X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noname
    • Feb 2009

Help with centre to pair with 805's

Hi guys,
    I am in need of some help picking a centre speaker. I am currently using a 2ch system, and looking to buy components to make a 5.1 system. I have a Classe cap-2100 and a pair of 805's. I am thinking of adding a Rotel receiver.

I like the look of the HTM7 but was not sure if it would be too big of a mismatch!?

Suggestions on rears would be great!

Thanks for your help!
  • William
    • Aug 2006

Best Choice BY FAR would be another 805S. 2nd best choice (and only other to timbre match) would be a HTM4S.

Rears: The BEST choice (and for me the only choice since I hate the no high and no lows bose-poles, I mean awful sounding bi-poles) would be 805S's.

Comment

• bvk_houtx
      • Apr 2005

I agree with the 805S or the HTM4S for the center. You may want to look at the SCMS for the rear speakers.

Comment

• 2channellover
        • Jan 2009

I recently demoed a 805s setup with 805s LCR, 805s paired with the htm4s, and htm3s.

If HT is big in your plans and you want a traditional CS spkr I would bypass the HTM4s and buy the HTM3. I'm a big believer in HT your CS needs to be able to carry a full range as all kinds of stuff is sent to that channel. I wasn't that impressed with the 4s in the demos I listened to, the lows in the voices, and other low signals noticeably loss something to the 805s if the sound panned across screen. The htm3s was a better fit IMO.

The 805s LCR was actually my second choice, a friend of mine has a 5.1 channel setup with 5 805s and a great sub and it's very nice for HT

Comment

• William
          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by 2channellover
          ...If HT is big in your plans and you want a traditional CS spkr I would bypass the HTM4s and buy the HTM3...
          The HTM3 is a poor timbre match for the 805's (most important (to me)), expensive in comparison and in a different class.

Comment

• noname
            • Feb 2009

Thanks for you help. I think I will have to check out a few dealers and see what kind of demo I can get.

I do like the HTM3, but another 805 is an interesting idea.

If I had my way however I would swap the 805's for signature diamonds! Those speakers sold me very quickly! a little pricey for me haha oh well.

I will let you know what I decide.

Thanks again

Comment

• style
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2006

Hi noname,

I have the 805S as rear in my system but the better solution is sure the htm3s.

I have had the htm4s with the 703 and with the 805s in front position...but
              the htm3s is the best way.

Spend your money only once... and buy the HTm3s
              If you buy the htm4s after a short time yuo are not satisfied with the claimed loss of money and go to the htm3s .. so buy the thm3s now and stop....top center, money once out and no more doubt...

With the htm3s you can in the future go whit other mains serie 8 and the center is correct. with the htm4s in case of upgrade will be changed....

style

Comment

• KyaDawn
                • Mar 2008

The HTM4S is the best timber match for the 805Ss, but if you go with the HTM3S, certainly with home theater, it wouldn't be nearly as noticeable. Though your center speaker would be better than your other fronts, that isn't necessarily that bad since the center speaker is the most important in home theater.

With the HTM3S, when it's time to upgrade later, you can use the 805Ss as surrounds and add a pair of 804S, perhaps, as fronts, AND you can move whatever speaker you decide on as surrounds for your 5.1 to be your rears to make 7.1.

Comment

• Antus
                  • Apr 2008

If you have a large room, HTM3 can play louder than HTM4. Plus, if you are upgrading ur main speaker in the future, it is worth the investment.

a receiver is usually not a good idea for b&w 8xx serious speakers. maybe a rotel pre/pro or Marantz 8003av.

for theater, subwoofer is very important. especially if you have small main speaker, a good sub should come before center and surrounds.

Comment

• 2channellover
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by William
                    The HTM3 is a poor timbre match for the 805's (most important (to me)), expensive in comparison and in a different class.
                    I appreciate your input William. I'm aware the HTM4s is supposed to timbre match with the 805s. But my "subjective" opinion is just based on what I heard. The 3s sounded better than 4s.

FWIW - I don't think any 800 series speaker is a "poor" timbre match when you're upgrading the center in HT.
                    Last edited by 2channellover; 26 February 2009, 12:19 Thursday. Reason: spelling

Comment

• William
                      • Aug 2006

I appreciate your input William. I'm aware the HTM4s is supposed to timbre match with the 805s. But my "subjective" opinion is just based on what I heard. The 3s sounded better than 4s.

FWIW - I don't think any 800 series speaker is a "poor" timbre match when you're upgrading the center in HT.
                      Midrange is the most telling in timber matching and the FST has a different voice than the mid/bass driver. I don't see the need for the HTM4 at all since if it will fit another (and perfect matched) 805 will likely fit also. People just are "pre-conditioned" to believe that the center *requires a special purpose speaker.

*if you have an old CRT you do need the magnetic shielding added to a detected center.

Comment

• style
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006

i have had the Htm7 than the Htm4s: ok better but with the 3s you don't have no mor "problems"!!

With the 805s I dont will go with a htm4s: you can go make a system with 4 x 805s and the 3s as center: I will be very happy!!!.

Style

Comment

• 2channellover
                          • Jan 2009

[QUOTEI don't see the need for the HTM4 at all since if it will fit another (and perfect matched) 805 will likely fit also. People just are "pre-conditioned" to believe that the center *requires a special purpose speaker.

*if you have an old CRT you do need the magnetic shielding added to a detected center.[/QUOTE]

I agree w/ you on the 805s LCR. I mentioned earlier, a friend of mine has 5 in his 5.1 HT system with a SVS sub, and it sounds great. I think most people buy a traditional CS spkr for the magnetic shielding whether they need it or not.

Maybe I'm atypical in this regard, but I think perfect timbre matching across the front in HT is overblown. Obviously they need to be close, but some of the best HT systems I've heard, the CS spkr was a higher class spkr from the same manufacturer.

Tony

Comment

• wgriel
                            • May 2006

Maybe I'm atypical in this regard, but I think perfect timbre matching across the front in HT is overblown. Obviously they need to be close, but some of the best HT systems I've heard, the CS spkr was a higher class spkr from the same manufacturer.

Tony
                            I'm with you on this -- when it comes to movies anyway. For movies, I'd much rather have the better quality center than one that happens to "match". I can see matching being important if this is primarily for music though.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"