Opinions on sound quality between Rotel RB-1080 and RB-1070?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jam200
    • Jan 2009

Opinions on sound quality between Rotel RB-1080 and RB-1070?

Hello all,

Any thoughts on sound quality differences between a Rotel RB-1080 and a RB-1070?

I will use the amp to drive a pair of B&W 703s.
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Hi jam200,

I'm an RB-1080 owner, but as I've never listened to an RB-1070 I can't comment on sound quality differences.

However, if you occasionally listen to music at high volume then I would recommend the 1080 because of the extra headroom that the 1080 provides. It will lessen the possibility of your 703s clipping, particularly on bass-heavy tracks.

Nigel.

Comment

• ray5
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by bigburner
      Hi jam200,

I'm an RB-1080 owner, but as I've never listened to an RB-1070 I can't comment on sound quality differences.

However, if you occasionally listen to music at high volume then I would recommend the 1080 because of the extra headroom that the 1080 provides. It will lessen the possibility of your 703s clipping, particularly on bass-heavy tracks.

Nigel.
      WHat does clipping mean?

Comment

• DrJRapp
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2003

First off, let me say that an amp clips not a speaker. An amp clips when it is unable to deliver the amount of current that the speaker demands at a given voltage input. In lay terms that means "isn't powerful enough".

The term is called clipping since the tops and bottoms of the sine waves being generated appear to be clipped off ( flattened) when viewed on an osciliscope.

Clipping causes a speakers voice coil to become hot and it may eventually burn out after being exposed to extensive "clipping". This is why we say that a smaller amp may do more harm to a speaker than one that is rated beyond the speakers power rating.

In most cases clipping distorts the sound terribly so it becomes very obvious what is happening. If clipping is only momentary nothing may be heard. One can hear an amp that is approaching "clipping" because the sound becomes compressed.

Many people prefer the sound of tube amps because they clip more gracefully than SS amps...it is less audible.

Finally let me say...after having owned both that the 1070 is a very good amp, however, the 1080 is something special reaching well above the rest of the Rotel line in sound quality.
        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Jovl
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by jam200
          Any thoughts on sound quality differences between a Rotel RB-1080 and a RB-1070?
          I have owned the rb1070 and rb1090 ...................
          Good (rb1070), better (rb1080) , best (rb1090)

Greeting Jovl
          My setup : http://forum.puresound.be/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25
          Sorry for my English ops:

Comment

• jam200
            • Jan 2009

Thanks for the comments. Most appreciated.
            JAM

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"