures of a center speaker stand. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks all.

Al,
          I think the bigger question here is why are you watching Oprah :lol:

there are some neat stand/rack designs in the HT furniture section of this forum. http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=24055

or if you want to put something in front of the fireplace why not build a component rack that will fit there nicely with the CC on top? Its going to be hard making a new mantle or shelf that will give that statement CC room to breath behind.
          Gavin

BAMTM Build

Comment

• ---k---
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2005

That is tough. I'm guessing the rest of the house made up for this room.

The only suggestions I can offer is to loose the fireplace - drywall over it. I'm guessing that won't make other people happy. )I understand, I got a pole in the middle of my room.) But, if you can't do that, well that limits your options.

Maybe you're just looking for options that would work, and not options that would work and maintain the highest sound quality???

I've seen recommended before to use a CRT TV wall mount for a center speaker. Something like this:

Name:	tvm-21p.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	944304

That supports 80lbs. There are bigger ones. Any onld shelving would work equally as well. You might be able to squeeze that under the TV. But, with all you got going on, I don't think putting it above your tv and angled downward would be your biggest problem.
            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• wackii
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by savage25xtreme
              I think the bigger question here is why are you watching Oprah :lol:
              I knew someone will caught on to this My Fiance is watching it. Thanks for the link.

---k---, Thanks for the suggestion. It's difficult to organize everything and make it looks nice at the same time. My fronts setup are really a mess. The TV mount is a great suggestion but I have no room to mount it. Unless I pull out the mantel which certain someone wont like I'm think of building a stand that wont block the fireplace and looks decent so that I can place my center speaker on. I'm searching all over the web and don't see anyone doing that

Thanks all.

Al,

Comment

• Not2Evil
                • Dec 2008

This is where I started almost a year ago. The statement has to have breathing space from the wall, so I went a different direction.

I think you need a different location or a different speaker. Top / bottom or stands aren't the issue.

Comment

• deewan
                  • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Not2Evil
                  This is where I started almost a year ago. The statement has to have breathing space from the wall, so I went a different direction.

I think you need a different location or a different speaker. Top / bottom or stands aren't the issue.
                  I was just going to say the same thing. The Statement CC needs at least a foot or more behind it.

One ideal would be to build a stand and have the CC angled up a little. Still not sure if that is ideal though since the midrange tunnel will be firing into the fireplace. Here is a pic of the stand I am hoping to build for my CC.

Image not available
                  Last edited by theSven; 06 July 2023, 21:16 Thursday. Reason: Remove broken image link
                  The Old Woods Theater
                  My Various Speaker Builds
                  Statement II Remix build

"Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?"

Comment

• wackii
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by deewan

I was just going to say the same thing. The Statement CC needs at least a foot or more behind it.

One ideal would be to build a stand and have the CC angled up a little. Still not sure if that is ideal though since the midrange tunnel will be firing into the fireplace. Here is a pic of the stand I am hoping to build for my CC.

Image not available

deewan, thanks for the idea and the picture of your stand. It's a beautiful wood stand. I wish I have that stand right now Anyway, I decided to build a stand for my Statement Center speaker. I'm on a tight budget so I'll do my stand using MDF. I'll have to slide the stand and speaker to the side whenever I'm not watching movies. Since my floor is tiles, I will attach 4 nail-on glides under my stand for ease to move. I went to HD and bought some MDF today. I got down and dirty with it as well. All the pieces are cut and rounded. I just need to glue everything together then paint it. That's all for today's work I'll get to it maybe tomorrow.

Here are some pictures.

Thanks.

Al,

Name:	center speaker stand 001.jpg
Views:	1697
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	853875

Name:	center speaker stand 002.jpg
Views:	1690
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	853876

Name:	center speaker stand 003.jpg
Views:	1619
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	853877
                    Last edited by theSven; 06 July 2023, 21:16 Thursday. Reason: Update image location and quote

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2006

Image not available

Maybe you should rename it the Sermon CC. :lol:
                      Last edited by theSven; 06 July 2023, 21:17 Thursday. Reason: Update quote
                      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• deewan
                        • Feb 2009

Good looking mdf stand you have going there. Any finished photos?

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                        Mebbe you should rename it the Sermon CC. :lol:
                        I like that name. After all, the center channel does so all the preaching.
                        The Old Woods Theater
                        My Various Speaker Builds
                        Statement II Remix build

"Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?"

Comment

• wackii
                          • Jan 2006

Good looking mdf stand you have going there. Any finished photos?
                          Here are the finished pictures. It's not the best glossy looking but it's decent enough to stay in the living room.

Name:	stand finished 001.JPG
Views:	2700
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	853906

Name:	stand finished 002.jpg
Views:	1686
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	853907
                          Last edited by theSven; 06 July 2023, 21:17 Thursday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"