X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sef
    • Jul 2008

Amp to drive CDM-1NT

Hi everyone, newbie here. I recently purchased a pair of CDM-1NTs along with the Mordaunt Short MS409W active sub and the Sony DVD DVP-S7700 as source (Blue Jeans speaker cables and interconnects). I was wondering if anyone could recommend something to drive the B&W's? At the moment I'm using an old Technics SU-V1X and was gonna bi-amp a Technics SU-V4X and a Technics SU-V505 till it transpired the SU-V505 doesn't work! My budget's a bit tight to be honest; whether there's anything I could pick up relatively cheap (<200 pounds) off Ebay that could do these speakers justice I just do not know! Any advice you guys could give me would be much appreciated (expensive or cheap - preferably cheap!)
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Its a bit hard to say for 200 quid as I don't know what your technics sounds like. I'm tempted to suggest buying a few discs and enjoying what you have for a while.

What are your listening habits/interests eg movies, types of music, what volume do you like to listen at, what sort of room is it in (big and empty or small with lots of furniture etc).

The 1NTs are not unlike my 705s (now my rear speaker) and they do benefit from decent amplification. They can also sound fine with budget gear if the synergy is there. Rotel is the obvious choice on a budget.

I have a left field suggestion. Your Technics is old enough to have a phono stage. Maybe buy a cheap 2nd hand turntable and try out some vinyl. It may give you more fun for you buck than a new amplifier (unless the technics is really bad) . A new Rega P1 can be had for 200 quid, or maybe a second hand P3 might fit that budget. For pure enjoyment of music a turntable is the way to go, or just add to your music collection. Jack White suggests his albums sound best on vinyl so you don't have to be 40 plus or a DJ to enjoy the vinyl resurgence.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Dutch BW
      • Feb 2007

I have the CDM 1nt combined with old rotel stuff, RB980bx RC990bx RCD971 and works great. For a bigger room it needs a sub.

Comment

• artv4
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Dutch BW
        I have the CDM 1nt combined with old rotel stuff, RB980bx RC990bx RCD971 and works great. For a bigger room it needs a sub.
        i second on old rotel stuff!!!!
        GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"