X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yourtoys7
    • Feb 2006

HELP! 703 805S w. sub. or wait for 804

Hello, I have been looking to aquire 804S but dealer only giving 10%, and having trouble picking pair used once. This week my dealer having 25% on all 700 series.
    My ? is , should I pick 703, or used 805S or wait till find deal on N804 or 804S.

In the future 5years or so this will become my rears and hoping to get 802.
    I'm 60/40 HT/ Music. Thanks...
    Sony AT 150" 16x9 screen
    PSB T6,
    Velodyne SPL 1000R
    Rotel RSX-1057
    Rotel RB-1070
    OPPO 103
    Apple TV
    [
  • jim777
    • Mar 2005

The 703 has no matching center so if you decide to keep them in front and buy smaller rears, you might not be happy for HT. It is great in stereo though.

But if it is really a 804S that you wan't, you should wait to avoid regretting it later..

Comment

• yourtoys7
      • Feb 2006

Thats what my wife tells me! WAIT....
      Sony AT 150" 16x9 screen
      PSB T6,
      Velodyne SPL 1000R
      Rotel RSX-1057
      Rotel RB-1070
      OPPO 103
      Apple TV
      [

Comment

• tboooe
        • Jun 2005

it also depends on whether or not you like the 700 series sound vs the 800 series. To my ears. the 700s are a bit more aggressive than the 800s which I find to be smoother and a bit more laid back. I am not saying one speakers series is better than the other but it appears that they were voiced differently.

when i compared the 703s vs the 804s i preferred the sound of the 804s. i mostly listen to female vocalists so i prefer a warmer, silkier sound.

jim777 makes a good point about the matching center.

also, where do you live? you should be able to get at least 20% off 804s...

Comment

• yourtoys7
          • Feb 2006

London, Canada. I also have family in Buffalo, NY. that thinking buying there, but bringing it over is Huge boxes. I'll be going there this weekend, we'll see what they offer. (maybe more then 10% as I'm getting Rotel 1057 which they don't have in stock yeat!).
          Sony AT 150" 16x9 screen
          PSB T6,
          Velodyne SPL 1000R
          Rotel RSX-1057
          Rotel RB-1070
          OPPO 103
          Apple TV
          [

Comment

• tonyle08
            • May 2006

If I could find a place around the CA Bay area, I would snatch it up in a heartbeat, but it seems like the most they offer around here is 10%. Do you have a place down in LA county that would easily offer 20%, if so I wouldn;t mind driving down there to pick up some 804s.

Comment

• Cactus
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by yourtoys7
              This week my dealer having 25% on all 700 series.
              Going out of business sale?????

Comment

• Loner
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by tonyle08
                If I could find a place around the CA Bay area, I would snatch it up in a heartbeat, but it seems like the most they offer around here is 10%. Do you have a place down in LA county that would easily offer 20%, if so I wouldn;t mind driving down there to pick up some 804s.
                Contact Duke at the Sound Factor in Pasadena. :T
                Denon AVR 3803, Denon DVD-2900, Denon DCM-560, Samsung Monitor, Yamaha TT-400U, Yamaha K-222, Panasonic PV-V4525S

Swans 6.1's Fronts, Swans C3 center, Swans R3's rears, SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofer, Cables - Neotech, BetterCables and Blue Jeans

Comment

• yourtoys7
                  • Feb 2006

I'll be getting 804S after having a listen.
                  I'm not an Audiphile but to my years: the 703 sounded thin, harsh, not as soft or full as 804S. Something was just missing or wasn't enjoyable. Now once 804S played, I didn't want to even consider 703. The dealer gave me really good deal, it is just little under 4000. cad. after taxes/ convertion.
                  I'll be going back across to visit in-laws and be picking them up + Rotel 1057 if they'll get one in time.
                  Sony AT 150" 16x9 screen
                  PSB T6,
                  Velodyne SPL 1000R
                  Rotel RSX-1057
                  Rotel RB-1070
                  OPPO 103
                  Apple TV
                  [

Comment

• Ade
                    • Jun 2006

I'll be getting 804S after having a listen.
                    I'm not an Audiphile but to my years: the 703 sounded thin, harsh, not as soft or full as 804S. Something was just missing or wasn't enjoyable. Now once 804S played, I didn't want to even consider 703. The dealer gave me really good deal, it is just little under 4000. cad. after taxes/ convertion.
                    I'll be going back across to visit in-laws and be picking them up + Rotel 1057 if they'll get one in time.
                    I'm a little surprised that you describe the 703 as "thin and harsh". I'd agree that the 804S is less harsh in the upper frequencies but both speakers are nice sounding.

