805S and 800 Series tweeters damage and how they are connected?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • specialized
    • Apr 2008

805S and 800 Series tweeters damage and how they are connected?

Hi there.. I had a chance to listen 805S in this moment, and before that i had 804... I realized that on 804 tweaters was missalignment left/right (on both speakers wasnt pointed to the center of the rear of the speakers, they were 2-3 mm left or right.. So nat exactly the same..
    Now on 805s that i had a chance to try, i noticed that they are centered, but when i check them for vertical positioning i noticed that one speaker tweater end is 2 mm higher then the other..

Also on one speaker rubber covering is perfectly align over the box of the speaker, on the other one is a bit up and not contact well the box , it's contact the tweeter.. So i notice the difference.. I wonder, on which way tweeters on 800 series are connected? Are they using some bolts? Also i read somewhere that sometimes happened kids or other peoples to try to get the "microphone", so in the case someone use some small force to try to lift, is it easy to damage and to missalign the tweeters? Or u have to use a lot of force to make the damage?

greetings

Darko
  • BassThatHz
    • Jul 2006

I can't speak for the D and S series, but the N and Sig series uses plastic squeeze clips. You can snap the plastic with one hand. The shell is only 1-2 mm's thick and contains a clip attachment that is maybe 2-3mm's thick.

The tweeter has only two points of contact with the shell and the shell has only one with the frame; all three have rubber/gell padding around them.

You can put a bit of force downward, but don't pitch/yaw it more than 1-3mm's. Unless you can hear a difference, its best to just leave it be.

Comment

• specialized
      • Apr 2008

Originally posted by BassThatHz
      I can't speak for the D and S series, but the N and Sig series uses plastic squeeze clips. You can snap the plastic with one hand. The shell is only 1-2 mm's thick and contains a clip attachment that is maybe 2-3mm's thick.

The tweeter has only two points of contact with the shell and the shell has only one with the frame; all three have rubber/gell padding around them.

You can put a bit of force downward, but don't pitch/yaw it more than 1-3mm's. Unless you can hear a difference, its best to just leave it be.
      And how much force can damage them if someone try to lift them? I'm asking this becouse i read that there was a lot of situations when kids or someone tried to lift the tweeters.. So what can happened if someone try to lift the tweeter? How much force someone had to uply on lifting to be able to make damage? Is it possible if someone try to lift the tweeter, just to missalignment the tweeter and dont do other damage? Or the tweeters are fixed in position and no force can make them unaligiment, and too much force would just break them?

greetings

Darko

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by specialized
        And how much force can damage them if someone try to lift them? I'm asking this becouse i read that there was a lot of situations when kids or someone tried to lift the tweeters.. So what can happened if someone try to lift the tweeter? How much force someone had to uply on lifting to be able to make damage? Is it possible if someone try to lift the tweeter, just to missalignment the tweeter and dont do other damage? Or the tweeters are fixed in position and no force can make them unaligiment, and too much force would just break them?
        This is common in stores or where there are kids. If you lift or pull hard on the tweeter housing (or knock it) it will move. They are relatively easy to move. Most minor movements make no real audible difference ot the sound. However if it is loose at all, then there is a possibiluty for vibraiton with deep bass, so push back yourself gently or have a B&W service guy come to your house and do it.

Geoff

Comment

• specialized
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
          This is common in stores or where there are kids. If you lift or pull hard on the tweeter housing (or knock it) it will move. They are relatively easy to move. Most minor movements make no real audible difference ot the sound. However if it is loose at all, then there is a possibiluty for vibraiton with deep bass, so push back yourself gently or have a B&W service guy come to your house and do it.

Geoff
          So u think if that happened it's enough just to push gently? And how loose consider them as loose? Im still not in that situation, but becouse i'm seriosly consider 805s to keep, and i noticed that one tweeter is one mm higher then the other one (the speaker which box was opened on custom check), so i'm trying to be sure that they are definitly right, and also to try to think about possibilities with kids or peoples in the future.. And also, seem that they are not bolted to the box of the speaker, just pressed (i'll would really like to have a chematic or something which way they are connected)

greetings

Darko

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Darko,

I wouldn't worry about 1mm. They are made with a loosish fit using soft mount components so that vibrations from the main speaker are more isolated from the tweeter. Just enjoy the new speakers. You can push then down and they will probably move back. But 1mm is within the tolerance of the soft mounts M&W use!!

I thought you were talking about someing more than that or them being twisted left to right or up and down.

Geoff

Comment

• speakerboy
              • Nov 2005

1mm! They're definitely broken. Just give them to me...I'll take them off your hands. I'm willing to dealing with that error.

