Can anyone recommend me a good sub for the 805S?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jjahshik32
    • Sep 2007

Can anyone recommend me a good sub for the 805S?

I decided to keep my 805S in 2 channel instead of buying the 803S. What sub in the $400-$500 do you guys recommend.. I'm looking at the velodyne subs which someone recommended around here!

Any advice would help thank you! And this was a previous post but I just reused it!
    Last edited by jjahshik32; 16 May 2008, 03:39 Friday.
  • artv4
    • Jun 2007

dd-12 all the way!
    GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)

Comment

• kobestonecold
      • Sep 2007

Way to go that you want to keep 805s. If you really want to upgrade next time go with the Diamond series ok. :T

Even 803 need an sub
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXwJgKQO30w

Comment

• jjahshik32
        • Sep 2007

Originally posted by kobestonecold
        Way to go that you want to keep 805s. If you really want to upgrade next time go with the Diamond series ok. :T

Even 803 need an sub
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXwJgKQO30w

Yea I thought that my next upgrade should be at least an 803D! Thanks man! I think adding a sub would do wonders to the 805S. I just love the way the 805S performs for its size and looks so much!

Comment

• beden1
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by artv4
          dd-12 all the way!
          The Velodyne DD-12 is a great sub, but it's over $2,000!

You're going to be hard pressed to get a new sub for under $500 that will keep you from wishing you bought something else in a month. I did a quick check on Audiogon.com and saw this new Velodyne sub for sale that looks very interesting for an under $600 price (retail of $800). You may want to do some research on it, and see what you think.

If I remember correctly, your room is on the small size. You're going to need a quality output, as opposed to something large that would be overpowering.

Comment

• speakerboy
            • Nov 2005

Check out the JL Audio Fathom F113. After hearing about it on here, I checked it out at the dealer and ordered one a couple days later...it is unbelieveable and blends well with my B&W N803 speakers! But it's over $3000! Alternatively, you can buy my B&W ASW850 subwoofer on Ebay for a lot less!

Comment

• jjahshik32
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by beden1
              The Velodyne DD-12 is a great sub, but it's over $2,000!

You're going to be hard pressed to get a new sub for under $500 that will keep you from wishing you bought something else in a month. I did a quick check on Audiogon.com and saw this new Velodyne sub for sale that looks very interesting for an under $600 price (retail of $800). You may want to do some research on it, and see what you think.

If I remember correctly, your room is on the small size. You're going to need a quality output, as opposed to something large that would be overpowering.
              Thanks alot! I'm in a relatively small room and I dont really like too much bass anyway. So anything that gives me somewhat of a rattle is good enough just want it to go well with the 805S. Like a cheap altec lansing sub for $40 bucks is big to me, lol.

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by jjahshik32
                Thanks alot! I'm in a relatively small room and I dont really like too much bass anyway. So anything that gives me somewhat of a rattle is good enough just want it to go well with the 805S. Like a cheap altec lansing sub for $40 bucks is big to me, lol.
                It's not the loudness of the bass that you need to worry about, it's the quality of the bass. For your 805S speakers, you will be surprised how well the whole sound comes together if matched with a quality sub woofer . . . for music and for movies.

That Velodyne let's you adjust the bass output with a remote control and it will let you easily experiment with different gains, etc.

Comment

• cug
                  • Jan 2008

Still: you want two subwoofers for stereo listening ... as I said in another place. And then a bigger cabinet speaker is normally cheaper.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                    • Sep 2007

It seems to me that alot of people like the velodyne! Thanks guys, I'll start researching like a mad scientist on the velodyne subs!

Comment

• beden1
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by cug
                      Still: you want two subwoofers for stereo listening ... as I said in another place. And then a bigger cabinet speaker is normally cheaper.
                      I have two Velodyne 15" subs, and I agree that a twin sub set-up is the "ultimate" way to go. But, I think his listening room is his bedroom, and he probably needs to just fill in the lows for his 805S. A single sub should be all he needs at this point.

He is just starting out, and the next step in the equation should be a decent receiver or a separate pre-amp and amp configuration . . . before looking at another sub IMO.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                        • Sep 2007

I have two Velodyne 15" subs, and I agree that a twin sub set-up is the "ultimate" way to go. But, I think his listening room is his bedroom, and he probably needs to just fill in the lows for his 805S. A single sub should be all he needs at this point.

