Any point in buying the spike kit for 800Ds?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JargonGR
    • Feb 2009

Any point in buying the spike kit for 800Ds?

I have placed my 800D speakers on thick Granite plates but I left them with the roller balls they came with. Is it worth it both the trouble and cost to put the optional spikes on them or is it just placebo?

I do not want them to get any higher than they are now since they are already 2cm higher than the original height due to the granite beneath them.
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by JargonGR
    I have placed my 800D speakers on thick Granite plates but I left them with the roller balls they came with. Is it worth it both the trouble and cost to put the optional spikes on them or is it just placebo?

I do not want them to get any higher than they are now since they are already 2cm higher than the original height due to the granite beneath them.

JargonGR,

You're setup with the granite plates is good. It will provide very nice isolation, which is what the spikes would do.

The spikes are a pain to work with, and once you have it in place, you won't be moving those 800D's. And it's possible that the overall height will be be higher with the spikes.

I'd leave it as is.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• William
      • Aug 2006

So far I haven felt the urge or need to put my spikes on. The more I think about the logistics involved and the lack of mobility after installing the less I fell the need. The casters are so much more convenient.

Comment

• kmcheng
        • Jan 2008

I thought the spikes are free from B&W. You just need to get your dealer to order them for you.

However, I would also rather not go through the trouble of putting them on the speakers.

Comment

• 1oldguy
          • Dec 2008

HI

I have the 802D'S and have my Spikes on the way.I may not use them either but figured since they are free with my purchase I wanted them.But no plans either at this point to use them myself.
          A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

I wouldnt use spikes on the 800s. I think that would just look silly.
            B&W

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Spikes are free ask you dealer, or better yet B&W and they will send them to you. It is a question of personal taste

Advantages with Spikes:
              - Better Isolation
              - Can orient the angle by making the front higher or lower than the back

Disadvantages:
              - Can not be moved once installed, unless you can bench press 200lb
              - Are a pain to put on
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• gross30
                • Jun 2005

I have them but not being used as of yet. Not sure if I will use them or not.

Comment

• ray5
                  • Dec 2008

Having placed them on granite do you have any issues with them moving on their own?I have my 802D's on order and waiting for them. I have asked for the spikes but have been considering getting custom granite or marble plates also, I just wanted to prevent denting my hardwood. But with the smooth surface like marble or granite am a little worried that the speakers may move on the rollers that they are on? Thanks,
                  Ray

Comment

• JargonGR
                    • Feb 2009

Well since business wise I am into home construction getting custom granite pieces is really easy for me. So when I ordered the two pieces I had them about 10-15cm wider than the speaker base for two reasons:

A) I asked for a narrow parallelogram "trench" around the plate so that it stops the rollers from dropping off. I made it about 1cm. Yet, I asked for some carving around the plate with a marble router so it looks nice.

B) Having the plates a little bigger than the speaker base (not much since the rollers are even narrower) gives you the advantage of being able to easily adjust the position of the speaker and I mean easy as butter.

The most important thing though is to have the trench because it is really easy to move and drop the speaker down without it.

To improve things further I stuck a thin (0,3mm) sheet of cork at the bottom of the granite plate and on top of that I stuck a piece of billiards cloth (felt??). This way you can also move the plate WITH the speaker on top of it (on wooden floor) although it will take some more effort and you need to push the plate NOT the speaker.

Comment

• JargonGR
                      • Feb 2009

Regarding the feet you persuaded me that it is not worth the trouble especially since I am using granite plates.

I am using the spikes on the HTM1D (which is a lot easier to handle) and fitting them on the 800Ds seems a LOT of trouble to me since it involves moving them from where they are.

Comment

• ray5
                        • Dec 2008

Well since business wise I am into home construction getting custom granite pieces is really easy for me. So when I ordered the two pieces I had them about 10-15cm wider than the speaker base for two reasons:

A) I asked for a narrow parallelogram "trench" around the plate so that it stops the rollers from dropping off. I made it about 1cm. Yet, I asked for some carving around the plate with a marble router so it looks nice.

B) Having the plates a little bigger than the speaker base (not much since the rollers are even narrower) gives you the advantage of being able to easily adjust the position of the speaker and I mean easy as butter.

The most important thing though is to have the trench because it is really easy to move and drop the speaker down without it.

To improve things further I stuck a thin (0,3mm) sheet of cork at the bottom of the granite plate and on top of that I stuck a piece of billiards cloth (felt??). This way you can also move the plate WITH the speaker on top of it (on wooden floor) although it will take some more effort and you need to push the plate NOT the speaker.
                        Great! Could you post some pictures?
                        Ray

Comment

• JargonGR
                          • Feb 2009

Here are some pictures of the granite plates on my B&W 800D

You can see the trench and the cork+felt underneath. Also bear in mind that although I have wooden floor there is no gap between the main floor (which is from concrete) and the wood since it is stuck on top of it.

