X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ash
    • Dec 2004

N800 Just Arravied Yay

Hay guys, I bought N800 speakers, finally, and it arrived today :T

Prior to the 800, I had N805 as mains and they have served me well for 5 years, during this period I was constantly dreaming about getting 802, so I was even happier when I got the 800s.

Going from N805 to 800 was a big jump. I would have to say I was shocked to see how big these speakers are, HUGE. Nothing prepared my wife for them, hahaha, I showed her pictures, but you can't know the size from the pictures.

Now, when getting the 800s, I knew that I would have to upgrade my system throughout. With the 805s, I used a Yamaha receiver, and Cyrus CD Player, thats it. I was happy with the system, but this just won't work with 800s.

I borrowed a Bryston 4bsst from my friend to test the speakers (the yamaha acted as the pre-amp). I can tell you that the 800 were ruthless, it showed every flaw in my system, all my components suck! The 805 was much more forgiving in that regard, they did not point out the shortcomings of the receiver and the rest. So right now I have a long way to go to make these bad boys sing!

The next upgrade would be the power amp, first choice is Classe CA-M400, I listened to classe + signature800, magical! Since then, I have been craving classe. Second choice would be Mcintosh. A pre-amp will be the second upgrade, followed by the source.

Just wanted to share the joy with you guys.

Thanks for listening
  • Ash
    • Dec 2004

Here is a picture of teh setup (sadly taken by the phone). Will include better quality pics in the B&W pictures thread.
    Attached Files

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
      • Jun 2006

Congrats. Those are beautiful speakers. And yes, get some decent amplification :T

Comment

• atchudy
        • Nov 2007

What does a Pair of N800 cost now?

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Great stuff, Ash!
          Enjoy :T

Comment

• Briz vegas
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Purrrdy !
            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• artv4
              • Jun 2007

excellent purchase!!!!
              GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)

Comment

• Ash
                • Dec 2004

Thanks alot guys! This hobby seems to be never ending, as soon as you buy one compentent, you start thinking of the next.

All my friends think I'm crazy when I tell them how much I spend on audio (preowned in this case but still crazy for people!). And then we have this forum where we are normal, thank god!

Comment

• Ash
                  • Dec 2004

What does a Pair of N800 cost now?
                  They sell for around $8000 +/-$500

Comment

• htsteve
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Ash,

Congratulations. Those are excellent speakers. They will be a great foundation for a system.

In terms of amps, the best thing to do is audition them in home if at all possible.. You've got your eye on Classe. Very nice. I have McIntosh for my 802D's. Others like Krell. All good choices. But your ears will tell you what is best. It may take a bit of time to get them to your house and evaluate, but it's the best way to do it.

Have fun with the 800's.

Comment

• Bluespower
                      • Sep 2005

Ash,

Congratulations! I'm going through the same thing with a pair of N802s I bought about a month ago. I'm powering mine with a 1095 for now but hope to become a Mac owner sometime down the road. My target is a C45 pre with an MC352 for the fronts and something like a 993 for the center & surrounds. Best of luck...
                      Bluespower

Comment

• Ash
                        • Dec 2004

Ash,

Congratulations. Those are excellent speakers. They will be a great foundation for a system.

In terms of amps, the best thing to do is audition them in home if at all possible.. You've got your eye on Classe. Very nice. I have McIntosh for my 802D's. Others like Krell. All good choices. But your ears will tell you what is best. It may take a bit of time to get them to your house and evaluate, but it's the best way to do it.

Have fun with the 800's.
                        thanks alot htsteve. I would love to get amps and audition them, but that is not possible. The best I can do is listen at the dealers. The B&W dealer only carried B&W and the McIntosh dealer doesnt have B&W and none of them do loaners.

I have never heard the Krell amps, only heard about their reputation and did some research about them. However, I liked the Classe and the McIntosh, but maybe its an unfair comparison as Classe audition was using B&W speakers, whereas McIntosh was using McIntosh speakers. The Classe was very refined and velvety sound that I liked.

What is it that made you go for McIntosh? Which amp are you using?

What is also puttimg me off the McIntosh is that they don't increase power output as the impedence drops.

From McIntosh I was considering the MC501 or the MC402 but I'm not sure that they will provide sufficient power to the 800s. The 1201 or MC602 are too big to fit anywhere and my wife would probably put the speakers and new amps on fire hahaha.
                        Last edited by Ash; 16 September 2008, 17:52 Tuesday.

