X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nonzerosum
    • Feb 2009

need advice from B&W gurus

I am trying to put together a ht. Would like to keep my DM610's from the mid 90's.

Can anyone suggest what might be a good timber match centre? Or should I even bother and buy a new set of matched speakers?

thx
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

nonzerosum,

To be honest, you should save and get at least the front three matched speakers. Speaker technology at B&W has advanced quite a bit in that time. In the long run, a matched set will bring the most integrated, high performing system. I would also move the DM610's to the rear, keeping all five speakers 'in the family'.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by htsteve; 02 February 2009, 08:05 Monday.

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by htsteve
      To be honest, you should save and get at least the front three matched speakers. Speaker technology at B&W has advanced quite a bit in that time. In the long run, a matched set will bring the most integrate, high performing system.
      YES, YES YES, three 802D I love it :T
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• crytklmass
        • Dec 2008

I agree too!
        BOB

Comment

• William
          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by wettou
          YES, YES YES, three 802D I love it :T
          Do you have 802D's for the rears also? If so that is THE setup.

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

Originally posted by William
            Do you have 802D's for the rears also? If so that is THE setup.
            Front L/C/R B&W 802D
            Back L/R B&W 802N
            Rear: B&W Signature 7NT (in Ceiling)
            Sub JL Audio Fathom F113
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• William
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by wettou
              Front L/C/R B&W 802D
              Back L/R B&W 802N
              Rear: B&W Signature 7NT (in Ceiling)
              Sub JL Audio Fathom F113
              The 802N must be former mains move to surround duty. :W That's a hell of a rear (total) speaker setup. I dislike dipoles and have never understood why people use them in a HT since they are designed to cover a large venue and are a BIG compromise on SQ. I had 804N's as my rears but wasn't quite happy with the aluminum tweeter's timbre match so I moved my 803D's to the rear to and bought 802D's for the mains. Do you notice any differences in the timbre match in the Diamonds in the front and the aluminum's in the rear?

Great sub also. ;x(

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

OK back on topic.

As htsteve said, it's going to be tough to find a sonic match today. If you really want to keep your DM610s then just listen to both 600 Series and the CM Series centers to see if one will work for you. The current 600 Series is the closest line to that DM Series so I would start there. My guess is the current center channel speakers will not sound very similar.

Eric

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by William
                  The 802N must be former mains move to surround duty. :W That's a hell of a rear (total) speaker setup. I dislike dipoles and have never understood why people use them in a HT since they are designed to cover a large venue and are a BIG compromise on SQ. I had 804N's as my rears but wasn't quite happy with the aluminum tweeter's timbre match so I moved my 803D's to the rear to and bought 802D's for the mains. Do you notice any differences in the timbre match in the Diamonds in the front and the aluminum's in the rear? Great sub also. ;x(
                  Thank you, "Do you notice any differences in the timbre match in the Diamonds in the front and the aluminum's in the rear?"

Yes for multichannel SACDs but not with movies Yes I moved the 802N to the back they work great

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

Hi nonzerosum,

I have a pair of DM610i speakers which are now doing excellent duty in my son's bedroom. For a while they were in my living room with my CDM9NT floorstanders. I can tell you they sound quite different to my CDM9NTs. I would describe the CDM9NT as bright and detailed with tight but somewhat shy bass, whereas the DM610i is warm, less detailed with looser but fuller bass. Make sense?

I can understand why you want to keep your DM610s. If they are anything like the DM610i (which they probably are) then they are very easy listening speakers.

Nigel.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"