• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

worried about an ebay 802D for sale

Here is the link.

I would be careful. The guy has 3 feedbacks none recent and when I asked him why he listed them as Cherrywood when obviously they are rosewood his reply was quote

Hello,

Ebay sampler isnt have this color.

Thank you,
    *elwoverine08*

end quote

and worriesome links to ebay pages that I would not fill out. Just a warning to others. Something is not right IMHO
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

I would not touch this sounds fishi!
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by wettou
      I would not touch this sounds fishi!
      Yea but when shipping is only $54 how can you go wrong? I'd say jump on these.

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

Plus he has listed "Very cheap shipping" and it is for USPS delivery! :wink:

Comment

• btf1980
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by DM3000 Owner
          Yea but when shipping is only $54 how can you go wrong? I'd say jump on these.
          Not only is shipping $54, but he's sending it via media mail!! :rofl: :rofl:
          A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• kmcheng
            • Jan 2008

Maybe someone can ask him to post a picture of the speakers with a Post-it to verify? The $54 USPS media shipping does sound fishy, but maybe the seller made a mistake when creating the ebay page? It looks like it is the first time the user tries to sell something on ebay.

However, I myself had indeed come across fake ebay auctions of B&W speakers before. One could never be too careful...

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Originally posted by kmcheng
              Maybe someone can ask him to post a picture of the speakers with a Post-it to verify? The $54 USPS media shipping does sound fishy, but maybe the seller made a mistake when creating the ebay page? It looks like it is the first time the user tries to sell something on ebay.

However, I myself had indeed come across fake ebay auctions of B&W speakers before. One could never be too careful...
              Scam is what it sounds like?
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• misterdoggy
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

I wrote the guy and received a page where I filled in my password, and then was so shaken up by it that I actually went and changed my paypal and ebay passwords.

now I have a lot of experience being a ebay powerseller and usually don't slip up, but the response I got was not one of those clean ebay letters you get. Maybe I'm over reacting but better to be on the safe side.

I mean no way anyone can shp 200lbs of speakers for $54 and then he said the color wasnt an option but it was not an option he chose it was in his written description. He spoke poor english but his description sounds like text book sales review or a sales statement rather than a private person.

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                  I wrote the guy and received a page where I filled in my password, and then was so shaken up by it that I actually went and changed my paypal and ebay passwords.
                  Why did you do that for??

Comment

• jjahshik32
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by misterdoggy

now I have a lot of experience being a ebay powerseller and usually don't slip up, but the response I got was not one of those clean ebay letters you get. Maybe I'm over reacting but better to be on the safe side.

I mean no way anyone can shp 200lbs of speakers for $54 and then he said the color wasnt an option but it was not an option he chose it was in his written description. He spoke poor english but his description sounds like text book sales review or a sales statement rather than a private person.
                    Thats my number 1 rule, I never EVER put my user name and password from an email even if it looks authentic.

I always go to the actual paypal.com or ebay.com login and then see if I got the mail in my accounts and usually its not there. I've sold over a 100 things on ebay and did over hundred transaction through paypal with no problems with this rule.

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by jjahshik32
                      Thats my number 1 rule, I never EVER put my user name and password from an email even if it looks authentic. I always go to the actual paypal.com or ebay.com login and then see if I got the mail in my accounts and usually its not there. I've sold over a 100 things on ebay and did over hundred transaction through paypal.
                      Yes that what happens crook are lurking and phishing so they can still money

Comment

• speakerboy
                        • Nov 2005

I just had my ASW850 subwoofer sold on Ebay and when I listed it, I made 100% sure how much it would cost to ship and how. Those 802D speakers are too heavy to ship and if I bought them online, I would never have them shipped UPS/Fedex Ground; they HAVE TO ship freight. If the item was returned back to me, I'd make dang sure they came back undamaged. I just marked that 802D auction as fraudulent.
                        Last edited by speakerboy; 22 May 2008, 09:56 Thursday.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                          • Sep 2007

$54 for shipping the 802D is too good to be true. Maybe at least per speaker + damage.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

Originally posted by speakerboy
                            I just had my 850 subwoofer sold on Ebay and when I listed it, I made 100% sure how much it would cost to ship and how. Those 802D speakers are too heavy to ship and if I bought them online, I would never have them shipped UPS/Fedex Ground; they HAVE TO ship freight. If the item was returned back to me, I'd make dang sure they came back undamaged. I just marked that 802D auction as fraudulent.
                            I did the same.

The page I filled out was an ebay page but still the page email I received was slightly different.

I am just being paranoid. Better safe

Comment

• misterdoggy
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2005

Sure Enough it was a Fraud

Well I got a notice from ebay that the email I received was from a fraudulant source and they were phishing for info.

Now I clicked on the link to go to ebay and it automatically filled in my password so I am thinking that this cannot be anything other than the ebay website or my browser would not autofill the info.

I did not manually fill in any info, but even so 2 minutes after I went and changed my passwords on both paypal and ebay just to be sure.

I don't think browsers autofill non https ebay pages but none the less I was upset to see the autofill take place.

Phoney all the way............

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"