Comment

• Ash
                          • Dec 2004

Ash,

Congratulations! I'm going through the same thing with a pair of N802s I bought about a month ago. I'm powering mine with a 1095 for now but hope to become a Mac owner sometime down the road. My target is a C45 pre with an MC352 for the fronts and something like a 993 for the center & surrounds. Best of luck...
                          Thanks Bluespower, congrats on your N802s as well, its an amazing spreaker.

I see that you are another McIntosh fan, what did you like about the sound, anything in particular?

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Nice!
                            I want to keep my N802s and add some N800s some day..... some day...

B&W

Comment

• Alaric
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006

What is also putting me off the McIntosh is that they don't increase power output as the impedance drops.
                              Naaahhh. They don't lose power if the impedance goes up! The MC402 is an absolute beast. 400 continuous wpc , regardless of load. If you're worried about the power supply's ability to "double-down" , the MC402 delivers a solid 800 watts in bridged mono.
                              I've heard the MC501s , and they are wondrous-but if WAF is an issue , they'll bring about a 'family meeting' quicker than a leg-humping St. Bernard that "followed you home". IMO.
                              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                              Schiit Modi 3
                              Marantz CD5005
                              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Alaric
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

P.S. Beautiful (looks and sound) speakers!
                                Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                Schiit Modi 3
                                Marantz CD5005
                                Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• quan325i
                                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Alaric
                                  .... I've heard the MC501s , and they are wondrous-but if WAF is an issue , they'll bring about a 'family meeting' quicker than a leg-humping St. Bernard that "followed you home". IMO.

True statement! I'm driving my Nautilus 801s with the MC501s and I prefer them over the Bryston 7SSt. I think for $6K/pair, the MC501s are the best monos money can buy. I've owned Krell 700Mcx, Pass Lab, bryston 7sst and Classe M1000 but for the price, none beat the 501s.

QN

Comment

• ChrisssB
                                    • Feb 2006

Congrats for your wonderful speakers Ash!! happy listening!

Comment

• Ash
                                      • Dec 2004

P.S. Beautiful (looks and sound) speakers!
                                      Congrats for your wonderful speakers Ash!! happy listening!
                                      Thanks alot guys, I appreciate it. I'm very happy with the speakers, they are a dream come true.

Nice! I want to keep my N802s and add some N800s some day..... some day...
                                      802 is a lovely speaker, enough to make anyone happy!

Comment

• Ash
                                        • Dec 2004

Naaahhh. They don't lose power if the impedance goes up! The MC402 is an absolute beast. 400 continuous wpc , regardless of load. If you're worried about the power supply's ability to "double-down" , the MC402 delivers a solid 800 watts in bridged mono.
                                        I've heard the MC501s , and they are wondrous-but if WAF is an issue , they'll bring about a 'family meeting' quicker than a leg-humping St. Bernard that "followed you home". IMO.
                                        Alaric, so you think that the McIntosh should no thave any issues driving 800s, regardless if it is Mc400 or Mc501. What kind of difference will I find between the Mc400 and Mc501, is it much?

True statement! I'm driving my Nautilus 801s with the MC501s and I prefer them over the Bryston 7SSt. I think for $6K/pair, the MC501s are the best monos money can buy. I've owned Krell 700Mcx, Pass Lab, bryston 7sst and Classe M1000 but for the price, none beat the 501s.
                                        Hi Quan, what is it that made you prefer the MC501 over the others? Was it able to control the bass properly on the 801s you have? Did you get them for $6000 used or new?

Thanks

Comment

• htsteve
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2004

Ash,

I certainly understand the issue of trying to do in home demos. I was not able to either. We just have to make the best of it. Part of it is the sheer size and weight of these amps, so some dealers aren't fond of moving them around (and taking them off the floor).

I have the MC205 200wpc X 5 powering my 802D's. Early next year I plan to get a MC402. I have listened to Classe, Mac and Krell with 802D's. The Mac and Krell I was able to do side by side. My high level assessment of the three as they compare to each other. Just my opinion.

Classe: Smoothest, but didn't grab the bass as well as the other two.
                                          Krell: Excellent bass, not as refined/smooth as the other two.
                                          Mac: Very good bass, and refined/smooth. For me it presented the best overall package.

