X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joshua_G
    • Sep 2008

Amplification for B&W 803 Nautilus

Bought B&W 803 Nautilus few days ago to realize what I heard before – that they are very sensitive to amplification.

I listen to all types of music, mostly Classic and Opera, bur also Jazz, Classic Rock and you name it.

In my country and with the limits of my budget the availability is quite limited.
    So, I'd like to hear your opinion about the following options, which do you think may be best:
    NAD C270
    Musical fidelity A3.2
    Cambridge Audio Azur 740A
    Cambridge Audio Azur 840A
    Vincent 226 MKII

Also, I'd like to hear other recommendations for a good dual mono or stereo Power Amp, or Integrated Amp, in the price range of up to $1,500.
  • DM3000 Owner
    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Joshua_G
    Bought B&W 803 Nautilus few days ago to realize what I heard before – that they are very sensitive to amplification.

I listen to all types of music, mostly Classic and Opera, bur also Jazz, Classic Rock and you name it.

In my country and with the limits of my budget the availability is quite limited.
    So, I'd like to hear your opinion about the following options, which do you think may be best:
    NAD C270
    Musical fidelity A3.2
    Cambridge Audio Azur 740A
    Cambridge Audio Azur 840A
    Vincent 226 MKII

Also, I'd like to hear other recommendations for a good dual mono or stereo Power Amp, or Integrated Amp, in the price range of up to $1,500.
    I just re-read your post and see that you are in another country. ops: Here is my answer anyway:

You want a good amount of power to drive your speakers.

I have been happy with Musical Fidelity gear, although I do not have one of their amos (just preamps, CD and DAC). You budget is $1500. Is that just for the power amp?

There is a MF A308CR amp for sale right now:

I have the matching preampa nd CD player and love them.

If you can increase your budget and get the owner down on the price, here is a real gem, Classe CAM 200's:

I would also look at the Classe CA 200:

also check out Bryston 4B ST's.

Comment

• Joshua_G
      • Sep 2008

Power isn't all there is to it

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
      To my short experience, a good amount of power isn't the only answer.
      I tried my speakers with an old Sony Power Amp 4x40 Watt, wired as 2x80 Watt, with a good results and good stage in many cases, but not in full orchestra.

I tried my speakers with AMC AN100-2 Power Amp with 2x150 W/C with high current ability. The speakers sounded like a $10 computer speakers.

I tried my speakers with 2 Denon POA 6600A power Mono blocks, having 250 W@8 Ohm, 450 W@4 Ohm and 1,100 W@1 Ohm – the stage isn’t it. The old Sony 2x80 W/C sounded much better.

So, again, a good amount of power isn't the real answer.

All those are outside my country, where new ones would be way above $1,500 for Power Amp.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
        • Jun 2006

[QUOTE=Joshua_G]

So, again, a good amount of power isn't the real answer.

[QUOTE]

I recommend Musical Fidelity, Classe and Bryston, not Sony and Denon. The power rating does have meaning with the high end brands, and you need more power to get the potential out of 800 series speakers.

If you want to get the full potential out of your Nautilus speakers you will need high quality components upstream (not necessairily the most expensive), which you seemed to state in your original post.

Comment

• Joshua_G
          • Sep 2008

Isn't synergy the name of the game?

I recommend Musical Fidelity, Classe and Bryston, not Sony and Denon. The power rating does have meaning with the high end brands, and you need more power to get the potential out of 800 series speakers.
          The power rating may have a meaning, to a degree, yet, the old Sony 80 w/c sounded very much better than the Denon 250 w/c.

So, apart mere power, isn't synergy the name of the game?

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

I just re-read your post and see that you are in another country. ops: Here is my answer anyway:

I have been happy with Musical Fidelity gear, although I do not have one of their amos (just preamps, CD and DAC). You budget is $1500. Is that just for the power amp?

There is a MF A308CR amp for sale right now:

I have the matching preampa nd CD player and love them.

If you can increase your budget and get the owner down on the price, here is a real gem, Classe CAM 200's:

I would also look at the Classe CA 200:

I saw those CAM-200's also and thought they would be a great buy. I have the CAM-350 versions and love them.

Excellent suggestions DM3000 Owner.

To the OP, you can't compare the products you listed in your second posting, with these that have been suggested. Your experience compared Hyundai type brands. The others that have been suggested are in the BMW/Mercedes class.

Comment

• Joshua_G
              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by beden1
              To the OP, you can't compare the products you listed in your second posting, with these that have been suggested. Your experience compared Hyundai type brands. The others that have been suggested are in the BMW/Mercedes class.
              Thanks.
              The BMW/Mercedes class mentioned are either unavailable in my country or way beyond my budget.

My short experience reveals that even within the limits of my budget there should be a reasonable solution.

As for high end vs. low end classifications – I go solely by what I hear, never by the label.

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

Thanks.
                The BMW/Mercedes class mentioned are either unavailable in my country or way beyond my budget.

My short experience reveals that even within the limits of my budget there should be a reasonable solution.

As for high end vs. low end classifications – I go solely by what I hear, never by the label.
                If you like what you hear with some of the brands and components you have experienced, then by all means you should stick to those brands.

This forum will probably not be of much help, as many/most have more evolved listening experiences.

It's not the brand name, it's all about the music!

