X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

It is time to come home to "Marlan Head" country

Took the plunge and invested in a new pair of 802D's as front L & R. The 803D's have been moved to surround duty & the Nautilus 804's are being sold.

The reasons for this upgrade:

1. It has always been my intention to aim for a pair of 802D's.
    2. Diamond tweeters all around.
    3. A greater percentage (80%) of my own listening is 2 channel & the 802D's certainly will deliver (the 803D's do deliver too, no complaints at all here, but what's life without a bit of something better thrown in for good measure). In addition, to this I have the Krell KAV amps setup such that Front Left speaker is driven by a channel on the KAV 3250 & the Front Right speaker by a channel on the KAV 2250. Also, the amps receive power from separate wall sockets. So for 2 channel critical music listening, one could say that the amps are being used as dual monoblocks, each channel having its own independent 2000VA Krell power supply. The HTM2D, even though not perfectly timbre matched to the 802D's, should be adequate as a centre for movies & live music. There is no space or inclination to get an HTM1D. If I wanted to go for absolute perfection then, for me, that would be 3 x 800D's (plus amp upgrade, etc) for a seamless front end. But there are always compromises and these are mine.

Overkill to have 803D's as surrounds? Maybe!

Excellent advice was given to me regarding a way to go being: "Keep the Nautilus 804's as surrounds and rather sell the 803D's, replacing them with the 802D's." This would have been better financially plus it can be said that the Nautilus 804's perform quite adequately as surrounds. I wholeheartedly agree with this advice and would suggest it to anyone who is planning to do something similar to what I've done.

But ... I'm a little bit stubborn plus I love the diamond tweeters. I hope that I can be forgiven for this.

Attached Files
  • ChrisssB
    • Feb 2006

Congrats ShadowZA! :T enjoy

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Nice! Congratulations.
      Couple of questions: how far away do you sit, and is that a carpeted panel behind the TV?
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Pedro
        • Jan 2006

Fucking awesome Shadow!!!!! Congrats!!!!!

I´m still waiting for a huge review comparing the old 803D with the new ones.

Comment

• Allegiance
          • Sep 2006

They look really nice :B

Comment

• style
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2006

Congrats ShadowZA :T

For me the 802D is the Top (personaly the 800D &Co. are tooooo Big/Much!!)

Cool, no words. :E

Greetings from Switzerland
            Omar

Comment

• ShadowZA
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Thank you

Comment

• ShadowZA
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by mjb
                Nice! Congratulations.
                Couple of questions: how far away do you sit, and is that a carpeted panel behind the TV?
                I sit exactly 10 feet away as measured from the center of the rack. Yup, the back wall is carpeted, same as the floor (blend is 90% wool & 10% nylon).

Comment

• ShadowZA
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

At this point I've clocked up 1 hour of listening to Stacey Kent (Collection II) & Paul Brown (White Sand). I am finding that the imaging is more 3 dimensional than that of the 803D's. It is as if the sound does not eminate from speakers but rather a sound stage. Make no mistake, the 803D's are awesome, but imho it seems as if the 802D's are going to be just that little bit better.

Comment

• Allegiance
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ShadowZA
                    At this point I've clocked up 1 hour of listening to Stacey Kent (Collection II) & Paul Brown (White Sand). I am finding that the imaging is more 3 dimensional than that of the 803D's. It is as if the sound does not eminate from speakers but rather a sound stage. Make no mistake, the 803D's are awesome, but imho it seems as if the 802D's are going to be just that little bit better.
                    I hope they are better than just a bit :E :P

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

This is very characteristic of the marlan head and the reason why I like the 802Ns better than the 803D's.

congrats on your upgrade! looks great. :T
                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• scanido
                        • Apr 2006

congrats on the new speakers Shadow, you got a gorgeous setup going with the cherry/black theme!

In the early hours with them, how are they comparing to your 803D's?

Comment

• ShadowZA
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by scanido
                          congrats on the new speakers Shadow, you got a gorgeous setup going with the cherry/black theme!

In the early hours with them, how are they comparing to your 803D's?
                          I love the 803D's. But ... I am loving the 802D's more. Their soundstage is fantastic!

Comment

• ShadowZA
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Thank you. I appreciate the comments.

Comment

• beden1
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2006

I love the 803D's. But ... I am loving the 802D's more. Their soundstage is fantastic!
                              The same soundstage you're noticing, I am now getting as well with my 803D's. After having my CP-500 serviced and adding the CAM-350's, I am mesmerized by the great soundstage in stereo.

But, the soundstage may be most affected by the quality of the amps powering the speakers.

I have been contemplating moving up to the 800D's, so have been spending a lot of time in listening lately. So far, I think I'm going to be happy staying with the 803D's.

Congrats on your new addition.

Comment

• style
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Feb 2006

Hallo ShadowZA,

How much (meter) do you have between the two mains?

You have an inclination towards the audience of 40 degrees(+ or -) or not?

the 803d surround what are distant? (from your audience)

Omar

P.S.

