X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gross30
    • Jun 2005

N800/mono Match

Just looking for some input, I am going to be replacing my older Classe 15 monoblocks, and will be matching up with the N800. I have heard the MC 501's and CA-M400. Are any of these going to be enough power, or should I be looking for more. Any insight or tips would be very appreciated. :T
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

gross30,

Both the Mac and Classe monoblocks are very good, and have ton's of power. Are the N800's in a really large space? For Mac, the next step up would be the 1201 (yes, 1200 watts!). It would be more power, but the best thing to do demo the new monoblocks.

How did you like the 501's and CAM400's? Your ears are your best guide, especially if you can demo them at home.

Another thing to consider is that Mac often runs a trade up program. You get 75% of the list price of your mono or stereo amp (and electronics) towards another product. this might be useful if you decide to get an MC501. If you decide later you want more, this program could offer a path.
    I'm not sure if Classe has a program like this. Hopefully some Classe owners will chime in.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• gross30
      • Jun 2005

Thanks htsteve, the room is 20' x 16'. The 15's in mono configuration are rated at 700 watts into 8 ohms. I had them powering a set of 800 S3's. Also running 2 DD-15's for subs, mostly ht. With the "new" N800's I am concerned about whether or not the newer mono's (MC-501, CA-M400) will give me what I want. I do like the extra headroom with the more powerful mono's, but you do have to be careful. If you start really hammering these N800 with 1200 watts, I think they would be in the repair shop in no time. Both the Mac and Classe newer mono's sounded great. I know the match up with the Classe is a great match, but the Mac's are no sloutch either. I guess another consideration would be some Krell 700 mono's. Any one of the 3 manufacturers would be a good choice. :B

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by gross30
        Thanks htsteve, the room is 20' x 16'. The 15's in mono configuration are rated at 700 watts into 8 ohms. I had them powering a set of 800 S3's. Also running 2 DD-15's for subs, mostly ht. With the "new" N800's I am concerned about whether or not the newer mono's (MC-501, CA-M400) will give me what I want. I do like the extra headroom with the more powerful mono's, but you do have to be careful. If you start really hammering these N800 with 1200 watts, I think they would be in the repair shop in no time. Both the Mac and Classe newer mono's sounded great. I know the match up with the Classe is a great match, but the Mac's are no sloutch either. I guess another consideration would be some Krell 700 mono's. Any one of the 3 manufacturers would be a good choice. :B

gross30,

It's a good size room, but not giant. Also, you say configured at 700 watts. Are the Classe 15's stereo amps that can be bridged into a mono? At that level (Classe), I won't worry as much about bridging. However, I generally don't like bridging, as distortion can increase. I've learned that speakers and amps at this level are extremenly high performing and revealing. Any little improvement can come through. That's why I think true monoblocks are a great way to go.

There is a forum member (Misterdoggy) who had 501's driving 802D's. He upgraded to 800D's. He ran both 501's and 1201's on these. Look for his threads, they should be insightful.

I agree, Mac, Classe or Krell mono's would be great. Hopefully, your ears will make the task easier. I demoed all three. All were excellent, with each having their own strengths. My ears liked to total package of the Mac's. But that's me.

Have fun testing. Hope this helps.

Comment

• gross30
          • Jun 2005

htsteve, each Classe amp is switched to mono use at the back. Sorry for the confusion. Each s3 has its own mono 15. I will read up on misterdoggy's 501's and 1201's. I think that the 800d is definably a greater beast than the n800. Just too much out of my price range for the d's.

Comment

• htsteve
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

I certainly understand about the 800D's, great speakers, definitely expensive.
            The N800's are quite awesome as well.

What is your pre-amp?

I think those threads will help you get a feel for the 1201's capabilites, as well as how the 501's did with them.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
              • Jun 2006

htsteve, each Classe amp is switched to mono use at the back. Sorry for the confusion. Each s3 has its own mono 15. I will read up on misterdoggy's 501's and 1201's. I think that the 800d is definably a greater beast than the n800. Just too much out of my price range for the d's.
              Get your new N800's and hook them up with the Classe amps that you have right now and live with them for a while before making any changes. When you have a different speaker on the way its easy to get excited and want to replace amps and other components before actually trying what you already have.

The Classe DR 15's will probably do exactly what you want them to do. The only possible concern that I see is that they are bridged, which may mean that less than 4 ohms can be an issue at high output. The N800's will dip below 4 ohms and have other issues that make them demand a lot of current. But then again your amps are rated at 1400 watts at 4 ohms bridged so all of this is most likely a non-issue. The new Bryston 28B SST's are configured as series "bridged" amps (meaning that they really don't like to go below 4 ohms) and I doubt that they have any issue driving N800's.

You should also try the DR15's as stereo amps, one for each speaker and bi-amp the speakers. Just go to Radio Shack and get some $3 "Y" connectors and give it a try, you can get better connectors later if you like it. In this configuration you will have 350 at 8 ohms and 700 wpc at 4 ohms going to each speaker, the same as a Classe CAM 350.

For reference, my room is 19' wide x ~50' deep and both Classe CAM 350's and Bryston 7B ST's had plenty of power for N801's and S800's.

