X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • asuwal
    • Feb 2006

sub upgrade for B&W 804S

I would like to complement the bass output of B&W 804S by upgrading the SPL-1000R subwoofer. I have decided on SPL-1500R or DD10. I am mostly concerned about 2 channel music at this time. My dealer does not have both the models on floor to listen before placing the order.

I would appreciate if someone can provide insight on if I should upgrade to bigger size SPL-1500 or similar size DD-10?
    --asuwal
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

I am using a B&W ASW800 with my N804 - blends nicely. For 2-ch it would be best to go with a sealed enclosure. I have always been enticed witht he SPL series subs.

Comment

• MikeFL52
      • Oct 2007

I know this is probably not the correct suggestion on a B&W speaker site, but I honestly believe that you can get better value for money with other subs (SVS for instance) without giving up good aesthetics.

Comment

• quan325i
        • Apr 2005

I had and still have great experience with Velodyne DD12. It complemented my old 804N so well that I decided to keep it to match with my 801N.

QN

Comment

• Briz vegas
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

I have a Rel Strata 5 but it stays off for 2 channel even though it is more musical than most out there.
          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
          Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Allegiance
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Briz vegas
            I have a Rel Strata 5 but it stays off for 2 channel even though it is more musical than most out there.
            I have heard good things about REL.

Comment

• Glenee
              • Aug 2006

I have a JL Audio Phantom F112 and it does a good job. Even when listening to CD's.

Comment

• Boone38
                • Dec 2004

For what it is worth.... I did allot of research on this very subject. I listened to the B & W and the velodyne as well as the REL. I had the 804S in rosewood for over 2 yrs before moving back down to the 805s to save some room. I listend mainly to the DD12, SPL1200 after narrowing it down. I ended up buying the SPL1200r. The sound was fast and matched very well.

Now I see that you can get the SPL1200r for 899.00 new and the DD12 used for about 1000.00. I am still using the SPL1200r with my 805s and HTM4s. All are rosewood and look great.

The remote and microphone help in the set up.

Good Luck
                ----
                Amp is Classe CAV-75, Pre is Anthem AVM 30, Denon 2930 DVD. Cables are all MIT

Comment

• asuwal
                  • Feb 2006

Thanks to all for your suggestions and advice. I was able to demo DD10 today and I went ahead and placed the order.
                  --asuwal

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"