X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gazz
    • May 2008

DM220i Tweeter blown,Help!!!

Hi all
    I have just blown a tweeter in my aging DM220i's and am trying to find a replacement.Part number is TP26.I have tried B&W in the UK and they discontinued them in 2003.Does any one know where i can get a new or used replacement or know of a retro fit done on the B&W220i's.I know these speakers are getting on(1987) but i just love them.Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards
    Gary New Zealand
  • joetama
    • May 2006

Hello Gazz,

I used to have the DM330i which take almost the exact same parts. The tweeter stopped working for me one night.

After doing a lot of searching and looking, there are really no parts out there that are going to be just a drop in replacement.

I would recommend 3 things.

1. Buy something off of Ebay or Audiogon which uses the parts you need. Then take them.

2. Scrap the speakers and buy something new.

3. Fix the tweeter yourself.

I found that where the voice coil broke was in the little cable that connected the terminal with the coil on the former. If you look at the tweeter the little round tubes coming off of the soft dome is where the cable broke. So, very very very carefully I repaired it. With a mix of super thin wire, soldering Iron, magnifying glass, and a few curse words. I honesty would not recommend doing this. But, I have repaired proaudio diaphragms in the field many of times, for fun and because we were in a pinch.

Again I wouldn't recommend number 3. Unless you are SURE you know what you are doing. One wrong move and it's done.

I wonder if there is anyone out there who could just rewind the coil? Does anyone know of a company who does that?
    -Joe

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"