Please post some pics of the amps and the N800's when you get them. You are going to love the N800's. They are really world class speakers and not that difficult to get dialed in. As an added bonus, my 800's are the first speaker that my wife actually likes in the living room. :T

Comment

• gross30
                • Jun 2005

DM3000, here is the current setup, kind of looking really forward to the n800's and mono's :T
                Attached Files

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                  • Jun 2006

Very nice!! A really good friend of mine has the M801's and Classe CAM 350's. Nice setup.

Those Classe amps that you have are beautiful. Please do give them a try with teh N800's as per my post above. I think that you will be quite happy.

Comment

• jericho
                    • Dec 2004

I'm using 1201's with my 800d's, never had any problem, and a lot of more punch than those 501's.

Comment

• gross30
                      • Jun 2005

DM 3000, thanks for the comment, I never had any issues with the Classe's, they never heat up, run nice and warm, have never let me down. They are a tank for sure. Will I have enough headroom with the older models as compared to the newer ones ?? If I was to go with 1201's or even a FBP 700 how careful would I have to be to not incorporate any damages?? I guess I am just concerned about the wrong match. Trial and error and the EARS is what makes this so much fun. I did purchase a Elite SC-09 at x-mas for all the ht and tried all channels through the Elite and it did sound decent, then hooked everything back up through bi-amping and went back to the Classe's and the Krell a3/250. It just seemed to be a lot more from the bottom. The SC-09 for all the hdmi,ipod,music server,ps3,x-box,sat radio etc. works flawless. I do prefer the bi-amping for sure. :T

Comment

• gross30
                        • Jun 2005

Just a quick shot of my beloved DD 15's, they fill the room with whatever bass you require. I think they will integrate wonderfully with the N-800's. :T
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Jovl
                          • Jan 2009

I guess another consideration would be some Krell 700 mono's.
                          Idd , go for the Krell 700cx............... :T

Jovl
                          My setup : http://forum.puresound.be/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25
                          Sorry for my English ops:

Comment

• gross30
                            • Jun 2005

Jovl, yes that is some amp, and fairly decently priced. I think it weighs in at 245 lbs. What a monster.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                              • Jun 2006

Gross30,

You may get the upgrade bug and go for something more powerful, but I'm just not sure that it is necessary. Your speakers are rated at 1000 wpc so you really don't need to be worried about using a reallypowerful amp.

My livign room is open to my kitchen and the entire room is about 19' x 50' deep and opens to other rooms, so it is a big room. I use one JL Audio F113 and Classe CAM 350's (350 wpc at 8 ohms / 700 wpc at 4 ohms) and there is plenty of power. I usually listen at about 75 to 85 db (measured with a meter) but have occasionally turned it up and have not wanted more power.

Here is a link to the Stereophile review of our speakers. Classe CAM350's were used here:

I once got a fortune cookie that read, "Ask and ye shall receive. This includes trouble." A few years back, shopping for speakers, I inquired about reviewing the B&W Nautilus 802, but it was too soon after Wes Phillips had reviewed the Nautilus 801 for Stereophile. So, other auditioning and reviewing (and buying) other speakers, I asked again, and again was met with deferral. Recently, out of the blue, B&W offered the Nautilus 802—then, in the next breath, asked if I'd rather have the Signature 800s.

From what I have read, the older Classe amps that you have are a more mellow amp with really nice bass and a great tone. Some people prefer them to new amps, complaining that the newer ones have a "colder" tone and are not as pleasant to listen to. I have not heard them but want to pass this along. This will get flamed on this forum for sure, but check out other forums to get a different view.

So, I really think that you should try your present amps in both bridged and Bi-amped configurations. Before buying new amps make sure that you hear them first as it may be a lateral move (and a very expensive one at that).

Comment

• gross30
                                • Jun 2005

DM 3000, I am thinking that you obviously know quite a bit more than myself when it comes to this. I fully appreciate all your input and help. You are very correct in that they do sound warm. I do enjoy them for sure, and have for some time now, and I am going to give them a try before I decide. I am up north and am just lining up some new toys for spring break. If I don't enjoy the sound, I am sure it won't take long to find something different for sure. How do you like the F113. I have read some rave reviews on the JL subs. I am quite happy with the DD-15'S. I am using them at volume 30, and they go to 99. Lots of jam there.

Comment

• wettou
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • May 2006

How do you like the F113. I have read some rave reviews on the JL subs.
                                  Just outstanding I traded my B&W sub for the Fathom F113 and am thinking of buying a second one After I upgrade my pre/pro :B
                                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                    • Jun 2006

Yea, the F113 is great. Very tight bass. I have not heard the velodyne but you should have a huge amunt of bass in your room with two of them.

Comment

• gross30
                                      • Jun 2005

Some soundtracks are amazing with the 2 DD-15'S. Nice and clear bass. Fills the entire room with ease. Since I bought them, I have just enjoyed them to the fullest. Music listening is great also. Dark Side of the Moon on SACD is incredible.

Comment

• wettou
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • May 2006

Music listening is great also. Dark Side of the Moon on SACD is incredible.
                                        Yes Sony gave Pink Floyd a $1M to redo the album in SACD that was for the launch of th SACD format.

I wished all SACD would be that good :B
                                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• gross30
                                          • Jun 2005

wettou, no kidding, either I was not paying attention in the late 70's when I first heard the vinyl, or it was a combination of illicit things !! I am thinking maybe the latter.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"