In terms of looks, I liked the Mac best, Classe next then Krell.

I have had absolutely no isssues with power and the 802D's. They can drop pretty darn low in impedence.

Before my Mac's, I had the Rotel 1077 bi-amping them. It sounded very nice.
                                          But the Mac is definitely superior in every aspect. I've played pretty loud at times and it remains the same all the way up.

What are you driving the 800's with today?

BTW, new 501's are $5500 list. You should be able to get them for $5k.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Ash
                                            • Dec 2004

htsteve,

Thanks alot for the comparison, its very helpful. Although I'm slightly inclined towards the Classe, but I might still go for McIntosh. I like both brands, but as you said not being able to get them home makes the decision harder. If I go the McIntosh route, I would prefer to get Mc501 but its much more expensive than the Mc402.

BTW, new 501's are $5500 list. You should be able to get them for $5k.
                                            You mean that each monoblock is $5,500 giving a total of $11,000, right? not both for $5,500 cause that would be good.

What are you driving the 800's with today?
                                            I'm using Bryston 4bsst stereo amp. I borrowed it from my friend for a few days, once he takes the amp back I will have nothing to drive them! until I buy an amp (whenever that is), don't want to use the Yamaha receiver (which were used for the N805) to power them hahahah.

Comment

• Pedro
                                              • Jan 2006

It would be interesting a test with electrocompaniet AW600 (NEMO) to see how will perform with those 3 others

Comment

• htsteve
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Sep 2004

Ash,

Yes, that is $5500 list for EACH monoblock. If you are not opposed to going the used route, Audiogon has some nice deals on pairs of monoblocks or even a 402.

One nice thing about McIntosh is the Trade Up program that they periodically run. For example, right now, you can get 75% of your original list price (bought new from a dealer) as credit towards new equipment (also from a dealer). I'm thinking you start now with an MC402. Later on when the upgrade program is running again (it may be a year or two), you can get credit towards a pair of 501's.

The Bryston is good in that you can actually listen to the 800's now. Once that goes back, I would definitely NOT use the Yamaha on the 800's. An invitation for bad things to happen.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                                  • Jun 2006

If you are short on funds, you can get by (for quite a while) with a Crown K1 or K2 or a QSC PLX series amp. Each is available used for well under $1000. When you are done, sell it on ebay and move on.

Comment

• Ash
                                                    • Dec 2004

htsteve,

Yes, that is $5500 list for EACH monoblock. If you are not opposed to going the used route, Audiogon has some nice deals on pairs of monoblocks or even a 402.

One nice thing about McIntosh is the Trade Up program that they periodically run. For example, right now, you can get 75% of your original list price (bought new from a dealer) as credit towards new equipment (also from a dealer). I'm thinking you start now with an MC402. Later on when the upgrade program is running again (it may be a year or two), you can get credit towards a pair of 501's.
                                                    I will definately be going for the used route, Its better value for money, as long as the gear function properly. But I would suspect that at this point, due to the upgrade program, the used McIntosh gear will be more expensive than usual and probably less of them for sale! I would prefer to make one purchase, i.e. buy an amp that will be perfect for the speakers instead of t being gradual (less WAF).

The Bryston is good in that you can actually listen to the 800's now. Once that goes back, I would definitely NOT use the Yamaha on the 800's. An invitation for bad things to happen.
                                                    Hahaha I was kidding about the Yamaha

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Ash

Hahaha I was kidding about the Yamaha
                                                      Ive been running my 802s off my Yamaha since I sold my 7bs this spring 8O

*flame suit*
                                                      Bad things have not happened yet.
                                                      *flame suit*

Seriously though, they "play just fine" no voodoo goin on here. Sure I miss the 7bs, but Ill get another amp in the next year, the yamy is holding over just fine.

Just have to know not to overdrive the receiver looking for "the missing watts" :lol:

(Wants krell or mac in the future)
                                                      B&W

Comment

• Ash
                                                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
                                                        If you are short on funds, you can get by (for quite a while) with a Crown K1 or K2 or a QSC PLX series amp. Each is available used for well under $1000. When you are done, sell it on ebay and move on.
                                                        Thanks I will consider such an option. Will aim to get the big boys as fast as possible though.