A nice combo with 5 speakers, one in black, cherrywood, rosenut,...
                                well I think will be not so bad!!!)
                                what do you think about?

Comment

• Ash
                                  • Dec 2004

Beautiful addition, to your already great system. I'm sure you will enjoy them very much. The sound is better, so are the looks of the 802s, you just have to have that marlan head. :T

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2006

Here are a few angles and measurements in metres:

Red square = listening position
                                    Attached Files

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Ash
                                      Beautiful addition, to your already great system. I'm sure you will enjoy them very much. The sound is better, so are the looks of the 802s, you just have to have that marlan head. :T
                                      Thank you, Ash. I recall that it took a while for me to get used to the 803D's after originally having the Nautilus 804's as fronts. A problem that I had with the 803D's is their height. Now it's perfect. The height of the 803D's as surrounds is exactly what is needed in terms of tweeters not being "hidden" behind the couch. Oh, and wife likes the 802D's too.

Comment

• Indytown
                                        • Apr 2005

Shadow,
                                        Congrat's on the new 802's. I think the HTM2D the way you have them is perfect. The tweeters across the front stage are at ear height, you have a perfect set-up there for HT. Those who have not seen the HTM2D in person, it is quite large, it's size is between a 803 and 804, 7 inch woofers, but with dual ports in back. The HTMD2 is very clean, full and non nasal sounding.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Jan 2006

Thank you, Indytown.

Here's a pic of the Left Surround 803D. Height of surrounds is now much better too.

Attached Files

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by beden1
                                            The same soundstage you're noticing, I am now getting as well with my 803D's. After having my CP-500 serviced and adding the CAM-350's, I am mesmerized by the great soundstage in stereo.

But, the soundstage may be most affected by the quality of the amps powering the speakers.

I have been contemplating moving up to the 800D's, so have been spending a lot of time in listening lately. So far, I think I'm going to be happy staying with the 803D's.

Congrats on your new addition.
                                            Thanks, beden1.

I tend to agree regarding the 803D's soundstage. I also don't believe that it's any coincidence that the finest recording studios use B&W 800 series speakers as their reference monitors. :T

Comment

• btf1980
                                              • Aug 2007

Wow Shadow, that's a classy and enviable system you have there. 803D for rears? I'd be happy with 803D's for my mains!! :E
                                              A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• artv4
                                                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by btf1980
                                                Wow Shadow, that's a classy and enviable system you have there. 803D for rears? I'd be happy with 803D's for my mains!! :E
                                                i feel the same!!!!
                                                GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)

Comment

• Ash
                                                  • Dec 2004

Now it's perfect. The height of the 803D's as surrounds is exactly what is needed in terms of tweeters not being "hidden" behind the couch. Oh, and wife likes the 802D's too.
                                                  Yeah, I can see from the picture that the tweeter is above the couch, so everything seems perfect! And the wife liking the speakers, thats extra icing on the cake. My wife thinks the N800s I have to be huge, hmmm I can't argue with that, they are huge hahaha, but I love them for that

Comment

• Gump
                                                    • Sep 2005

Congratulations Shadow, I'm very happy for you. It must sound great surrounded by all those diamonds!
                                                    Enjoy your system!

Neil

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Jan 2006

Thanks guys. :T

I had the 803D's as mains for quite a while and I've had no complaints with them at all. Neil, I've already listened to a few music dvd's and the tweeter matching is something that I am liking a lot. Regarding the 802D's, I am noticing more of a lower-midrange presence in addition to a fullness in the upper bass regions compared to the 803D's. I recall the 803D's sounding better over time. No doubt this will also happen with the 802D's.

Comment

• style
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Feb 2006

Hy Shadow,

I have the 803D at mains..
                                                        I agree 100% with your setup...only a question:

803D versus 802D is really so BIG different??

well, I think the big jump is from 804s-803s to the D serie (like 803 or up..)!!
                                                        from 803s to 803d is a big jump versus 803d to 802d OR???

greetings Omar

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by style
                                                          Hy Shadow,

I have the 803D at mains..
                                                          I agree 100% with your setup...only a question:

803D versus 802D is really so BIG different??

well, I think the big jump is from 804s-803s to the D serie (like 803 or up..)!!
                                                          from 803s to 803d is a big jump versus 803d to 802d OR???

greetings Omar
                                                          Omar, yes I would say that the BIG jump is from the "S" series with their aluminium dome tweeters to the "D" series with their diamond dome tweeters. Regarding the differences between the 803D & the 802D, they are there ... but the jump is not as great as the jump from S to D imho.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Mar 2005

You are keeping the 803D. But I thought you were going to give them to me when you were finished with them. Some friends visited SA recently, they could have brought them back for me.

Just as well I still love my "humble" 804s.

