Anyone have any details about the redesigned XT4?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adeeb
    • Oct 2004

Anyone have any details about the redesigned XT4?

It was shown in prototype form recently at CEDIA.

Redesigned XT4
    Last edited by Adeeb; 10 July 2008, 04:39 Thursday.
  • WI Rotel
    • Jul 2006

Not a peep. From what I read elsewhere, the prototypes were self powered units and had a redesigned mid driver.

Comment

• Adeeb
      • Oct 2004

Interesting, but what would be the purpose of having them self powered? Any links?

Comment

• style
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2006

Hi,

from a new subwoofer CM linie I have read in a Germany book's, but for a new black color is really a news.

Black piano lack will be great. (in this forum pictures see....)

Powered?? uhm.. maybe only the center...

Greetings Omar

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Adeeb
          Interesting, but what would be the purpose of having them self powered? Any links?
          It's something B&W showed at CES this year. They are not replacing the current XT models (that I know of), this will be an addition to the line.

Want to talk about quality Home Theater in a Box? Let's talk about B&W's new Liberty system, a new integrated 5.1 system featuring wireless, cable-free speakers. The Liberty range comprises four

The last time I asked my rep about them he didn't have a ship date.

Eric

Comment

• WI Rotel
            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
            It's something B&W showed at CES this year. They are not replacing the current XT models (that I know of), this will be an addition to the line.

Want to talk about quality Home Theater in a Box? Let's talk about B&W's new Liberty system, a new integrated 5.1 system featuring wireless, cable-free speakers. The Liberty range comprises four

The last time I asked my rep about them he didn't have a ship date.

Eric
            That is what I had seen too! It looks like it would be pretty cool. Probably bluetooth connections to tie everything up. The only issue that I see with something like that (certainly not an issue to most people) would be how to do 7.1, could you add more satellites? Will the wireless pre have that option? Inquiring minds want to know. I've seen no news forthcomming from BW. It certainly looks like it would be pricey since instead of one amp you're buying 5 ice modules (one per speaker). The surrounds could probably do with the 100 watt modules but what about the mains? questions, questions........
            All in a box systems are very convinient (though probably all that most buyers need) but they always limit you're options significantly.

Comment

• WI Rotel
              • Jul 2006

For slightly more info google "BW liberty" which is the name of the system.

Comment

• Linki
                • Aug 2007

I have heard that there will be an addition the the XT series wich will have a FST midrange unit. It will be a passive speaker though.
                Also I don't think liberty will be happening anytime soon.... they didn't show it on CEDIA and it came with a DVD player whereas I think that at that price point you need HD.

Comment

• btf1980
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Linki
                  they didn't show it on CEDIA and it came with a DVD player whereas I think that at that price point you need HD.
                  No kidding, what's the point really? I heard an arrogant dealer hawking Meridian and Mcintosh MVP players telling potential buyers the wonders of upscaling and how it was just as good as blu-ray. :roll:
                  A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by btf1980
                    No kidding, what's the point really? I heard an arrogant dealer hawking Meridian and Mcintosh MVP players telling potential buyers the wonders of upscaling and how it was just as good as blu-ray. :roll:
                    Yep dealers can be full of it. Upscalling is as good as blueray "IN A STANDARD DEF TV! :rofl: "
                    I think one of the big issues with BD is that licensing is so high that if you were not part of the original group or a very big company you are kind of screwed. I think that is also part of the "problem" of putting DTS HD-MA in players, DTS wants an arm and a leg for the license rights, I hope that DTS gets screwed and the studios choose dolby HD more, that is another market "screwup" Dolby HD was part of the HD DVD format but not of blueray, another PITA however there are a lot more DTS MA movies than dolby HD in blueray argggh! AS far as the DTS website (checked yesterday) the only player on the market that will internally decode DTS MA is the PS3. All others can only output the signal via HDMI ver 1.3 (of the ones that can handle it at all). Unadulterated pure crap for the consumer.