Comment

• Joshua_G
                  • Sep 2008

If you like what you hear with some of the brands and components you have experienced, then by all means you should stick to those brands.
                  Not all models of a certain brand, or make, are of the same quality, especially over the span of few decades.

This forum will probably not be of much help, as many/most have more evolved listening experiences.
                  It’s warming my heart to see people so sure of themselves.
                  If you'd know my background of a recording engineer you may change your opinion about me.

It's not the brand name, it's all about the music!
                  Indeed!
                  However, in the light of your last statement, what does music got to do with either brand names or of-brand makes?
                  What the "more evolved listening experiences" have got to do with brand names?
                  Isn't there any off-brand model that sounds really good?

It makes me wonder how many people pick up their gear by what they actually hear, versus by brand name labels.

Comment

• Joshua_G
                    • Sep 2008

I can get locally a deal on a used Bryston.
                    What in your opinion would be the minimum w/c that is considered enough to get the full potential of my speakers, considering that usually I listen in low to moderate volumes and my living room is extremely small?
                    The same question about minimum w/c goes for Musical fidelity models.

Comment

• htsteve
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

I can get locally a deal on a used Bryston.
                      What in your opinion would be the minimum w/c that is considered enough to get the full potential of my speakers, considering that usually I listen in low to moderate volumes and my living room is extremely small?
                      The same question about minimum w/c goes for Musical fidelity models.

In short, 200 watts per channel. The N803 is a big speaker. To get to the full potential, you need at least 200 wpc of a quality amp like you are looking at. More watts will give you better bass control. The N803 is very nice for bass.

I have N804's (and 802D's). They more power you give them, the happier they are and the better performance they give.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• beden1
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2006

Not all models of a certain brand, or make, are of the same quality, especially over the span of few decades.

It’s warming my heart to see people so sure of themselves.
                        If you'd know my background of a recording engineer you may change your opinion about me.

Indeed!
                        However, in the light of your last statement, what does music got to do with either brand names or of-brand makes?
                        What the "more evolved listening experiences" have got to do with brand names?
                        Isn't there any off-brand model that sounds really good?

It makes me wonder how many people pick up their gear by what they actually hear, versus by brand name labels.
                        It would appear that you are the one who is sure of himself, and I'm wondering why you're asking for help, when you already seem to know all of the answers?

Comment

• Joshua_G
                          • Sep 2008

It would appear that you are the one who is sure of himself, and I'm wondering why you're asking for help, when you already seem to know all of the answers?
                          And what is the answer I seem to know before asking?

Comment

• Joshua_G
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by htsteve
                            In short, 200 watts per channel. The N803 is a big speaker. To get to the full potential, you need at least 200 wpc of a quality amp like you are looking at. More watts will give you better bass control. The N803 is very nice for bass.

I have N804's (and 802D's). They more power you give them, the happier they are and the better performance they give.

Hope this helps.
                            Thanks. Yes, it does help.

Comment

• RobP
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

I used to run my N803's off of a Classe CA101 which was decent, although a little lacking in the bass.
                              Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• RobP
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2004

lets keep this thread positive guys.
                                Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

Ah, another recording engineer. I've got a bone to pick with you about the audio quality on some of my CDs, its like this ......... :W

I agree with you that power is not everything. I went with 185 watts when I could have gone with 350w or 500w for less cash.

What did you like about the Sony sound? Everyone has different taste and expectations regarding what sounds right (as you would well know).

I know a bass guitarist who decided after his first audition in the local hifi shop that tubes were the only solution for him. He used tube amps for his bass and thats what he wanted from his hifi. He went with a Jas Audio amp in the end, although he uses Quad bookshelf speakers. You will find folks on this forum that have successfully used tube amps with 800 series but it is a matter of getting the right characteristics/synergy while also fitting your budget.

If you tell us a little more about what you liked in the Sony vs the other brands we might be able to suggest some options.
                                  Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                  Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Joshua_G
                                    • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                    What did you like about the Sony sound?
                                    I Listened to Carmina Burana and The Magic Flute. In all parts, except for full orchestra parts, I felt like sitting in a concert hall. Solo voices, chorus and musical instruments sounded exactly as they are and exactly in place. I didn't hear neither the speakers not the amplifier and the rest of the setup. In full orchestra parts, the stage was gone and it sounded quite flat, though with correct tone balance.

To hear a concert hall and not the setup is what I expect from a sound system – and it is why I chose these speakers in the first place. The Sony obviously lacked enough power for full orchestra parts. One other amplifier I tried lacked the ability to drive the speakers, though not due to lack of power in rated watts. The Denon Mono Blocks could drive the speakers very well, but with a lousy stage – voices and instruments sounded quite fuzzy, not well defined in sound and location.

To my above requirements, what is your recommendation, or what would you think would be the minimum wpc needed of a Musical Fidelity or Bryston amp?

Comment

• quan325i
                                      • Apr 2005

...also check out Bryston 4B ST's.
                                      For $1500, I can't think of a better one.

Comment

• Joshua_G
                                        • Sep 2008

Thank you all.
                                        I just bought Musical Fidelity A3.2 – after listening to it with the rest of my setup.

Comment

Working...
                                        😀
                                        😂
                                        🥰
                                        😘
                                        🤢
                                        😎
                                        😞
                                        😡
                                        👍
                                        👎
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"