Comment

• specialized
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by speakerboy
                1mm! They're definitely broken. Just give them to me...I'll take them off your hands. I'm willing to dealing with that error.
                They are not broken But im very interested how B&W connect the tweeter? And becouse it's part of the home, there is potentialy problems with kids or something.. I just wondering how hard is to damage them, becouse they look to me very sensitive...

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• Zoran
                  • Apr 2005

Well, tell your guests this is not a microphone...lol :-))))

And warn your housekeeper this strange device on top is not handle..!!

BTW, I thought you've already decided to go with 703..??

Comment

• specialized
                    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Zoran
                    Well, tell your guests this is not a microphone...lol :-))))

And warn your housekeeper this strange device on top is not handle..!!

BTW, I thought you've already decided to go with 703..??
                    Nope I was totaly impressed with 805s and also with 703. Too bad that i never had a chance to compare them directly.. So i'll get a chance to have them both for a week, and only one pair would leave my living room this time

Greetings from Palma de Mallorca, and when i get back home, u'll have a chance to help me comparing them with nice a cup of cofee

Darko

Comment

• Zoran
                      • Apr 2005

Very nice, I am available after July 26th...

Comment

• aquaanox
                        • Feb 2007

sorry to re-kindle this old thread, but i also just noticed a 1-2 mm difference in tweeter height between my new 804s - so it seems like this normal.

Comment

• audiofiel10
                          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by specialized
                          So u think if that happened it's enough just to push gently? And how loose consider them as loose? Im still not in that situation, but becouse i'm seriosly consider 805s to keep, and i noticed that one tweeter is one mm higher then the other one (the speaker which box was opened on custom check), so i'm trying to be sure that they are definitly right, and also to try to think about possibilities with kids or peoples in the future.. And also, seem that they are not bolted to the box of the speaker, just pressed (i'll would really like to have a chematic or something which way they are connected)

greetings

Darko
                          I noticed that one tweeter is 1 mm higher than the other...

You must be kidding...

I am listening to 802d's as we speak, they sound awesome...do you think I care tweeters are misaligned...what is that anyway...it's on top of your speaker, doing what it needs to do...

get a life..

Comment

• specialized
                            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by audiofiel10
                            I noticed that one tweeter is 1 mm higher than the other...

You must be kidding...

I am listening to 802d's as we speak, they sound awesome...do you think I care tweeters are misaligned...what is that anyway...it's on top of your speaker, doing what it needs to do...

get a life..

This was like more then year ago. I expect when we pay premium price with attention to details to get details for what we pay for. Anyway i'm very satisfied how they sound so i totaly forgot that tweters are not perfect..
                            On D series , tweeter is perfectly bolted (as i noticed then).

Im just sometimes nervous to pay much much money and to be someone lazy to bolt the things corectly..

I have for example totaly off centered knob on my McIntosh C2300 Preamp, it's work but i dont like becouse it's so much money and totaly off axis...
                            I wont be mad at all if i find this on some confecion brand like LG or Samsung. Im just telling that maybe high end companys have to pay attention to details as we pay prices for them

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• emig5m
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by audiofiel10
                              get a life..
                              Hey now, it's one thing to have a differing opinion, but everyone on here is pretty much civilized even when differing opinions collide. I don't think he needs to get a life. Heck, the B&W 800 series DVD even says something to the effect "everything is double checked, and nothing leaves until it's perfect"... For the price you pay, one would expect to have nothing less than perfection. I can find a few minute imperfections in my 804S, not that I'm a finicky person and they're not bad enough imperfections to really bother me, but mainly because of the slammin' deal I got on them. If I paid full retail + tax, I'd probably take them back under warranty until they where perfect because you're paying a premium for the companies flagship lineup, you should expect perfection IMO. :lol: What if you bought a brand new Lamborghini and body panels weren't lining up, and there where runs in the paint.... (unless you got a HUGE discount, I think you'd have a right to complain)

Comment

• aquaanox
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by emig5m
                                Hey now, it's one thing to have a differing opinion, but everyone on here is pretty much civilized even when differing opinions collide. I don't think he needs to get a life. Heck, the B&W 800 series DVD even says something to the effect "everything is double checked, and nothing leaves until it's perfect"... For the price you pay, one would expect to have nothing less than perfection. I can find a few minute imperfections in my 804S, not that I'm a finicky person and they're not bad enough imperfections to really bother me, but mainly because of the slammin' deal I got on them. If I paid full retail + tax, I'd probably take them back under warranty until they where perfect because you're paying a premium for the companies flagship lineup, you should expect perfection IMO. :lol: What if you bought a brand new Lamborghini and body panels weren't lining up, and there where runs in the paint.... (unless you got a HUGE discount, I think you'd have a right to complain)

I agree - btw i was at my dealer earlier just looking around for other HT stuff and checked a pair of 804s's there to see just how precise the top mounted tweeter fits - none were perfect -- my sales guy confirmed.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"