X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robert L
    • Jul 2008

pre amp's for b&w speakers

hello all, im looking to upgrade from rotel rsp1068 pre amp to the new hd formats, Does anyone recommend another preamp brand or stick with rotels newest. I do mostly hometheater with the 703 sound system, im trying to stay in that 2,000 dollar bracket
  • kmcheng
    • Jan 2008

Emotiva UMC1 if and when it is available.

Rotel 1069 -- You should be able to get some awesome discounts on this one.

Denon 3808 -- You can just use the pre-amp section and keep your existing amp.

Rotel 1570 -- Discounts may not be so sweet on this new model, and it may exceed your budget if the dealer is unwilling.

Or

Get a Blu-ray player that outputs the HD formats in analogue, e.g. the yet-to-be released Oppo. Others in this forum can point you to other ones. This is most likely the most economical and least troublesome route.

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

robert L,

I agree that the most economical way to get the new HD audio formats is with a BR player that can decode the formats.

If you want to go the pre-amp route, then I think that the RSP 1069 plus BR player or the RSP 1570 is logical given your budget and current experience. Either pre-amp will be an improvement sonically and the video scaliing will be excellent for legacy DVD's. These would be excellent for a 703 based system.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• robert L
        • Jul 2008

do u guys mean a bd player with dolbytrue and dtshd will be able to pass the format to the rsp1068 or by getting a 1069 it could work.... right now i use ps3 as bd player

Comment

• Nolan B
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by robert L
          do u guys mean a bd player with dolbytrue and dtshd will be able to pass the format to the rsp1068 or by getting a 1069 it could work.... right now i use ps3 as bd player

Set your PS3 to decode all audio formats and hook it up to a 1069. That makes the most sense IMO.

Comment

• Hammie
            • Oct 2005

Well, the PS3 won't pass the HD codecs over anything but HDMI. Since the 1068 doesn't have HDMI inputs, you would only need to upgrade to a processor/pre-amp with HDMI inputs. Or, like others have said, upgrade your BD player with one that has 7.1 outs and keep your current one.
            Panasonic TC-P65VT30
            Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
            Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
            Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
            B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
            Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
            My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
            Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• robert L
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by louhamilton
              Well, the PS3 won't pass the HD codecs over anything but HDMI. Since the 1068 doesn't have HDMI inputs, you would only need to upgrade to a processor/pre-amp with HDMI inputs. Or, like others have said, upgrade your BD player with one that has 7.1 outs and keep your current one.
              yea im liking that idea more and more, since bd players r so cheap now, like the new s560 from sony..... thanks alot, Rob

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"