X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bnieman
    • Jun 2006

Recommended integrated amp for B&W N805 pair

Hello,

Currently in my home office I am running my N805 speakers with a Rotel RC-995 preamp and a Rotel 9808X amp. The amp is 70WPC I believe. It's a very nice sounding setup but the bass could use some more control and I find myself wanting a bit more power.

I am considering upgrading to an integrated amp. Any recommendations? My budget is $1,000 - $1,500 and will probably buy used for the value.

A couple I have been looking into:
    Krell KAV-400xi
    Bryston B60 (although probably not enough power for my tastes)

Cheers!
    Bryan
    Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows
  • Sounder
    • Oct 2007

I would recommend you consider emotiva or the marantz reference series. I looked at some tube amps for my CDM 1NTs. After listening to them all, I thought the Marantz PM 15S1 had the best sound stage and best overall sound. It can be a little thin on the lower bass, but your speakers can't produce the lowest bass anyway. The mids and highs are great with the Marantz. On my theater setup, I have 9NTs with emotiva amps, and they sound awesome as well. The RPA2 would make your speakers sound great!

Comment

• bnieman
      • Jun 2006

Thanks for the input Sounder

I believe my B&W dealer carries the Marantz, I'll have to take a look at the Marantz PM 15S1 tomorrow but at $2,000 that is out of my price range.

I am a bit skeptical of Emotiva. I have read they are good value but still don't surpass Rotel as far as sound quality. I am looking for something to really make a difference in my system. I would think the Emotiva would give me near the same results I have now with my Rotel setup. Then again I am going going on hear/say.

Have you had any experience with Krell or Bryston equipment?

Regards,
      Bryan

Comment

• KyaDawn
        • Mar 2008

Personally, I have the Denon 4308 for as my HT pre/pro and to power my 805S surrounds at 140wpc. I paid just a little over USD$2,000 here in Hong Kong, but don't know the pricing in US. They probably have a model that's within your price range and which offers more than 70wpc. Not sure if you are just running stereo, but these are 7.1 HT receivers though, which could be a good thing if you want to run a multi-channel set-up or unnecessary if you are just looking for a stereo integrated amp.

Comment

• Briz vegas
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Denon receiver would be a backward step from Rotel separates or a good integrated. I run an integrated myself but I went well over your price limit.
          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
          Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Blindamood
            • Sep 2003

There are a number of integrateds I've been looking at lately that might work for you. Some of the brands to look at are Music Hall, Creek, Bel Canto, or Nuforce. Bel Canto and Nuforce are Class-D, so you get quite a bit of power for the price. I've seen several on audiogon lately for pretty decent prices.

I just purchased a Creek Evolution integrated amp...got a very good price on an open, yet new, unit. Arriving today and will be hooked up to my bedroom system, running B&W CWM-650 in-walls. Currently using an Onkyo A-9555 that I really like, but its size it a bit large for the space. (Alright, I know, a weak reason to try something new...but it works for me!) The Onkyo is also a digital amp, delivering 85 wpc.

I'll be putting the Onkyo up for sale soon on audiogon, but it is well below the price range you're looking at.
            Brad

Comment

• energyandair
              • Jan 2009

I run 805 Matrix speakers with a Creek 5350SE.
              I think that the Creek would also do well with the N805s.

David

Comment

• y2kavengeres
                • May 2008

Before I got my 804's for the front speakers, I was running a Bryston B60R on my 805's. Great sound, although it may be less power than you're looking for. Bass control is good, although bass from the 805 is limited to begin with. I've been considering selling the Bryston for awhile now, only using it as a pre-amp, and am located pretty close to you. PM me for more details if you're interested.
                Pioneer Elite SC-05
                B&W 804
                B&W 805
                B&W HTM4
                Rega Planet CD player

Comment

• atchudy
                  • Nov 2007

Check out the Classe CAP-151 for 935 on audiogon

Comment

• bnieman
                    • Jun 2006

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I will definitely be doing some research on your suggestions. In my home theater I am running a Rotel RSP-1068/RMB-1085 and am very happy with the Class D on my B&W 703 speakers. One day I brought the RMB-1085 upstairs and gave it a whirl with my RC-995 preamp in the office with the N805 speakers and it wasn't a very noticeable improvement over the 9808X. A little cleaner sound, but overall the timbre was similar.

