X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • windmiller
    • Sep 2007

Ideas on rears to go with 703's

I wanted to get some ideas on what rears to go with to match a pair of B&W 703's I am using as fronts and a HTM2 center. I would really like to go with an older model to save money and I think it would be interesting to see if some of the older lines could compliment the 703's. I am also considering using full towers in th rear if I find some that would match well. Last but not least is I would prefer a line that offers Walnut veneer.

Some ideas...

B&W 704's (obvious choice but more than I want to spend)
    B&W 805's Matrix
    B&W DM14
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by windmiller
    I wanted to get some ideas on what rears to go with to match a pair of B&W 703's I am using as fronts and a HTM2 center. I would really like to go with an older model to save money and I think it would be interesting to see if some of the older lines could compliment the 703's. I am also considering using full towers in th rear if I find some that would match well. Last but not least is I would prefer a line that offers Walnut veneer.

Some ideas...

B&W 704's (obvious choice but more than I want to spend)
    B&W 805's Matrix
    B&W DM14

windmiller,

I had N804s and an HTM1 up front at one point in my system. I got 705's and they matched very nicely. I believe the 705's are close in performance to the old N805's, and they were less than N805's, so that is where I went.

New or used, I think the 705's would integrate with your system very well, since you have 703's now.

And they come in walnut as well.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Why do you want to go full range?

Typically not alot comes from the rear anyway, unless you go for multichannel music and in my opinion (and that of the society of sound mob) multichannel rears should be giving you the venue ambience, not some dude singing or playing the sitar or whatever.

I use 705 with 804s. For movies it sounds great. I was stunned by the bass on Saturday at intro before the start of the latest Raiders flick- could see no benefit in towers at rear to add more - and I'm using 804s and a quality 10 inch sub (it was proper bass - none of this woofy rubbish - clean and tight)

With the 703 up front the 705 would be an even better match relative to my setup.
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• videophile
        • Sep 2008

I vote for 703 + 705.

Comment

• chuck21401
          • Nov 2008

Depends on your budget I suppose. I have 704s upfront, a FPM5 as center channel and M1's for the rear channels. I have a polk audio sub that I am looking to upgrade in the near future.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think expensive full range speakers are needed as surround speakers. Seems to me that they would be underworked.

Comment

• htsteve
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by chuck21401
            Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't think expensive full range speakers are needed as surround speakers. Seems to me that they would be underworked.

In general, I would tend to agree with this statement. However, with the advent of uncompressed audio as well as modern movies making better use of the surround fields. Towers in the back are a definite option.

Also, larger rear speakers can be practical if there is a larger space to fill.
            Although, I have a small to mdeium room with N804's as rears and they are wonderful. Great integration with the fronts, excellent detail.

If someone has the option of putting towers in the back, it is something to consider.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"