• May 2008

Need help with B&W 804 setup

Here is my setup:

Rega Planet CD player
    Denon AVR-2805
    Bryston B-60R integrated amp
    B&W 804 front
    B&W 805 rear
    Klipsch center channel (soon to be replaced)
    Klipsch RW-8 Sub

I was using the Bryston as a 2 channel setup with the 805's. Now that I have 804's as well, I'm trying for a home theather setup that can still be great for 2 channel music listening. I know it will never be as good, but I'd like it close. I am perfectly happy with the ht setup as is. The Denon sounds fine driving the 805's, but the 804's need a better amp.
    For 2 channel, I run the Denon in Pure Direct mode, with the pre-out into the Bryston acting as a power amp driving the 804's. It sounds the best this way. I have used the Bryston as a pre-amp and tried the Denon amp, but that wasn't as good. For critical listening, nothing beats disconnecting the Denon, and just using the Bryston driving the 804's as an integrated amp. If I do this, I lose the sub and ability to play in a surround mode, which I'd like without going behind the rack to change it over every time.
    I also understand that the B60 isn't exactly providing enough power, but it sounds amazing just using it as a 2 channel. There is so much more life and detail to the sound. Certain sections that sound clean on the Bryston seem to become cloudy with the Denon.
    I'm wondering what I should do next. I have seen amps like the Musical Fidelity A5 that have the HT direct bypass. Would that work better for me? Are there similiar amps that might work better, or do I just need a better processor, or just go with a larger power amp? Any input is appreciated.
    Pioneer Elite SC-05
    B&W 804
    B&W 805
    B&W HTM4
    Rega Planet CD player
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

So what you are saying is that you only have the one source - the Rega and by surround mode you are referring to Dolby pro-logic.

The "normal" solution is that you have 2 sources.

Music = Rega into Bryston via CD input - Denon off
    Movie = DVD into denon. Front left and right pre-out into Bryston's pre-in connection (assuming that is what it has)

Best of both worlds.

With your setup you always degrade the signal going through the Denons pre section because you only have the one player - or are you simply not telling us what DVD player you have?
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• y2kavengeres
      • May 2008

I didn't mention the DVD player. It's a toshiba SD-4800. Nothing special, but it works. I do have cable running through all the speakers as well. Right now, the Denon pre-out is hooked to the Bryston power amp in. The rega is hooked to the Denon cd input so that I can use the sub and rears if I want with Dolby pro logic, DTS Neo 6, or 5 channel stereo. In order to go back to 2 channel, and get better than pure direct, I have to run the Rega into the Bryston cd input, and hook up the jumpers from the Bryston pre-out to the power-in. Leaving the Denon disconnected. If I were to keep the Bryston acting as an integrated amp, and run the Rega directly into it, then run the Denon pre-out into the Bryston, I would have the volume dial of the Bryston controlling the volume of the front speakers for movies and tv, which will throw off the whole system. The other option is to hook it up with the cd directly into the Bryston, the rest coming out of the Denon, but I would need to put a splitter on the Bryston's power-amp input. Can I do that? The amp would need an input for the Denon acting as a pre-amp(TV, Movies) and one for the Bryston acting as both pre-amp and amp(CD). I think my best bet is an amp with a HT bypass, but wondering if there are better choices.
      Pioneer Elite SC-05
      B&W 804
      B&W 805
      B&W HTM4
      Rega Planet CD player

Comment

• kmcheng
        • Jan 2008

y2k:

I agree that your best bet is an amp with HT bypass. More specifically I think you need an integrated amp with HT bypass. Hopefully you can sell or trade in your Byrston at a good price towards your new amp.

I will use my set up as an example.

2-channel: CD player -> Bel Canto S300i integrated amp -> B&W 805
        HT L&R speakers: Source -> Receiver (setting L&R speakers to "large") -> Bel Canto S300i integrated amp (via HT bypass) -> B&W 805
        HT Center and rear speakers: Source -> Receiver -> Center and rear speakers

This way the integrated amp will control volume in 2 channel, and the receiver will control volume in HT. Of course, you can also use a pre-amp/amp combination in place of the integrated amp.

You will still be left with the issue of how to connect the subwoofer. I myself do not use the subwoofer when I listen to two-channel music. But if I were to use a subwoofer, I would connect the speaker-wire input of my subwoofer to the integrated amp. Does your Klipsh subwoofer have a speaker-wire input?

Btw, I thought the 804 has plenty of bass already even without a subwoofer. I personnally often find adjusting the cross-over and output level between the main speakers and the subwoofer too troublesome. Therefore, I forgo the subwoofer in two channel even though I only have the 805.

Comment

• Briz vegas
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

I do pretty much the same as kmcheng.

I also have an "integrated", but as my amp has no preamp stage it acts as a pure power amp in HT bypass mode. I have invested big time in the 2 channel signal path, and it works a treat, so i would not dream of 5.1 for music - its a backward step.
          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
          Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"