He is just starting out, and the next step in the equation should be a decent receiver or a separate pre-amp and amp configuration . . . before looking at another sub IMO.
                        You hit the nail on this my bedroom is pretty big but half of the room has the 805S setup so it fills the room pretty easily. I think 1 sub will work fine but I would love to get the mcintosh mc252 first..

Comment

• beden1
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2006

You hit the nail on this my bedroom is pretty big but half of the room has the 805S setup so it fills the room pretty easily. I think 1 sub will work fine but I would love to get the mcintosh mc252 first..
                          Others may be more qualified than me to provide you with an upgrade path, but let me start with a few suggestions.

First, you really need to read more of the forums and web sites, as well as visit audio shops and ask questions of those who have already experienced the pit falls and successes of building stereo and A/V systems. And, your questions should ask about a logical path of putting together a system that you can build on for the future.

Right now, you are jumping around far too much. You need to develop a long range plan, because you are only confusing yourself at this point.

You also need to listen to those who provide you with their experienced suggestions, instead of having pre-conceived ideas like "I'm going to get a McIntosh amp"! For example, there are a lot of other used amps out there that may be better suited for you and your current financial constraints "bang for the buck".

In my opinion, you are at the base line of building your system, and have started out correctly in getting a very nice pair of speakers. As your system grows into home theater, you will always be able to use these speakers even if you decide to use them for your surrounds.

Building a system with individual components is a very expensive way to go. Since you are working right now with limited funds and don't seem to be that into home theater at this point, you could look for a very good quality used stereo receiver or combo pre-amp/amp. If you feel you like McIntosh for example, I see many used and vintage receivers that would more than suit your current needs. This piece could also serve you well for many years as you start building on the other parts of your system (it would also take care of your pre-amp, amp and radio tuner needs). Many of these McIntosh receivers are some of the best that have ever been in the marketplace.

There are many other costly issues you will later deal with when you're building your system: like source players including CD or the new types of music servers; sub woofer(s), more speakers, TV, cabinets, etc., etc.

If it were me right now in your shoes, I'd keep your 805s and get a nice McIntosh stereo receiver with about 100 watts per channel. With this unit, you will be able to fully enjoy your stereo listening for many years.

For example, here is a very nice piece that I saw on Audiogon that has been serviced by a place that specializes in vintage McIntosh:

Comment

• jjahshik32
                            • Sep 2007

Others may be more qualified than me to provide you with an upgrade path, but let me start with a few suggestions.

First, you really need to read more of the forums and web sites, as well as visit audio shops and ask questions of those who have already experienced the pit falls and successes of building stereo and A/V systems. And, your questions should ask about a logical path of putting together a system that you can build on for the future.

Right now, you are jumping around far too much. You need to develop a long range plan, because you are only confusing yourself at this point.

You also need to listen to those who provide you with their experienced suggestions, instead of having pre-conceived ideas like "I'm going to get a McIntosh amp"! For example, there are a lot of other used amps out there that may be better suited for you and your current financial constraints "bang for the buck".

In my opinion, you are at the base line of building your system, and have started out correctly in getting a very nice pair of speakers. As your system grows into home theater, you will always be able to use these speakers even if you decide to use them for your surrounds.

Building a system with individual components is a very expensive way to go. Since you are working right now with limited funds and don't seem to be that into home theater at this point, you could look for a very good quality used stereo receiver or combo pre-amp/amp. If you feel you like McIntosh for example, I see many used and vintage receivers that would more than suit your current needs. This piece could also serve you well for many years as you start building on the other parts of your system (it would also take care of your pre-amp, amp and radio tuner needs). Many of these McIntosh receivers are some of the best that have ever been in the marketplace.

There are many other costly issues you will later deal with when you're building your system: like source players including CD or the new types of music servers; sub woofer(s), more speakers, TV, cabinets, etc., etc.

If it were me right now in your shoes, I'd keep your 805s and get a nice McIntosh stereo receiver with about 100 watts per channel. With this unit, you will be able to fully enjoy your stereo listening for many years.
                            Thank you for your comment. Yea I do love these 805S and I was on the verge of upgrading to the 803S, I mean for a 5 month old pair of 803S that I can go pick up for an even $4500 is a nice deal but I dont feel the need to upgrade in the speaker area.