Here is what I have gathered from your posts:
                    Classe CAP-151
                    Creek 5350SE
                    Creek Evolution
                    Music Hall,
                    Bel Canto
                    Nuforce
                    Marantz PM 15S1

@Blindamood: Let me know what you think of the Creek Evolution integrated amp and how it compares to your Onkyo.

@KyaDawn: I am very familar with the Denon AVR receivers. I actually have one in the house currently in the family room which we only use when we have guests over for background music. I have tested it against my Rotel separates in the office and Rotel separates in my home theater much prefer the sound of the Rotel. Regarding Denon's output power, it is usually far less than what they spec which is very misleading. I don't know where Denon, Yamaha, and Pioneer come up with their numbers!

Regards,
                    Bryan

Comment

• Blindamood
                      • Sep 2003

There is a good review of a number of sub-$1500 integrateds in Playback magazine Issue #7. There is a link to the article on the cover page.
                      Brad

Comment

• kmcheng
                        • Jan 2008

I ran the Bel Canto S300I integrated aim for my 805S with very satisfying results. At 150wpc there is plenty of power for the speakers. The used ones available on Audiogon should be well within your price range.

Comment

• audiolab1
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by bnieman
                          Hello,

Currently in my home office I am running my N805 speakers with a Rotel RC-995 preamp and a Rotel 9808X amp. The amp is 70WPC I believe. It's a very nice sounding setup but the bass could use some more control and I find myself wanting a bit more power.

I am considering upgrading to an integrated amp. Any recommendations? My budget is $1,000 - $1,500 and will probably buy used for the value.

A couple I have been looking into:
                          Krell KAV-400xi
                          Bryston B60 (although probably not enough power for my tastes)

Cheers!
                          Bryan
                          My brother is using a high end NAD S300 with his N805s and the sound is excellent! My feeling is that the amp is a real sleeper and can be found for around $1k used.

Comment

• bnieman
                            • Jun 2006

Originally posted by audiolab1
                            My brother is using a high end NAD S300 with his N805s and the sound is excellent! My feeling is that the amp is a real sleeper and can be found for around $1k used.
                            I'll add it to my research list, thanks!

Comment

• KyaDawn
                              • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                              Denon receiver would be a backward step from Rotel separates or a good integrated. I run an integrated myself but I went well over your price limit.
                              Yes, that may be true, but he's talking about spending between $1,000 - $1,500. Perhaps if he buys used, he can find something better in this price range, but new, it would be hard to beat one of the "mid-fi" Japanese brands.

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                • Mar 2008

@KyaDawn: I am very familar with the Denon AVR receivers. I actually have one in the house currently in the family room which we only use when we have guests over for background music. I have tested it against my Rotel separates in the office and Rotel separates in my home theater much prefer the sound of the Rotel. Regarding Denon's output power, it is usually far less than what they spec which is very misleading. I don't know where Denon, Yamaha, and Pioneer come up with their numbers!
                                Depends on which model number you have. Denon has some "super budget" models, even for them, which start out at $300 new and 50wpc, costing about one-eighth of the model I mentioned. And there are far nicer and more expensive Denon models than the one I mentioned, so it would be inaccurate to paint all Denon receivers with the same brush.

Still, Denon's strengths are in HT and multi-channel, and the many features they provide. If your interest is purely stereo and audio quality, it's true you could probably do a lot better with your budget, especially if you buy second-hand.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                  • Jun 2006

Check out Musical Fidelity products. The A308 Series is really nice and within your budget.

Comment

• Blindamood
                                    • Sep 2003

@Blindamood: Let me know what you think of the Creek Evolution integrated amp and how it compares to your Onkyo.
                                    Bryan, I got the Creek Evolution hooked up today, and have some initial opinions. First of all, it is very substantial, meaning it is quite heavy, and very well built. It's got quite a thick brushed faceplate, and matching silver feet. I also like the digital display (blue) of the current input and volume. I've let it run pretty much all day today, and the sound is very detailed and punchy. Sounds very good, although probably very similar to the Onkyo.