Still a good choice though. And at 4000 cad$ that’s incredible – mine cost 6000 cad$ (34000 Norwegian kroner).

Comment

• Nov 2005

Hello, I have been looking to aquire 804S but dealer only giving 10%, and having trouble picking pair used once. This week my dealer having 25% on all 700 series.
                      My ? is , should I pick 703, or used 805S or wait till find deal on N804 or 804S.

In the future 5years or so this will become my rears and hoping to get 802.
                      I'm 60/40 HT/ Music. Thanks...
                      HI yourtoys,
                      Nice moniker!! The speakers you speak of are kind of apples and oranges. I have a full 5.1 805S based HT system and I love it. But it is not for everybody. If you have large room, cross the 805S off your list. The floorstanders will do better in a larger room. But if your room is small the 805S deserve serious consideration. My bedroom, where my system is located, is 12 feet X 15 feet X 8 feet. It's small and perfectly mated to my 805S based system. The sound is most impressive both for music and HT.

I also have dual ASW800 subs. This give me bass performance that is much better than any of the floorstanders until you get to the 801's, IMO.

Sparky

Comment

• yourtoys7
                        • Feb 2006

I want something on the floor, 805S are nice w. sub., but as someone pointed out, the price of stands! you're not too far from 804S for what you get. I did have JMlab choros 816S and they sound little softer then 703, far not as detailed and not as responsive or tight.
                        The 804S just really made me enjoy music more than I was in the past!
                        my room is corner room w. fireplace, 12 wide (where tv, electronics, speakers), one side wall is 8 R' the other 20 L' rear wall 19. I'll be using 804S as front/ music speakers, JMlab center, rears, sub.
                        any recomindations, advise are wellcome. I'll post pictures once I get them in.
                        Sony AT 150" 16x9 screen
                        PSB T6,
                        Velodyne SPL 1000R
                        Rotel RSX-1057
                        Rotel RB-1070
                        OPPO 103
                        Apple TV
                        [

Comment

• yourtoys7
                          • Feb 2006

I'm so happy! I called and ordered the 804S rosenut, and endup getting even better deal, extra 180.cad. off.
                          Will be picking them up 2nd week in July and if they have Rotel 1057 by then. I'll be using just the 1057 for some time. Have couple of ?s about amp, originally thinking of Rotel 1080 or used Bryston 4b st., wondering how will it sound, will that be enuph. (I can't take anything to demo as dealin in usa' and I'm from Canada),
                          thanks.
                          Sony AT 150" 16x9 screen
                          PSB T6,
                          Velodyne SPL 1000R
                          Rotel RSX-1057
                          Rotel RB-1070
                          OPPO 103
                          Apple TV
                          [

Comment

• B&W 700 Guy
                            • Jun 2006

I found the difference between the 804 and the 703 not big enough for me to buy the 804's. Now the 803's was a big difference. With the money I saved I was able to guy a Rosenut asw750 Sub (12", 1000watt). Note, the 704 and 803 need a sub.

Try out the Sunfire amps with ether of those speakers. I just upgraded from the Rotel to the Sunfire GTA-5200 and it made a huge difference to me. :T
                            Last edited by B&W 700 Guy; 02 July 2006, 18:07 Sunday. Reason: added "sunfire amp" take

Comment

• B&W 700 Guy
                              • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Loner
                              Contact Duke at the Sound Factor in Pasadena. :T
                              Not only for the B&W, but also their Sunfire Amps

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"