X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ti33er
    • Apr 2004

804S with Audiolab 8000M/P amplifiers

Hello all

It's been a very long time since I have been on this forum!

My flatmate should be getting a pair 804S tomorrow and just wondering if anyone has tried 804S with Audiolab 8000M (monobloc) or 8000P (stereo) amplifiers?

I have a single 8000M and an 8000P in my possession, was planning on fleabaying them but they are quite good amps for the money and would like to know if anyone has had experience with this combo, compared to higher end amps that are recommended?

The 8000M's are relatively cheap and he could even go the bi-amp route eventually if they perform decently.

*** He is on a budget so this is why we are not just jumping to Classe brand etc. ***
    "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Only heard the Audiolab CD player with a valve amp. Seemed fine for the money.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• ti33er
      • Apr 2004

Thanks Briz

I have just rigged up an 8000M (125W) to one 804S and then bi-amped the 8000P (2 x 100W) to the other speaker this morning - the monobloc sounds a tad better than the bi-amp stereo amp imo.

The overall sound so far is acceptable but critically seems a bit warm and bass could be tighter or more transparent? Maybe that is just the 804S though? I don't have much experience with 804 to be sure. Any thoughts on 804S as to how they should sound with good amplification, do they tend to be warm speakers?

Anyone else tried this combo anyway, Audiolab + 800 series?

Comment

• Briz vegas
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

It comes down to "warm compared to what".

I've had my 804s for about 2 years now and at first I was dissappointed at the lack of warmth (Marantz receiver and I think I had an old 100w power amp at the time), I would call them fairly neutral now (see my profile).

Have a close look at your room as this may be adding to the apparent warmth. Grab an ironing board or similar and lean it in the corner of the room with a blanket over it (DIY bass trap) - It tightens the bass, clears up the mids and will make the speaker more neutral sounding - or at least it does in my room.
        Attached Files
        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• ti33er
          • Apr 2004

Good idea! Will try the bass trap soon. Thanks Briz

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"