Comment

• gross30
                            • Jun 2005

Jargon, those look very nice. Beautiful job. They match very cleanly with the speaker base. Good work. :T

Comment

• ray5
                              • Dec 2008

Here are some pictures of the granite plates on my B&W 800D

You can see the trench and the cork+felt underneath. Also bear in mind that although I have wooden floor there is no gap between the main floor (which is from concrete) and the wood since it is stuck on top of it.
                              Absolutely beautiful piece of art! The look great! I would love to have a pair of those for my 802D's. They have arrived at the dealer, being delivered next week. Can't wait. But those pictures are great. Thanks,
                              Ray

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                • Mar 2008

Looks amazing JargonGR! :T

Comment

• JargonGR
                                  • Feb 2009

Hehe thanks guys. The next thing I want to make is a base made of metal (and maybe granite too) for the HTM1D so I can lift it some from the floor and bring it closer to the height of the 800Ds. I want the base to be a replica of the base for the HTM2D but shorter and at the appropriate proportions while also solid (maybe filled with sand) to ensure no resonance. Will let you know since the machinery shop that will make it is so busy right now and will start on in about 2 months.

Comment

• ray5
                                    • Dec 2008

It seems B&W gives complimentary spike sets with all 800 series speakers. The customer has to ask for it. They went to say that if a set has not been issued with certain serial numbers you can still get them by calling B&W or your dealer. If you loose them or bought speakers used from someone who got spikes for them then you have to pay for them.
                                    Ray

Comment

• wettou
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • May 2006

Hehe thanks guys. The next thing I want to make is a base made of metal (and maybe granite too) for the HTM1D so I can lift it some from the floor and bring it closer to the height of the 800Ds. I want the base to be a replica of the base for the HTM2D but shorter and at the appropriate proportions while also solid (maybe filled with sand) to ensure no resonance. Will let you know since the machinery shop that will make it is so busy right now and will start on in about 2 months.
                                      Sell the HTM1D and get yourself an other 800D you will love it :B

3 800D the sound stage will be unbelievable, already with three 802D it sings especially with SACD or Blu Ray Multichannel music

And for movies it is even better
                                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• JargonGR
                                        • Feb 2009

The problem with a third 800D is that it is too high meaning that I would have to move my projector screen higher and then it is too high. I do not want the screen to be more than 80-90cm from the ground and I guess that is the reason that the HTM1D exists. Sure another 800D would be perfection as we have also discussed earlier but I find the HTM1D "raised on a base" to be the gold spot between a "perfect front soundstage" and "perfect viewing angel from my "seating position".

On another note I find it really hard to find a buyer in my country right now for the monstrous HTM1D which also requires hefty amplification.

In the future and after I have finished with all the other upgrades and in another room I might consider it but right now I will chase other upgrades first. My last one was a a pair of 803Ds for surround use and the next one will be 2X SVS PB13-Ultras (I can't wait but I have too) to replace a KEF PSW3500 that I am using for LFE right now and feels like a toy. Damn for a sub it performs worse than my main speakers.

Comment

• ray5
                                          • Dec 2008

My spikes arrived yesterday, man, are they big? They are huge and very impressive!

Comment

• William
                                            • Aug 2006

Originally posted by ray5
                                            My spikes arrived yesterday, man, are they big? They are huge and very impressive!
                                            Are you going to use them? Mine are sitting in my garage. Just to much of a logistical problem to mount them.

Comment

• ray5
                                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by William
                                              Are you going to use them? Mine are sitting in my garage. Just to much of a logistical problem to mount them.
                                              Don't know yet. But definitely am going to put something under the coasters as per the dealer over time they might settle into the hardwood.

Comment

• William
                                                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by ray5
                                                Don't know yet. But definitely am going to put something under the coasters as per the dealer over time they might settle into the hardwood.
                                                I bet the spikes would settle even more into the hardwood. I'm sure you plan on using the plastic/rubber side but it might present about the same problem on your floors since the contact area is about the same.

Comment

• ray5
                                                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by William
                                                  I bet the spikes would settle even more into the hardwood. I'm sure you plan on using the plastic/rubber side but it might present about the same problem on your floors since the contact area is about the same.
                                                  Spike end is not an option for me. Only the rubber end. It poses a problem which it is designed for, that is it won't let the speaker move. The coasters are fine but as you have noticed they move pretty easily when touched even lightly. The other option is to put it on a thick wool rug. So far I don't see any indentation or marks on my hardwood. It also depends what wood you have, mine are oak. Some softer wood will get marked more easily.
                                                  Ray

Comment

• quan325i
                                                    • Apr 2005

I have owned 804N, 805N and now 801N and notice a huge improvement in bass response when I use spikes. So, I would highly recommend using spikes.

QN

Comment

• Relentless
                                                      • Jul 2007

Spikes do help eliminate some vibrations that would transfer to you source components. They will tighten the bass a little also. Try scooching down in you listening position a little because they will raise the tweeter a bit and see if the sound changes to your ear. Of coarse that is if anyone sits exactly the same height every time they listen. I am with everyone else on this, I want to install the spikes but lifting 275lbs to move them after they are installed is going to be an issue. I still want to do it though.
                                                      I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                                                      Lou

Comment

• EmilSA
                                                        • Feb 2012

I realize that I'm jumping into this thread some 3 years after the last post, but I am looking for a complete set of spikes for my 800D's. Mine did not come with them from the dealer in South Africa. Is there any hope of getting a set somewhere?I've ahd a bit of a look around on the Web and can't seem to find a set for sale at present. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"