• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

new b&w

Hi,

I have upgrade my system from 703/htm7 to 803s-htm4s and now to 803D-htm2D. (rear 805s)

In switzerland I pay the 703 the same price like 805s (ink. stzand) but the
    805s are (for me) much much better as 703! I utilise my ht system 80% for movies and the 805S as front is better vs. 703.
    With a 2channel system I will go with the 805s too. No doubt.

a center for the 703 is the htm7 and sure not the htm61.
    many tests that I have read say that the htm61 is not as good as its appearance and its technical characteristics. it is also true that many of these tests were with 683 and htm61 ....

bey Omar

Comment

• joetama
      • May 2006

Originally posted by specialized
      I talked to my dealer, and he would give me 804s at home for a few days to compare against 703 (which i still have them)..

Today i bring all my equimpent there, and in their room, i found this things:

1. 804s very soft sound, but still with many details .. Wonderfull feeling specialy on acoustic instruments
      2. I have to push volume higher then on 703 in their room (smaller then my room but very good acoustic, everything damped). In my room there is no carpet, not so much furniture.. So i'll compare at my place as well..
      3. On Rock bands, there was like a muddy parts when a agresive part have come with a lot of instruments..

4. I got idea that 804s have better depth, but again.. Maybe it's becouse of their room..

Anyway, i'll get them tommorow, and would have a chance to listen them compared to 703 for few days.. I'll definitly let u know what i found out, and what i decided..

greetings

Darko
      Man your dealer is a nice guy.

I wanted to check out the CP-500 in my house and they didn't have one instock and wouldn't let me take their CP-700 since it was running their 800D demo system. :roll:
      -Joe

Comment

• Rod S
        • Mar 2005

So I spent 2 weeks last month comparing the 804S to the 703 trying to figure out which one to take home with me. My overall impression was I liked the 804's more and so that's what I went with. Is the 804 better than the 703, maybe and maybe not. For me I preferred it for the kind of music I listen to and that was the key. The music I used to make my choice went from Leftfield to Nora Jones, the Doors to Sting and quite a few obscure things in between.
        At this level neither speaker is really a bad choice, it's a case of which presentation do you prefer, which sounds most pleasing, which one looks best, are you the kind of person to get buyers remorse, do you mind to spend more money or are you really looking for the best sound at the lowest cost.......etc.
        The one impression that I had, which swayed the choice for me, was the 703's did a great job of reproducing the various frequencies present in the music where as the 804's not only do a good job of reproducing the frequency range of the music they do a pretty bang up job of tying it all together for a more balanced presentation, no one part of a piece of music seems to dominate it's just all there at the right level. That's the kind of sound I like, others may have said it's not lively enough and gone for the 703.
        Either way both are good choices and both will do a better job than countless other speakers in the same price range.
        Good luck with the listening tests and either way you'll be building a system many others will be jealous of.

Comment

• specialized
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by joetama
          Man your dealer is a nice guy.

I wanted to check out the CP-500 in my house and they didn't have one instock and wouldn't let me take their CP-700 since it was running their 800D demo system. :roll:

Yes. Definitly they are good guys.. And to be fair i allready pay in advance the minimum priced setup... But still. They made me all this to be very nice experience (except while i was getting some things from them, i parked as close as possible, and police take my car for wrong parking )..

Im getting 804 tommorow, so i will have chance definitly to compare each other...

And yes.. I would definitly write about my experience..

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• specialized
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Rod S
            So I spent 2 weeks last month comparing the 804S to the 703 trying to figure out which one to take home with me. My overall impression was I liked the 804's more and so that's what I went with. Is the 804 better than the 703, maybe and maybe not. For me I preferred it for the kind of music I listen to and that was the key. The music I used to make my choice went from Leftfield to Nora Jones, the Doors to Sting and quite a few obscure things in between.
            At this level neither speaker is really a bad choice, it's a case of which presentation do you prefer, which sounds most pleasing, which one looks best, are you the kind of person to get buyers remorse, do you mind to spend more money or are you really looking for the best sound at the lowest cost.......etc.
            The one impression that I had, which swayed the choice for me, was the 703's did a great job of reproducing the various frequencies present in the music where as the 804's not only do a good job of reproducing the frequency range of the music they do a pretty bang up job of tying it all together for a more balanced presentation, no one part of a piece of music seems to dominate it's just all there at the right level. That's the kind of sound I like, others may have said it's not lively enough and gone for the 703.
            Either way both are good choices and both will do a better job than countless other speakers in the same price range.
            Good luck with the listening tests and either way you'll be building a system many others will be jealous of.

