Hey you wireless guys...TURN ON WEP(WEP explained in Detail)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Hey you wireless guys...TURN ON WEP(WEP explained in Detail)

Why?...4 hours. In 4 hours your key can easily be cracked. How? you may ask:

Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) explained in DETAIL

Here's the highlights:

However, this process has been written into a program that can perform this process in seconds if enough data is captured. For example, WEPCrack (which was written as an educational tool) and AirSnort are both programs that can crack the secret key in a matter of seconds if enough data is present. The catch is with the data.

Due to the requirements, roughly 7GB of data must be captured, on average, to crack the password. This is A LOT of information. In fact, most home users and small businesses will have a tough time meeting this mark in two weeks. However, on the other hand, if a WLAN is fully maxed out, it can send this much data in two to four hours. So, the threat of WEP is a real and dangerous risk.
    Obviously...the longer the key...the better off you are...so if you can set a 128bit key...do it. If you have the ability for a 256 bit key, even better.

Interesting...no?

"A RONSTER!"
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

I said easily...I probably should add that it's easily cracked if your hardware is 2 years old (though not always). Here's the thing...

WEPcrack exploits weak IV keys (Initialization Vector...the "secret key") in the WEP algorithm. Many manufacturers have updated their firmware to "filter" out weak RC4 IV keys. Sometimes called WEP-Plus. An important thing to look at when choosing an 11b router is find out if your manufacturer filters weak RC4 (IV frame) schedule keys in their firmware.

11g uses a more secure WPA scheme...for you 11g guys definitely turn on WPA.

"A RONSTER!"

Comment

• Gordon Moore
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Feb 2002

Another thing to note is that many people think that they will take a performance hit by doubling the key....well not really, most manufacturers have built their routers fairly efficiently.

Here's the degree of protection as the key increases.

( 64-24)/(64-24) = 1
      (128-24)/(64-24) = 2.6
      (256-24)/(64-24) = 5.8

So using the non-standard 256 makes your WEP twice as hard to attack as the standard 128. The thief has to capture TONS of packets (read gobs of data and not worth their time). However if it was a vindictive neighbor with nothing better to do...

Remember, even with 128 or 256 bit WEP you will still be about 2x as fast as your internet connection so THERE IS NO PERFORMANCE HIT...TURN IT ON!

Most of us went wireless to surf the web from our couch, so for most people, the above statement is very true (No Hit).

Hiding your SSID does little to protect you, as it can easily be sniffed out...in fact you take a bit of performance hit when you hide it and you have mulitple Access Points.

The best thing you can do is turn your Router off when you're not using it. That is the greatest security.

Here is one of the best faqs I've come across explaining basic Wi-Fi security:

Please read...Wi-Fi Facts/Myths

"A RONSTER!"

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

But if everyone turns on WEP how am I going to surf on their networks? :twisted:

Actually there's only one other wireless network that I can "see" from my livingroom and he has WEP turn on as well...though I do know its a linksys router and that if I really wanted to I could likely monitor it long enough to gather the 7GB of data required to crack it.

Anyway gord's right if you're running wireless TURN ON WEP.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"