Here's the big downside, which I discovered right away...there is no Standby mode! You can only turn it on or off by pushing the power button on the front. This may not be a big deal for some, but I'm using this in the bedroom, and my wife uses this system more than I. So, the choices are either to ask her to turn it on/off each time she uses it, or leave it on all the time (which the manual recommends NOT to do)...which do you think I'll have to go with? :roll:
                                    Brad

Comment

• bnieman
                                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Blindamood
                                      Bryan, I got the Creek Evolution hooked up today, and have some initial opinions. First of all, it is very substantial, meaning it is quite heavy, and very well built. It's got quite a thick brushed faceplate, and matching silver feet. I also like the digital display (blue) of the current input and volume. I've let it run pretty much all day today, and the sound is very detailed and punchy. Sounds very good, although probably very similar to the Onkyo.

Here's the big downside, which I discovered right away...there is no Standby mode! You can only turn it on or off by pushing the power button on the front. This may not be a big deal for some, but I'm using this in the bedroom, and my wife uses this system more than I. So, the choices are either to ask her to turn it on/off each time she uses it, or leave it on all the time (which the manual recommends NOT to do)...which do you think I'll have to go with? :roll:
                                      Is there no power button on the remote?

I have been looking into the aforementioned brands... I like how the Bel Canto has the option to have the USB input. Anyone know how good their DAC is? I would be using that input almost exclusively in my office.

I've decided I want at least 125WPC, as I feel the sound is strained on my current Rotel setup which is 70WPC... which I know there are so many other factors, but I want to play it safe.

I think I've got it down to:
                                      Krell Kav-400xi
                                      Bel Canto S300iUSB

Anyone demoed both brands before?

Cheers,
                                      Bryan

Comment

• Blindamood
                                        • Sep 2003

Unfortunately, no.
                                        Brad

Comment

• kmcheng
                                          • Jan 2008

I have been looking into the aforementioned brands... I like how the Bel Canto has the option to have the USB input. Anyone know how good their DAC is? I would be using that input almost exclusively in my office.

I've decided I want at least 125WPC, as I feel the sound is strained on my current Rotel setup which is 70WPC... which I know there are so many other factors, but I want to play it safe.

I think I've got it down to:
                                          Krell Kav-400xi
                                          Bel Canto S300iUSB

Anyone demoed both brands before?

Cheers,
                                          Bryan

I listened to the Krell a while back and I have a Bel Canto S300i at home. In both cases they were powering the 805S. I can give you my impressions, but it is by no means a scientific comparison.

To me I think the Krell sounded a little brighter than the Bel Canto. Also, the Bel Canto was less forward sounding. When I really turned up the volume on both units, I think the Krell could play louder.

Some other features to consider:
                                          1) I think the Krell has balanced inputs, which might explain why it could play louder.
                                          2) The Krell got considerably warmer even when idle.
                                          3) The Krell has no DAC in it.
                                          4) The Bel Canto has a much smaller footprint, and is much lighter.

Overall, I thought the Krell could be a better match to my listening preferences. (I like the sound stage forward and the volume loud.) However, due to my space constraints I am probably not going to switch to Krell for now.

I have no experience with the DAC in the S300iUSB. I do have a DAC3 separately and I think it is a great, but ridicously overpriced, product.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• bnieman
                                            • Jun 2006

Great information kmcheng! If I had to describe my listening preference, I could also say I like the sound stage forward and the volume loud.

I am aware the Krell runs hot, which won't be an issume. (I live in Wisconsin so in the Winter it's great... perhaps ask me again in our sweltering August

The DAC is not a necessity, as I have a great sound card (Auzentech Prelude X-Fi) and I am very happy with the analog out.

Size and weight are also not an issue, regardless it will be taking up less than my Rotel separates are currently. The Krell will take up just as much space as my preamp is now which is a good size for the space.

Thanks again for your input, everyone's input at that. I appreciate it!

Cheers,
                                            Bryan

Comment

• wettou
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • May 2006

My favorite the CAP-2100 with a CA-2100 :T It makes a CAP-4000 :B
                                              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Blindamood
                                                • Sep 2003

I decided that the lack of standby mode on the Creek Evolution was a deal-breaker for me, for use in a bedroom system. So, I put up on audiogon for sale and...

...bought an Arcam Solo Mini! Puts out 25wpc and has an integrated CD player, tuner, and a bunch of other goodies. Should be plenty to drive my B&W CWM-650s...will report back when I get a chance to try it.
                                                Brad

Comment

• atchudy
                                                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by wettou
                                                  My favorite the CAP-2100 with a CA-2100 :T It makes a CAP-4000 :B
                                                  really? This would work the same as a the similar external amp, bypassing the internal one?

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"