X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snommisbor
    • Apr 2009

Advice on a B&W 800 series purchase

Hi,

New to this forum but after reading for a while thought I would get some opinions.

I am looking to buy the B&W 800 series speakers. Probably between the 804s and the 805s. I have a Rotel RX-1052 and plan on getting the RCD-1072 CD Player. I plan on taking some CD's to listen to for reference.

I am not really looking to start a home theater set I already have that with M&K S-150 setup in a dedicated HT. This will be in a living room approx 14x20 and 10 foot ceilings with a kitchen and breakfast area off of it so quite an open room. This will be just for listening to music. My own thoughts are if I get the 805s I have to spend $700 on stands which could be used to go towards the 804s. But I still have to spend another $1000 to get those. So $3500 for 805s or $4500 for 804s. I dont' think moving up to the 803s are worth the extra cost for maybe 20%-30% better sound. And the 803d are twice as much as the 804s but I know sound much better but not wanting to spend that much so this is between the 804s and 805s. I know it is finally going to come down to what sounds best to me, but going back to purchase I could have some of your opinions to use as consideration.

Thanks

Rob
  • kmcheng
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by snommisbor
    Hi,

New to this forum but after reading for a while thought I would get some opinions.

I am looking to buy the B&W 800 series speakers. Probably between the 804s and the 805s. I have a Rotel RX-1052 and plan on getting the RCD-1072 CD Player. I plan on taking some CD's to listen to for reference.

I am not really looking to start a home theater set I already have that with M&K S-150 setup in a dedicated HT. This will be in a living room approx 14x20 and 10 foot ceilings with a kitchen and breakfast area off of it so quite an open room. This will be just for listening to music. My own thoughts are if I get the 805s I have to spend $700 on stands which could be used to go towards the 804s. But I still have to spend another $1000 to get those. So $3500 for 805s or $4500 for 804s. I dont' think moving up to the 803s are worth the extra cost for maybe 20%-30% better sound. And the 803d are twice as much as the 804s but I know sound much better but not wanting to spend that much so this is between the 804s and 805s. I know it is finally going to come down to what sounds best to me, but going back to purchase I could have some of your opinions to use as consideration.

Thanks

Rob
    For an apples-to-apples comparison you will need to add the cost of a subwoofer to the 805S. That would most likely run you another $1000. Therefore, in terms of costs, the 805S and the 804S are really not that much different.

Now that money is out of the picture, you can just focus on which speaker you like better. I like the 805S + stands + subwoofer better. Many people like the 804S better. It really comes down to personal tastes and whether you want to incorporate a subwoofer in your space.

I used to have my 805S in a very similar space as yours, and they had no problems filling up the room.

Comment

• scanido
      • Apr 2006

Hi,
      I dont' think moving up to the 803s are worth the extra cost for maybe 20%-30% better sound. And the 803d are twice as much as the 804s but I know sound much better but not wanting to spend that much so this is between the 804s and 805s.

Thanks

Rob
      for that size room i would get the 803S/D which would be perfect. 805S or 804S may be verging on the smallar size for that room. If you decide on the 804S make sure you get a large enough amp to drive them.

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

First off, welcome to the forum.

I'd get the 804S in a heartbeat. I used to own a pair of them and I think they are a wonderful sounding speaker. I listened to the 805S before I purchased the 804S (I'm a dealer by the way) and thought the 804S was better at dynamics and the bass is better. The 805S is very good and if your room was smaller I'd maybe give it more consideration. With a room that size, you should look more closely at the 804S. I honestly don't have as much experience with the 803S but from what I do have, you would want to upgrade your amplification with those.

As for that receiver, (I'm a Rotel dealer as well so I know that piece pretty well) it will work fine with either the 804S or 805S. Both speakers will improve with better electronics if you think you may want to upgrade latter on. For now you should be fine.

Eric

Comment

• audioqueso
          Super Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

I agree with KMCHENG, it's a matter of personal taste.
          First, better add $1000 for a sub. Really, you'll need a sub. In a smaller room, it will add a good amount of bass, but in anything bigger, you'll want a sub.
          Second, it does come down to taste. I've lived with my pair of 805 and Velodyne sub for 4 years now. Whenever I get a chance to listen to a pair of 804s now, it doesn't sound better to me. It sounds different. Perfectly blend a pair of 805 with a sub, and it still won't have the same sound as the 804. It's just different. If you can, audition both.
          B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• snommisbor
            • Apr 2009

I got the 804s. After some serious listening sessions and for the size of my room the 804s sounded much more dynamic. I just got through setting them up and ran through some music via my itunes and airport and they sound great. The RCD-1072 should be here Friday, I wanted black, so thanks for your input.

Comment

• wgriel
              • May 2006

I got the 804s. After some serious listening sessions and for the size of my room the 804s sounded much more dynamic. I just got through setting them up and ran through some music via my itunes and airport and they sound great. The RCD-1072 should be here Friday, I wanted black, so thanks for your input.
              Congratulations!

Good choice on the RCD-1072. It's a very good CD player and will match your system nicely.

Comment

• Horacio
                • Jan 2005

Congratulations!!

I have 804s and love them. I also hace RCD-1072 and RC-1070, which probably is very similar to the preamp section of your RSX-1052. I used to have also an RB-1080, but beware of what ou wish for, as I wished for the 804s and ended up upgrading amp too!

Enjoy your new system!

Horacio

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"