X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mafoo
    • Nov 2004

805S in large room

My HT is set up in ~1/4 of a large multi-purpose room (~25' x 27'), but seating is only 10' to 11' from the screen. I'm constrained in my center channel size to something like the HTM4S and would naturally match to 805S for left/right. The 805's are advertised as great for small rooms where larger floorstanders don't fit, and I can only demo in a small room at the dealer (and they sound great BTW). I know you generally try to pressurize the entire room with subwoofers, which is likely a Velodyne DD18 in this case, but my assumption for >70Hz is that location relative to the listener is what really matters and not so much the size of the room. Any thoughts? Bad assumption?
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Hi,

The big sub is a must - to pressurise the room... Go for a 80Hz THX cutover to the sub to minimse stain on them The 805S will do fine... Only challenge will be a extreme volumes just becuase the are trying to fill such a large space... You will know if you like it really lounds... If not - go for it..

Geoff

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI,
      Aussie's advice is good but I have my doubts. You are in a really big room. As an owner of 805S's in a much smaller room, I think you will be stressing the speakers even with the high sub crossover frequency. Plus, high crossover frequencies tend to not be successful because they tend to overflow into the critical lower midrange.

I love my 805's but I would suggest that you go for one of the B&W floorstanders. Is there any way you can audition the speakers at home? It's the only way you can tell if it will work.

Sparky

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

Given the space you will have the surround system set up in I think the 805S will work just fine. That speaker will compress much faster than the 804S, or any of the other floorstanding 800 Series for that matter, but it still takes pretty high volume to do it. Since you stated that the HTM3S is too big and you have to go with the HTM4S then there are two things you have to consider.

1. If you going to use the system for serious two channel listening, and having the perfect match in the center isn't as important to you, then look at the 804S much closer.

2. If the system is going to be used for more theater than two channel music, then focus on the 805S. With the correct placement and the right room treatments they will do very will in that room.

As Karma said, you should listen to them in that room if possible before you make the final decision.

Eric

Comment

• mafoo
          • Nov 2004

Thanks. I may consider the 804 paired w/ HTM4S for now and trading-up to HTM3S when I reconfigure by display and stand arrangement.

I'll see if I can demo at home w/ 805 and 804.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Maffo,

Yes if the 804 is an option - then go for it... They will be so much better at high volumes... The separate FST vs Mid Bass gives them an extra 5-6 Db of clean power... Indeed many feel that the 804S is the sweet spot for cost / value in the new 800 series...But but but... Beg steal or borrow and find a way of getting the matching HTM3S... or have nothing - run a phantomn centre... Cost the HTM4 just isn't a match for the midrange quality of the HTM3S with its FST driver... There is always a way of fittng a HTM3S in... And good HT installer will find a way (special mounts etc)

Geoff

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"