X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SilverJS
    • Mar 2006

Need Sub Design Help, Pls

Hi all,

So - it's official, the girlfriend has asked me to build her a set of speakers. =) (We're in separate cities for at least another year.)

She has however put down stringent size constraints. =) She wants the sub to be no bigger than 10" cube. I could possibly stretch that to 11", but I wouldn't want to push it much more than that, seeing as I have already busted my allotment for the size of the mains...=) (She wanted something 8" high by 5" wide originally...I reasoned her into choosing something a little bigger and settled on the Microbe SE by Roman Bednarek.)

So. I'm not a speaker designer, I only build what others have put together; what do you guys think I could do with a 10" cube box? I was thinking an 8" sub could fit in there, but would it have enough volume for it and the amp? Is this even possible, or am I daydreaming? Roman also has the Cerberus, an 11" cube sub that houses the amp and a Tang Band 6.5" subwoofer, but I am simply wondering if it would be possible to use a bigger driver (therefore more power capability, which means she wouldn't have to upgrade when comes time to finish the full surround system) in a similarly-sized box...?

This would be for mostly music, but also some movies, so output is somewhat, but not all that, important. We were thinking of starting her off with a 2.1 system, to see how she likes it (and how she could live with boxes of that size).

Thanks for all the help!

JSB
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

How about a 12" cube and a real driver?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"