X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moonlightdrive21
    • Dec 2005

Just got my 3200, CDP-102 and SSP600

Just got my 3200, CDP-102 and SSP600. Thanks to Photoman, Rebelman, sikoniko, Kal, etc. who helped me along the way.

Very happy so far. Two channel CD playback is superb, with more extended highs and lows than I ever had. Great detail, very musical, very natural. Played around with the new Norah Jones, Pink Floyd, Alicia Keys Unplugged, Best of Mapleshades Vol 1 (melodic jazz), King Kong DVD, Clapton Concert DVD, etc. It plays really great loud and low.

The SSP600 with multiprocessing sounds great with DVD's, however I am not getting enough bass power at the moment. I don't have my sub hooked in yet, but with my B&W 802D's and my old SSP, I got noteably stronger bass, though it was less detailed and natural. I believe what I'm experiencing is due to my configuration and is not a reflection of the SSP600. Until the sub connection happens, I have my fronts set to large and my center set to large (since it is a B&W HTM2D) and the surrounds set to small, with no sub. I double checked the menu options to make sure that the system knew I had no sub. I did auto calibrate. I hope the bass authority improves.

The only other problem I have is that the "zone" is not producing any sound for me when I select it in the menu. I have the audio zone output going to another Classe amp, and the amp is going to mini speakers. I'm trying to have it set up where my wife and kids can watch TV using the mini speakers and not have to use all the expensive B&W speakers for ordinary TV watching. So far, I am not able to get any sound out of the zone when it is selected and the volume is increased (I checked all the physical connections too) . Is there another even better way to have the system set up where my wife can just use the two mini speakers for TV watching (my TV has no internal speakers)?

Also, how do I have the THX post processing always be applied by default so I don't have to keep activating it every time I throw in a DVD movie?

Thanks!!
    Dave
  • ChrisssB
    • Feb 2006

Congrats for your new toys
    I'm sure they are gonna give you lots of fun!
    I'm sorry that I cant help you with "zone" setup, but about the bass thing, keep in mind that when we hear clean controled bass for the 1st time, it looks like its lighter.
    Well the truth is that we were (I know I was ) used to hear blur-smudge bass.
    Since my ca-2200 took care of things I am experiencing super clean sound, fine details are there, and overall everything is very natural.
    Everything's changed so much now it's almost like it fine tuned the room!
    It's been 2 weeks since they arrived, and still they amaze me every single time I listen to music....
    :T

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Congrats moonlightdrive21! You have a great system there.

It sounds like the subwoofer maybe enabled when it shouldn't be given your current speaker setup. Under "system setup" choose your configuration (I will assume you are using "configuration 1") then choose "more" then "speaker config" and then "subwoofer". If you see "sub enabled" highlighted then you need to disable it. Chrisssb also makes a very good point.

If you are using the default configuration lables called "position X" where X can be from 1 to 4 for each corresponding configuration from 1 to 4, make sure that the current position corresponds to the correct configuration. You can verify your position under the "status" menu. This is important because if you reviewed (verified) a different configuration from the one your system auto configured, the SSP will use the settings set in the last configuration you "touched" (looked at).

Do you have an input selected for the zone? Also note that the volume is controlled on the display, not by the rotary dial nor the remote buttons.

Every time you switch inputs the modes will reset to their default values or if you setup preferences it will use those. Unfortunately, you cannot force the THX setting in the preference settings so to maintain the THX post processing feature, dont's toggle inputs. Another work around would be to program one of the function keys on the remote to toggle THX.
      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• moonlightdrive21
        • Dec 2005

ChrisssB: You raise some valid points. The bass I am getting is clearly more refined and the whole presentation is much more pristine than I am used to. However, action/sci fi movies can use more bass "beef" for my tastes. The reality is that as soon as I add the sub to the mix (not in yet because I ordered the wrong interconnect by mistake), it will make it all fine. But just using the 802D's should be producing "bigger" bass in my opinion. It may be a configuration issue, or like you said, it may just be me having to get used to more natural and refined bass.

I do want to point out that two channel CD playback with my CDP-102 and SSP600 is producing phenomenal bass in detail and in power, better than I ever had in my room. So the issue is the SSP600 multizone playback.

Rebelman:
        As always, thank you for the very valuable advice. I do have the sub disbaled in the SSP600 menu, but will recheck the position/configuration based on your comments. As a matter of fact, I may just redo the calibration because I adjusted settings after I calibrated.

As for the zone problem, I am aware of the points you mentioned, and still no dice. But I will play around with it again today. I'm wondering if the issue is my Classe CAV150 6 channel power amp, which is currently powering my surrounds and supposed to be powering the two mini speakers. Right now, the amp is hooked up to my SSP600 and working fine powering my surround speakers. I have two channels on the amp bridged going to one surround and two channels bridged going to the other surround. That leaves two open channels, which I am trying to use as left and right for the two mini speakers. These two channles are not bridged, and are connecting via single ended interconnects to the audio zone output on my SSP600. Maybe the amp can't do part of itself bridged and part of itself not bridged? I'll try calling Classe today.

Can't believe that they don't have an option to always have THX turned on for a mode. They should fix that for sure.

Thanks!!
        Dave

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

Congratulations on the system! Im sure it sounds great! Can't wait to see pictures. I spent all day yesterday just sitting and listening to music. Pretty unproductive, but fun. heh. Hope you are doing the same today.
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

If it is like the CAV-75, where you have to move a jumper, all channels will be bridged.
            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• moonlightdrive21
              • Dec 2005

Connected the sub. With it integrated into my system, the bass is excellent for multichannel processing. At the moment, I have my two fronts (B&W 802D's) and center (B&W HTM2D) set to "small" with the cross over frequency for the sub set to 40hz. So, no doubling of bass between my sub and the two fronts. I will always use the sub (JL Fathom F113) with mulitprocessing audio and will always not use it for 2 channel CD playback, therefore I have no more worries or issues as originally posted.

Found out that the reason why the Zone was not working on the SSP600 was because I was trying to use a digital signal source. You can only use one of the single ended inputs with an analog audio signal in order for the Zone to work. Thanks Rebelman for trying to help me with this one!

All is well. Now just having fun listening to CD's and DVD's.

Again, I highly recommend trying Clapton's "One More Car One More Driver" DVD concert. It will allow you to showcase all aspects of your system, not to mention that it's a great show.

Dave
              Last edited by moonlightdrive21; 27 February 2007, 00:34 Tuesday.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"