You possibly have the best sound on this forum given that you have treated the room and you have great kit. Enjoy.
                                                            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                                            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                                              You are keeping the 803D. But I thought you were going to give them to me when you were finished with them. Some friends visited SA recently, they could have brought them back for me.

Just as well I still love my "humble" 804s.

You possibly have the best sound on this forum given that you have treated the room and you have great kit. Enjoy.
                                                              Thank you, Briz.

Weather in Cape Town's been bad. Lots of rain & cold. Perfect excuse to stay in & do some listening.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                • May 2006

Overkill to have 803D's as surrounds? Maybe!
                                                                No way that must be a killer system, I have three 802D in front and two 802N surround and loving it, yes I could have sold the 802N but when watching an action flick or listening to symphony on multichannel SACD awesome!:T
                                                                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• htsteve
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Sep 2004

Welcome to the club

ShadowZA,

Welcome to the marlan head club. You will be amazed at these, especially once they've opened up. Your system is very, very nice. Mine is similar, except I have N804's in back (the 803D's must rock) and I have McIntosh driving things.

I thought about doing the 803D's in the rears. Still a possibility. But since I was building an HT room, I needed to spend on a projector. It's all worked out well.

I'm glad your wife likes the 802D's. My wife calls them the Dolly Parton's, but she does like the sound. She had a bad ear infection this spring that has affected her hearing. She like the 802D's because they are so clear, she can enjoy listening to the movie or music.

Have fun listening.
                                                                  Last edited by htsteve; 17 September 2008, 16:34 Wednesday.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Thanks guys. :T

What I've also realised is that if one can attain some type of an equilibrium by finding a balance between sound quality maximization & compromise minimization then the summit has been conquered.

Comment

• miner
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2005

Shadow,
                                                                      Where's your turntable? With that setup you need to enjoy some vinyl.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2005

Awesome man! Very cool! Cant wait to see the thread "Just bought 800Ds and moved 802ds to surround"

HMT1D next?
                                                                        B&W

Comment

• Russ L
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by miner
                                                                          Shadow,
                                                                          Where's your turntable? With that setup you need to enjoy some vinyl.
                                                                          If my memory serves... Shadow has a $15,000 Meridian 808 CD player instead! A perfect source for those 802Ds. A belated congrats on the new speakers, Shadow. I'm glad you're near your dream setup
                                                                          Russ

Comment

• wettou
                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2006
                                                                            • 3389

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                                                            Awesome man! Very cool! Cant wait to see the thread "Just bought 800Ds and moved 802ds to surround"

HMT1D next?
                                                                            Sweet, you are giving me the willies, may be I should do the same if only Wall Street would stop hemorrhaging, with what I lost I could buy a hole new system...:M
                                                                            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Oct 2006
                                                                              • 1676

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by wettou
                                                                              Sweet, you are giving me the willies, may be I should do the same if only Wall Street would stop hemorrhaging, with what I lost I could buy a hole new system...:M
                                                                              You should start listening to me then, cause I'm up even with all of these crazy gyrations.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Jan 2006
                                                                                • 1098

#40
                                                                                Originally Posted by Race Car Driver

HMT1D next?
                                                                                Heheh, hey thanks man ... I think that this is as far as I can go regarding speakers (at least, that's what I'm telling myself right now )

Originally Posted by Russ L
                                                                                If my memory serves... Shadow has a $15,000 Meridian 808 CD player instead! A perfect source for those 802Ds. A belated congrats on the new speakers, Shadow. I'm glad you're near your dream setup
                                                                                Thanks Rus. Yup, the Meridian 808 is the source for 2 channel listening.
                                                                                Last edited by ShadowZA; 19 September 2008, 03:31 Friday.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2006
                                                                                  • 3389

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by beden1
                                                                                  You should start listening to me then, cause I'm up even with all of these crazy gyrations.
                                                                                  Any light!

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • May 2005
                                                                                    • 1418

#42
                                                                                    Congratulations Shadow,

Beautiful looking setup and the Meridian CD player to boot.

What Amps are those ?? Krell with a Krell Processor ?

Very nice indeed. Love the Natural Wood Look too, its what I picked too

Enjoy

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jan 2006
                                                                                      • 1098

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by misterdoggy
                                                                                      Congratulations Shadow,

Beautiful looking setup and the Meridian CD player to boot.

What Amps are those ?? Krell with a Krell Processor ?

Very nice indeed. Love the Natural Wood Look too, its what I picked too

Enjoy
                                                                                      Thank you, Misterdoggy.

I'm using the Krell KAV 3250 & 2250 amps together with the Krell Showcase processor.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2005
                                                                                        • 1418

#44
                                                                                        Thank you, Misterdoggy.

I'm using the Krell KAV 3250 & 2250 amps together with the Krell Showcase processor.
                                                                                        I,ve had the very same amps and its a great combo with B&W. Even moved up to the FPB which was outstanding

Enjoy its all coming along nicely on the road to paradise ;x( ;x(

Comment

Working...
                                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                        Search Result for "|||"