This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjahshik32
    • Sep 2007

Very weird.. heard a HUGE difference between the yamaha v861 vs. rotel RA-985BX

I tried connecting the L+R of my 685 straight to the yamaha v861 since its rated at 60hz for a total of 400watts and especially each channel at 120watts. But the 685 sounded so thin and much weaker and less clarity compared to the rotel RA-985BX connected to the 685 as the amp and the yamaha used as the pre.

But I'm just confused.. as to why the rotel sounds so much fuller/better when its a 10 year older amp and still rated for a total of 400watts with 60hz (same specs as the yamaha) but with only 100watts per channel...
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I don't like Yamaha. The companies philosophy does not agree with my idea of hifi. Specs with 29 lines on gizmos and one line on actual performance - its an indication of who they are marketing to.

If the Rotel sounds better it is most likely because it is better.

PS I think you got your specs wrong by the way.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• miner
      • Mar 2005

Yep. Pair Yamaha-ha wih Bose -

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by jjahshik32
        I tried connecting the L+R of my 685 straight to the yamaha v861 since its rated at 60hz for a total of 400watts and especially each channel at 120watts. But the 685 sounded so thin and much weaker and less clarity compared to the rotel RA-985BX connected to the 685 as the amp and the yamaha used as the pre.

But I'm just confused.. as to why the rotel sounds so much fuller/better when its a 10 year older amp and still rated for a total of 400watts with 60hz (same specs as the yamaha) but with only 100watts per channel...

jjahshik32,

Not all watts are the same. 100 or 200 watts of a entry or midgrade reciever is not the same as a Rotel unit. The power supply and implementation in a unit like Rotel is much better typically than the Yamaha. This is a primary reason a Rotel unit will cost more than a Yamaha. Also, Rotel is conservative in their watt ratings (I had the Rotel 1095 amp rated at 200 wpc. I had it bench measured. It was actually putting out about 240 wpc). Their power supplies will simultaneously and continuously drive all channels with low distortion at their rated wattage or better.

Simply enjoy the Rotel. It's a very good performaer.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• jjahshik32
          • Sep 2007

I guess I thought using the yamaha for the pre/amp for movies would see no difference instead of using the rotel as the amp.

But using the rotel as the amp and using the yamaha as the pre sounds so much fuller and richer in movies. I'm more targeted in movies than 2 channel music listening but it does sound much much better in music as well.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"