Comment

• Ash
                                                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                                          Ive been running my 802s off my Yamaha since I sold my 7bs this spring 8O

*flame suit*
                                                          Bad things have not happened yet.
                                                          *flame suit*

Seriously though, they "play just fine" no voodoo goin on here. Sure I miss the 7bs, but Ill get another amp in the next year, the yamy is holding over just fine.

Just have to know not to overdrive the receiver looking for "the missing watts" :lol:

(Wants krell or mac in the future)
                                                          Chris, all I need from you is the secret recipe for the voodoo dust you have sprinkled on the yamy, this will do the trick (just joking hehe). I think I'm too chicken to do it, I will fear damaging them and going through the hassle of repair. But I guess they will probably work at lowish volumes, I can't risk it though.

I hear very good things about both Krell and McIntosh, it seems that you won't go wrong with either.

Thanks for the input :T

Comment

• Alaric
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Jan 2006

The 402s are very good amps-but audio is like horsepower. Speed costs money-how fast ya wanna go? The MC501 is a noticeable step up from the MC402. Krell has become a little 'warmer' in recent years , so that may be a good choice if you like the Classe. Honestly , you should audition gear in this price range before you decide.
                                                            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                            Schiit Modi 3
                                                            Marantz CD5005
                                                            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• quan325i
                                                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Ash
                                                              Hi Quan, what is it that made you prefer the MC501 over the others? Was it able to control the bass properly on the 801s you have? Did you get them for $6000 used or new?

Thanks
                                                              Like others have said, the MC501 monos have much smoother and more control bass. I've listenen to the same Nautilus 801s driven by various monos and the two that stand out are the Krell 750MCX which my friends bought for $13K/used pair and the MC501s which I bought from him for $6k. The Krell 750MCX give more slam, tight bass but not smooth. They also a little bright for my music taste. If you listen to a lot of vocal and jazz, you'll be really happy with the 501s. You can find a used pair of 501s on audiogon betwen $6K-6.5K if you're patient enough. Highend audio electronics is like luxury cars, they depreciate much faster so I would never buy them new but that's me.

Comment

• Ash
                                                                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Alaric
                                                                The 402s are very good amps-but audio is like horsepower. Speed costs money-how fast ya wanna go? The MC501 is a noticeable step up from the MC402. Krell has become a little 'warmer' in recent years , so that may be a good choice if you like the Classe. Honestly , you should audition gear in this price range before you decide.
                                                                I think that I want to buy something that will have sufficient power to drive the N800s. I don't want to go as loud as concert levels but I want it to provide a nice, detailed and full sound (good base control), and be able to do its part when I turn up the volume (no loss of bass or increase in harshness). I don't want to have a need to replace them in a very long time. I need it to go this fast! I haven't listened to any Krell amps before, so I'm not sure how they sound like, but I have an idea from all I have read about them.

I really wish I could audition everything at home but thats not possible.

Thanks

Originally posted by quan325i
                                                                Like others have said, the MC501 monos have much smoother and more control bass. I've listenen to the same Nautilus 801s driven by various monos and the two that stand out are the Krell 750MCX which my friends bought for $13K/used pair and the MC501s which I bought from him for $6k. The Krell 750MCX give more slam, tight bass but not smooth. They also a little bright for my music taste. If you listen to a lot of vocal and jazz, you'll be really happy with the 501s. You can find a used pair of 501s on audiogon betwen $6K-6.5K if you're patient enough. Highend audio electronics is like luxury cars, they depreciate much faster so I would never buy them new but that's me.
                                                                Thanks quan, I think that I would also like a smooth amp, not sure if I can say that a bright amp can get to me, but if it is harsh then it will get to me!

I listen to a combination of things, different types of music, vocals, instrumentals, and many other but mainly progressic rock and some metal. So I need an amp that does everything well.

I agree that buying second hand gear gives better value for money, currently Im buying second hand, but there is always a risk of something not functioning perfectly!

Thanks

Comment

• Pedro
                                                                  • Jan 2006

Have you check Electrocompaniet NEMO 1x600WRMS (AW600)^???

Comment

• Ash
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Pedro
                                                                    Have you check Electrocompaniet NEMO 1x600WRMS (AW600)^???
                                                                    Sorry for the late reply. I have never tested the Electricompanient, so not sure how it will compare with the other 3 brands. I have read some posts on the forum saying that they are very good.

Comment

Working...
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"