X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sunshdw
    • Sep 2008

Added power to the 683's

For a short itme I had on loan an RB1092, RCD1072 and 1082 preamp. I really liked what it had done to my 683's so I began to think. I realized I had a pair of these "DJ" amps (http://www.zalmar.com/detail-Audio-D...t-XPB_1600.htm) collecting dust in my closet so I bought a pair or RCA to XLR adapters and tried them in mono 8ohm. I'm pleasentlly surprised of the overall out put and clarity these amps provided. Dare I say that they sould nearly as good as the Rotel?? Close but not quite.
    Magnepan,ARC,VTL,Transparent Audio ;x(

"The term "audiophile" means essentially nothing -- it's a self-anointed status that entails no credentials, qualifications or certifications. It means "hobbyist," nothing more, and anyone can lay claim to it. Ironically, I've come to recognize that "audiophiles" represent a group that will believe almost anything"
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Yeah they should power them as it has enough power. It'll be more in the detail that you will end up missing and where the Rotel would differ. At least that would be my guess.

A good thing to test is pianos and strings and brass instruments to tell how detailed the amp is at revealing those types of things. That seems to be the real way to test an amp.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• emig5m
      • Aug 2008

Shouldn't a good amp design simply be a transparent unit in the chain that neither adds or takes away and simply amplifies the sound of the pre-amp and the pre-amp should ultimately really be the determining factor in the sound quality and detail? And if the amp adds or takes anything away, it's coloring the sound (can be for the good, or worse, depending how it colors it). Does Rotel fit in the coloring of the sound for the better or is it simply more transparent and doesn't take that detail away that a lesser quality amp would?

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

I'd say slightly more towards the transparent.

Most "DJ" style amps are made to push power and actually color the sound because of the components used in them. It's sort of like having that 600HP V8 engine without the braking system and steering to really enjoy it.

I'm not saying that they are bad, nor is the one gemini amp bad. But it also doesn't have the clarity and transparentness (just guessing here) that most good 2-ch/HT amps are going to have.
        -Dan

Comment

• sunshdw
          • Sep 2008

Originally posted by PewterTA
          I'd say slightly more towards the transparent.

Most "DJ" style amps are made to push power and actually color the sound because of the components used in them. It's sort of like having that 600HP V8 engine without the braking system and steering to really enjoy it.

I'm not saying that they are bad, nor is the one gemini amp bad. But it also doesn't have the clarity and transparentness (just guessing here) that most good 2-ch/HT amps are going to have.
          You are guessing correct, not being able to A/B between the Rotel stuff I do know that the gemini's don't sound as good but it's hard to say since the gemini's are double the power. I've put on layaway two RB1092's, RCD1072, RCC1055 (for the wife not complaining factor) and the RC1082. I've got to sell all my other gear to finish buying the Rotel stuff. Once that stuff is in I should be good to go for a while.........I know famous last words :T
          Magnepan,ARC,VTL,Transparent Audio ;x(

"The term "audiophile" means essentially nothing -- it's a self-anointed status that entails no credentials, qualifications or certifications. It means "hobbyist," nothing more, and anyone can lay claim to it. Ironically, I've come to recognize that "audiophiles" represent a group that will believe almost anything"

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

Yeah, that'll last about a year (maybe) before the upgrade bug bites. I know I'm on a yearly cycle it seems. Just got a RB-1090 to replace my 1080 I have. Now I have to figure out what to do with the 1080. lol
            -Dan

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"