X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cmcghee
    • Jun 2017

RSP 1570 W/Audio Technica TT

Greetings....

Has anyone hooked up an Audio Technica Turntable to the RSP 1570??? i just landed one and of course there is no phono /aux input on the 1570. The builtin preamp on the turntable is barely audible after switching it to line mode.. I'm looking at a separate phono preamp but not sure if it will solve the issue. :cry:
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

sorry for the late reply....

.....yes, you will need a separate phono amp.....

i suggest looking at these for budget level, but still on par with the AT turntable...

Cambridge Audio

Schiit
    Last edited by wkhanna; 09 August 2017, 07:16 Wednesday. Reason: phono was phone
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• srb
      • Oct 2004

When using the Audio Technica turntable's built in phono preamp (switch set to LINE position, as you have done) it has ~150mV output (~35dB gain). The line input sensitivity of the RSP-1570 is ~200mV. Although you can get an external MM phono preamp with higher gain and output, you should have a general ballpark match and shouldn't be getting "barely audible" volume.

1. Check the headshell connection by removing and reinserting making sure the locking collar is tightened all the way.

2. Did you balance the tonearm with the counterweight, then apply recommended stylus force (~ 2 grams for AT95E)?

3. (Forgive me for this one in advance) Has the clear stylus guard been removed?

If so, it seems like there could possibly be something wrong with the turntable preamp output. You could try to move the turntable preamp Phono/Line switch back and forth a few dozen times to burnish the contacts and make sure there is no dirt or corrosion causing a problem.

I don't know which model AT turntable you have - if it's one with RCA analog output jacks you might try a different set of cables, but it it's one with captive analog output cable attached there's not much you can do to troubleshoot it. Either way it's not that likely that both channels would have a cable connection problem.

You can likely improve on the sound quality and output level with an external phono preamp, but again, you should be getting a "reasonable" volume output with the present setup.

Steve

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

sorry guys....i missed the part about the "built in" phono-pre......
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"