For me though I did have a listen at the 804S and to me even connected to the mcintosh mc272 the 804S sounded identical to the 805S just with a bit more developed midrange and more bass. But the difference for me was not significant enough for me to upgrade.

I did however listen to the 803S and wow its in a totally different league. But in the end I know if I upgrade the 803S, I will end up wanting to upgrade the amps very soon as well. Then after that (knowing myself very well that I will want to upgrade to the diamonds possibly the 803D to the least).

So I decided even with the tempting 803S deal I refused because in the end it would be just too costly (even if I can sell the 803S for what I paid for a year or two later but still amps played a role as well).

I've listened to the 804S and the 803S connected to the classe amp they had next to the mc272 (dont know exactly which model it was) but it was equivalent to the mc272 as it was next to each other for demo purposes. I instantly liked the mcintosh's sound better as I thought the classe was a bit too laid back sounding for my taste. The mcintosh imo was clearer, smoother especially the mids were sweet to the ears and had a bit of the clean punchiness behind all of that.

After that I decided I'm a mcintosh man! But I just hear all these praises over the mcintosh mc252 but they do not have that at my current dealer on the floor so I just want some opinions. IMHO I think any mcintosh amp would be a significant upgrade from my rotel RA-985BX right now. But for future upgrades I would think that the mc402 would do me well as I could keep my amp and not worrying about it in the future and only worrying about the newer speakers.

I've come to the decision as well that I will only stick with 2 channel as I think 5.1 or 7.1 is not necessary for me. So a very nice amp now and enjoy my 805S for years then sell the 805S and buy newer speakers is what I came down to.

Comment

• rodH
                              • Aug 2002

Why do you want to spend big money on a Mc amp and only $500 for a sub?

I have been researching this for the past couple months and here is what I concluded.

Sub under $700........AV123.com MFW15 (I think that is what it is called) or a sonotube from SVS

Sub under 1k and small.....velodyne SPL1000r

Sub under $1500 and a bit larger.....velodyne SPL1200r or 1500r

Sub under $1600 and large.....SVS PB13 ultra

Above this amount you are looking at Velodyne dd15, dd18, JL fathom F112, F113

Here is a pretty good links:

This website is for sale! avtalk.co.uk is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, avtalk.co.uk has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

• beden1
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Oct 2006

The only problem with your thought process, is that you will need a quality pre-amp to go along with your other gear, because you will not hear much of a difference in using your current receiver as the pre-amp.

That's why it is really best (most bang for the buck) to get a high quality receiver in the beginning so you can enjoy the quality output of your speakers. Of all of the receivers I have listened to over the years, the McIntosh's have been really excellent for music reproduction. The other great thing about them, is that you can usually sell them down the road (many years out), for about the same money as you paid.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                  • Sep 2007

Originally posted by rodH
                                  Why do you want to spend big money on a Mc amp and only $500 for a sub?

I have been researching this for the past couple months and here is what I concluded.

Sub under $700........AV123.com MFW15 (I think that is what it is called) or a sonotube from SVS

Sub under 1k and small.....velodyne SPL1000r

Sub under $1500 and a bit larger.....velodyne SPL1200r or 1500r

Sub under $1600 and large.....SVS PB13 ultra

Above this amount you are looking at Velodyne dd15, dd18, JL fathom F112, F113

Here is a pretty good links:

http://www.avtalk.co.uk/forum/index....0&SQ=0&start=0

Thanks for the information. I think the amp is the heart of the system and is more important than bass. I personally dont like too much bass anyway. At times I think the 805S bass is good enough. And I personally havnt heard the differences of the subs from velodyne or the b&w or any of the other companies but I think if I would go with a better amp especially mcintosh, the 805S will get a bit more punchier in bass (which I like) and not to mention everything else being significantly better and it might be enough for me.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                    • Sep 2007

The only problem with your thought process, is that you will need a quality pre-amp to go along with your other gear, because you will not hear much of a difference in using your current receiver as the pre-amp.

