X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SoundEngine355
    • Feb 2008

804s/HTM3s good combo for HT?

As a previous owner of the 803D and HTM2D I was very impressed with the sound and quality of the speakers, I've since sold them and now have the money to re-purchase some good quality speakers, I cannot afford to go back to the D range, but was thinking the 804s and HTM3s are a good match, they are using the same drivers.

I would use them for HT only.
    SoundEngine355

-------------------
    [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

SoundEngine355,

The 804 and HTM3S would be excellent fot HT. I had N804's and an HTM1. I liked them very much. One thing to consider is that 800 series are really made for dedicated amps. They love current. Recievers will sound good with them, but they are quite capable and really need an amp.

You might consider finding some 700 series if still available or the CM series plus a good amp, like the Rotel RB-1575 (250 X 5). You can still use the Denon as a pre-amp until you can get a dedicated pre-amp.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• garak
      • Jul 2007

I agree, the 804S and HTM3S are excellent for HT use. I went the opposite direction from you SoundEngine355. I originally had the 804S and HTM4S as my front 3, and have since gone to the 803D, HTM2D.

I thought the 804S, HTM4S were great for HT.

Comment

• Hberg
        • Apr 2008

I have the 804s with the HTM3s. The front is powered by a Classe CA-3200 with the SSP-800 as the processor. Personally, I am very happy with the set-up from a 2-Channel and HT perspective. Before I upgraded to the Classe products I was using a Marantz receiver (SR7001), and the 804s/HTM3s combo sound nice as well. Not quite as nice as with the Classe products, but nice all the same. I purchased the CA-3200 shortly there after and ran it through the Marantz.

For reference purposes ...

There are pictures of my set-up when I had the Marantz SR7001 and the CA-3200 in the Classe Club in the thread "Pictures of your Classe Gear" (page 3). I have yet to take a new picture.

My current system consists of:

Classe' SSP-800
        Classe' CA-3200
        B&W 804S (L&R)
        B&W HTM3S (Center)
        Rotel RMB-1075
        B&W Signature 7 (L&R Surround)
        B&W CCM817 (L&R Surround Back)
        SIM2 Domino 30H
        Stuart 100" Screen
        Playstation 3
        RTI T2C Remote
        Rotel RT-1084
        Denon DVD-2900
        Denon CDRW-1500
        Apple TV
        "If 'A' equals success, then the formula is 'A = _ X + Y + Z.' 'X' is work. 'Y' is play. 'Z' is keeping your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• Charlieu
          • Oct 2008

I'm running the 804s and HTM3 powered by a Pioneer SC-07. Movies and music sound great. My only gripe is that the HTM3 is a sealed unit, so even though the 804s has the same drivers, running the speakers full range doesn't give the same sound. I cross over to a sub which seems to mitigate the problem.

Coming from a larger speaker, I would think you should be concerned about the volume of sound these put out. I sit about 10 feet from mine and it is a room filling experience. My room is pretty well treated so I'm not fighting cancellations and nulls.

Charlie

Comment

• misterdoggy
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

I think they are all good. The htm3s is similar to the ol htm1

Still a great speaker. Of course the 2d is a step up and probably worth the $$ if you are serious and have the cash.

Comment

• SoundEngine355
              • Feb 2008

Yeah I'm thinking:

B&W 803D with HTM2D
              2 x Velodyne DD15 or 2 x SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofers
              SoundEngine355

-------------------
              [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• ray5
                • Dec 2008

[QUOTE=Charlieu] My only gripe is that the HTM3 is a sealed unit, so even though the 804s has the same drivers, running the speakers full range doesn't give the same sound. I cross over to a sub which seems to mitigate the problem.

I am new to all this but could you elaborate what you mean by this?
                Ray

Comment

• ShadowZA
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by SoundEngine355
                  ... was thinking the 804s and HTM3s are a good match, they are using the same drivers.

I would use them for HT only.
                  In my opinion the 804s & HTM3s presents a wonderful match. You might not want to put too much low-end pressure on the 804s's and therefore crossing over to the sub at 80Hz should do it. :T

Comment

• Charlieu
                    • Oct 2008

[QUOTE=ray5]
                    Originally posted by Charlieu
                    My only gripe is that the HTM3 is a sealed unit, so even though the 804s has the same drivers, running the speakers full range doesn't give the same sound. I cross over to a sub which seems to mitigate the problem.

I am new to all this but could you elaborate what you mean by this?
                    Ray
                    This is something that only affects the lower frequencies. A sealed system will give you tighter bass, but not go as low as a ported system with all other factors such as drivers and cabinet construction remaining the same. Panning the sound between a ported and sealed speaker will result in a different sound coming from each of the speakers. As I mentioned, using a sub to handle the lower frequencies will take this difference out of the equation and result in consistant sound across all three of your front speakers.

Comment

• ray5
                      • Dec 2008

[QUOTE=Charlieu]
                      Originally posted by ray5

This is something that only affects the lower frequencies. A sealed system will give you tighter bass, but not go as low as a ported system with all other factors such as drivers and cabinet construction remaining the same. Panning the sound between a ported and sealed speaker will result in a different sound coming from each of the speakers. As I mentioned, using a sub to handle the lower frequencies will take this difference out of the equation and result in consistant sound across all three of your front speakers.
                      Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"