X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shakespeare
    • Mar 2008

XTs vs. 700 and 800 series

I was wondering if anyone could advise where the XTs series fall within the rest of b&w's range? Some say that it is comparable to the 700 series. Would any of you guys agree? Some also say that except for the diamond series its also comparable to the 800 series. Your views would be appreciated
  • alive&amplified
    • May 2008

The XT-series is definitely NOT comparable to the 800-series. It is, however, comparable to the 700-series. The XT4 is similar to a 704/703, but with a slimmer and sexier cabinet. I would compare the XT2 to the CM1 or the 705.

The bass response is deceiving from a speaker of that size, mostly due to the heavy milled aluminum cabinet. The more rigid the cabinet, the more stout the bass response.

Are you thinking about the XT4's or the XT2's?

Comment

• kmcheng
      • Jan 2008

I spent quite some time comparing the XT4 and the 805S side-by-side at the dealer since they are at a similar price point. They were both driven by the same Classe amp (forgot which model) during my audition. The Xt4 are decent, clear mid and high and tight bass etc. However, when I listened to the 805S I was instantly smitten. The 805S sounded more at ease with my materials (mostly jazz and classical).

Also, I always thought that the slim profile of the XT4 is an accident waiting to happen, especially if you have small children or pets. I do think they look slick and gorgeous.

Compared with the 805s, the XT4 does have fuller bass output. However, I am already using two subwoofers, so I did not care that much about the better bass output of the Xt4. Now that I actually have the 805S at home, I love the 805S sound so much that I disable my subwoofers when I listen to CD. I have no regret whatsoever for choosing the 805S over the XT4.

Comment

• WI Rotel
        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by kmcheng
        I spent quite some time comparing the XT4 and the 805S side-by-side at the dealer since they are at a similar price point. They were both driven by the same Classe amp (forgot which model) during my audition. The Xt4 are decent, clear mid and high and tight bass etc. However, when I listened to the 805S I was instantly smitten. The 805S sounded more at ease with my materials (mostly jazz and classical).

Also, I always thought that the slim profile of the XT4 is an accident waiting to happen, especially if you have small children or pets. I do think they look slick and gorgeous.

Compared with the 805s, the XT4 does have fuller bass output. However, I am already using two subwoofers, so I did not care that much about the better bass output of the Xt4. Now that I actually have the 805S at home, I love the 805S sound so much that I disable my subwoofers when I listen to CD. I have no regret whatsoever for choosing the 805S over the XT4.
        Should have compared the 805 with the XT2. Its a better comparison, though, of course, the 805 will still win since its larger bass radiator and enclosure will give it a warmer, fuller sound, however, the clarity of the highs and sound dispersion will be almost identical. Floor standing speakers are always a little less revealing than monitors, thats why people love monitors so much (me included). A monitor will always sound sweeter since not having the lower registers gives a more open, airy feeling which makes the speaker seem to disappear. Having the bass in the same box always has a muddling effect. The is the reasoning behind the design of the 802, 801 and 800, in effect its is three completely separate enclosures, Bass, Mid and Treble with each enclosure purposefuly tuned for its frequency spread, not magic, simply good acoustics! A better comparison for the XT4 is the 804.
        The issue with monitors is simple, they don't have any bass ergo it limits your musical repertoir! One combo I'd love to hear is 805's with PV1's (prefferably 2) it must sound amazing! :T

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

The 805 are with out a doubt better than the XT series, I wish B&W would come out with 805Ds
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• WI Rotel
            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by wettou
            The 805 are with out a doubt better than the XT series, I wish B&W would come out with 805Ds
            My point is they are not necessarily "better" but rather different. If you have an R&B collection, 805's by themselve's would by useless while XT4's would work just fine :W

Comment

• WI Rotel
              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by WI Rotel
              My point is they are not necessarily "better" but rather different. If you have an R&B collection, 805's by themselve's would by useless while XT4's would work just fine :W
              But of course I'm biased :twisted:

Comment

• jjahshik32
                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by WI Rotel
                R&B is my favorite Genre of music and I have to disagree.. it sounds awesome on the 805S. The vocals are superb and sounds as if they are singing live infront of you! Also the bass is tight and perfect for r&b :T

Comment

• Shakespeare
                  • Mar 2008

I have recently purchased the entire XT set up, but in hindsight was wondering if I made the right decision. I use the speakers equally for music and movies. W1 Rotel, I am considering partnering the set up with a Classe CA 5200. Do you think this would be a waste on the XTs?

Comment

• WI Rotel
                    • Jul 2006

Not at all, The XT4 requires a lot of current to sing. The more the better. You can never have too much amp .

Comment

• jimarchy
                      • Dec 2008

I have 4 x XT4's in my system + XTC .... Rotel 1575 Amp and a Classe SSP600.. Just wish I had a bigger house to crank it all up!!!!! Wonderful. Will one day add a PV1.. but otherwise I am very pleased with the set up.

Comment

• style
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006

I like the XT serie.

This speaker is very so power-hungry?
                        with the Rmb1575 the go play as well??

the new XT8 front, XT4 rear and the XTC will be very great....PV1? of course but 2 pieces.!!!

Style

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"