That's why it is really best (most bang for the buck) to get a high quality receiver in the beginning so you can enjoy the quality output of your speakers. Of all of the receivers I have listened to over the years, the McIntosh's have been really excellent for music reproduction. The other great thing about them, is that you can usually sell them down the road (many years out), for about the same money as you paid.
                                    Thank you for that, I didnt realize that preamp would be more important than the actual power amp. Man it is very expensive to go mcintosh period!

I had my eye on the mc252/c2200 but wow each can be had for 3-4k!

Comment

• beden1
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2006

Thank you for that, I didnt realize that preamp would be more important than the actual power amp. Man it is very expensive to go mcintosh period!

I had my eye on the mc252/c2200 but wow each can be had for 3-4k!
                                      That's what I have been trying to express to you. You really need to formulate a plan with your eyes open. It's very easy to get caught up in the moment when reading these forums, and when everyone is recommending the top level gear. The problem is, this equipment is very expensive.

Most all of us have started out buying the best equipment we could get, for the money. Now 40 years later, I am still trying to put together the best system I can get, for the money.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                        • Sep 2007

That's what I have been trying to express to you. You really need to formulate a plan with your eyes open. It's very easy to get caught up in the moment when reading these forums, and when everyone is recommending the top level gear. The problem is, this equipment is very expensive.

Most all of us have started out buying the best equipment we could get, for the money. Now 40 years later, I am still trying to put together the best system I can get, for the money.
                                        So if I were to buy the mc252 and use my yamaha v861 as the preamp it wouldnt sound that great? Or I guess the question is would I see a significant difference from using my rotel RA-985BX as the amp right now. I have the yamaha v861 preout to the rotel and have the 805S connected to the rotel.

Well until I upgrade the preamp to a mcintosh of course.

Comment

• beden1
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2006

So if I were to buy the mc252 and use my yamaha v861 as the preamp it wouldnt sound that great?
                                          Bingo! But, it's not wrong to buy that amp now, if you understand that you will not benefit that much until you also have a quality signal going through it.

That means a quality pre-amp and source material. Really, until you either start using a quality CD player or a turn table for records (or I guess a music server that I don't know much about at this point), you are listening to poor play-back material through your computer. The saying "crap in and crap out" is true in this case.

As you can see, it's an involved process in order to achieve a high quality reproduction of music through an audio system.

Comment

• jjahshik32
                                            • Sep 2007

Bingo! But, it's not wrong to buy that amp now, if you understand that you will not benefit that much until you also have a quality signal going through it.

That means a quality pre-amp and source material. Really, until you either start using a quality CD player or a turn table for records (or I guess a music server that I don't know much about at this point), you are listening to poor play-back material through your computer. The saying "crap in and crap out" is true in this case.

As you can see, it's an involved process in order to achieve a high quality reproduction of music through an audio system.
                                            Ah, I understand now! Thanks alot this saves me alot of time and money! :E

Comment

• rodH
                                              • Aug 2002

So if I were to buy the mc252 and use my yamaha v861 as the preamp it wouldnt sound that great? Or I guess the question is would I see a significant difference from using my rotel RA-985BX as the amp right now. I have the yamaha v861 preout to the rotel and have the 805S connected to the rotel.

Well until I upgrade the preamp to a mcintosh of course.
                                              I just replied to this topic in your other thread

Comment

• DL86
                                                • Sep 2005

SVS PB-13 ultra or the JL Fathon F113 over velodyne and bw subs any day. The SVS subwoofer uses Rohacell material (same as b and w) for the cone and is a more solid performer than b and w subs. The JL is slightly more musical than the SVS but with less output compared to the SVS according to measured output on a website. If your preference is music listening than I would look at the JL. If you want to save some money get a SVS for half the price of a JL, very close to the JL for music but with more low end output.

Comment

• dknightd
                                                  • Mar 2006

Since you are now only interested in 2 channel, have you tried leaving the yamaha out completely? Isn't your rotel an integrated amp? Have you tried using it by itself? You may find the preamp section in the rotel is better than the preamp section in the yamaha - or you may not - easy enough to try it and find out for yourself. . .

Comment

Working...
                                                  😀
                                                  😂
                                                  🥰
                                                  😘
                                                  🤢
                                                  😎
                                                  😞
                                                  😡
                                                  👍
                                                  👎
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"