Comment

• RebelMan
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by WI Rotel
                      AS far as the DTS website (checked yesterday) the only player on the market that will internally decode DTS MA is the PS3. All others can only output the signal via HDMI ver 1.3 (of the ones that can handle it at all).
                      The dts list is incomplete. There are players from Denon (3800BDCI), Panasonic (DMP-BD50K) and Sony (BDP-S550) that will decode all of the formats including dts-HD MA.
                      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• hifiguymi
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by RebelMan
                        The dts list is incomplete. There are players from Denon (3800BDCI), Panasonic (DMP-BD50K) and Sony (BDP-S550) that will decode all of the formats including dts-HD MA.
                        You can add the Pioneer BDP-51FD and the Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD to that list as well. The first units will not do it out of the box, but there will be a firmware update to add it in a few months.

Eric

Comment

• WI Rotel
                          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                          The sony and panasonic are not released yet, interestingly, they have been in the "pipeline" for a while. The Dennon, DTS, "claims" it can only downstream??? The Dennon costs over 2K and I haven't seen it, it would be nice if someone around here that has used it would report on it.

One point I'd love to understand however, why use either DTS MA nor Dolby True HD at all?????
                          Double layer BD has more than enough space for a 1080p movie plus a 7.1 LPCM track at 48K!!!!!!
                          This fact is patently obvious with 3:10 to Yuma: full 1080p24 video plus 7.1 LPCM, (which my Sony ES will happily work with), plus bonuses (which I could care less about)!
                          This entire situation is STUPID!!!!!!!!

Comment

• WI Rotel
                            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                            You can add the Pioneer BDP-51FD and the Pioneer Elite BDP-05FD to that list as well. The first units will not do it out of the box, but there will be a firmware update to add it in a few months.

Eric
                            Again 2 more players that don't DO IT. There will probably firmware for the Sony BDP s2000ES as well (as they did for the PS3)..............SOME DAY :roll: Again, its time these companies stop screwing with us!

Comment

• Adeeb
                              • Oct 2004

Hi Guys,

Can we please keep the discussion on topic? :-)

Thanks.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2007

The sony and panasonic are not released yet, interestingly, they have been in the "pipeline" for a while. The Dennon, DTS, "claims" it can only downstream??? The Dennon costs over 2K and I haven't seen it, it would be nice if someone around here that has used it would report on it.

One point I'd love to understand however, why use either DTS MA nor Dolby True HD at all?????
                                Double layer BD has more than enough space for a 1080p movie plus a 7.1 LPCM track at 48K!!!!!!
                                This fact is patently obvious with 3:10 to Yuma: full 1080p24 video plus 7.1 LPCM, (which my Sony ES will happily work with), plus bonuses (which I could care less about)!
                                I can verify that both of the Denon BD players will bitstream all audio codecs and that the player will decode all audio codecs. I have both of them on display and they function as advertised.

The movie studios use those codecs because of extras I would guess. I wouldn't doubt that money has a little to do with it as well. It wouldn't suprise me if the encoders are sold at a fraction of their cost, if not given, to the movie studios so those companies are names are everywhere. On BD players, receivers, preamps, etc. I maybe wrong though.

Eric

Comment

• RebelMan
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2005

Only the Sony has yet to be released and they planned it for Fall since CES. As I said the Denon decodes em all.

Just because it can hold the data doesn't imply that it should. Efficiency in all forms is encouraged.

Not really, but it can be frustrating to see history repeat itself and early adopters have come to expect this. I suggest you wait it out if it bothers you that much.
                                  "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                    • Jul 2006

[Not really, but it can be frustrating to see history repeat itself and early adopters have come to expect this. I suggest you wait it out if it bothers you that much.[/QUOTE]

I should have, but once HDDVD died (I had the Xbox player and my Quosmio computer has one too) I went out for the BDP 2000 ES! The player is flawless otherwise, the video is second to none and the audio is fabulous (the loading waiting has been mostly fixed by updates). What irritated the hell out of me is that though they trumpeted DTS HD decoding, they slighted the fact that HD MA was not included :evil: only HD HR for which I haven't found a single movie! Thus after spending, 2000 bucks for a 1069 and 1200 bucks for the player (part of the whole HDMI transformation to go with my Elite plasma, another 5K!), I'm still not guaranteed that I'll be able to play all formats. Personally, I think that's real BS!

Sorry for the off topic diatribe :M

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                      • Jul 2006

Not really, but it can be frustrating to see history repeat itself and early adopters have come to expect this. I suggest you wait it out if it bothers you that much.[/QUOTE]

You can say that again!
                                      Blue ray won the format war but its a mess. HDDVD had the High rez formats as part of the format not optional like blueray!

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"