I have listen 804s few hours today at dealer place.. I found out that 804 are very impressive with acoustic instruments.. And not that good for R'N'R music (Red Hot Chilly Peperes dont sound that good, almost muddy where there is many instruments and vocal..).. Also i got experience that vocals are a bit better on 703... But again.. different rooms..

The final test would start tommorow when i'll have them at my place...
            What i really like on 804 was very tight bass and the sound od drum pedal...

And another thing what i noticed.. The tweater was off axis left on both speakes.. This is something wrong? Or they are normal like that?

Darko

Comment

• george_k
              • Jan 2004

Keep in mind that Red Hot Chili Peppers albums are all to some extent recorded poorly, prime example being Californication album, you can really hear the clipping on songs like Scar Tissue. Despite this they are still one of my favorite bands.

Comment

• specialized
                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by george_k
                Keep in mind that Red Hot Chili Peppers albums are all to some extent recorded poorly, prime example being Californication album, you can really hear the clipping on songs like Scar Tissue. Despite this they are still one of my favorite bands.

That's why i ask to get them home, and to be able to check without hurry

I tried with Stadium Arcadium album, which i think it's better in production then Californication... But still. I'll try something else like U2 for example...

Anyway, i can't wait to get a call from dealer and to pick them up

Darko

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by scanido
                  This thread is pure speculation.
                  Agreed, however, ...

B&W will obviously not replace the 800 "S" series because, believe it or not, this is their bread and butter in the 800 series line up. Spoke to my dealer and he has confirmed that they sell much more "S" models then "D" models.
                  If B&W could have it their way they would load all of the 800 Series with diamonds. If it doesn't happen it's not for a lack of trying (hint, hint). :W
                  "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                    Warning - off topic rant.

As I have refined my system I find that I am looking for things like a more cohesive sound, better timing, more emotion in the vocals and more convincing instruments. High hats that don't Shhh shhh shhh, but rather tssshhhhh tssshhhhh tssshhhhh. Vocals where you can hear a slight breaking in the voice or details in the tone the make it much easier to read the emotion that the singer has put into the song. Guitars or other instuments where you can almost hear if the strings are new or not.

I am seeking the elements of realism that have survived the recording process. For me it has revealed itself slowly with each change that I have made since getting my 804s. (not to say that the 703 cannot do something similar). To some these things might be subtle and not worth the money, for me they are pure ear candy. Then again I like going into music shops just on the off chance that someone is trying out a guitar, just to enjoy the sound of the real thing without compression and with all those resonances.

I can tighten the bass and improve the clarity in my system by going to the ironing cupboard, dragging out the ironing board and leaning it against the only corner I have behind my gear - tighter bass, clearer mids etc etc. If the recording is a little thin, which only applies to a small percentage of my CDs, i just remove the ironing board. Less detail,more warmth. Who needs tone controls :W

Here endith the rant.
                    Beautifully put Briz. :T
                    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Rod S
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by specialized
                      I have listen 804s few hours today at dealer place.. I found out that 804 are very impressive with acoustic instruments.. And not that good for R'N'R music (Red Hot Chilly Peperes dont sound that good, almost muddy where there is many instruments and vocal..).. Also i got experience that vocals are a bit better on 703... But again.. different rooms..

The final test would start tommorow when i'll have them at my place...
                      What i really like on 804 was very tight bass and the sound od drum pedal...

And another thing what i noticed.. The tweater was off axis left on both speakes.. This is something wrong? Or they are normal like that?

Darko

The thing to bear in mind too is that the more capable the overall system is the more the quality of the recording is exposed. There can be the case were the system you put together makes the music you like sound terrible, not because your system is bad but rather the combination of the recording quality and system synergies just doesn't click. That's why the key to building any system is always to listen to the music you prefer and own.
                      As for the off axis effect you're getting, I didn't notice anything during the demos and have not experienced it at home. This could be the listening environment at your dealer or that the system is revealing something already present in a recording that just wasn't so obvious on a lesser set up.

Comment

• specialized
                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Rod S
                        The thing to bear in mind too is that the more capable the overall system is the more the quality of the recording is exposed. There can be the case were the system you put together makes the music you like sound terrible, not because your system is bad but rather the combination of the recording quality and system synergies just doesn't click. That's why the key to building any system is always to listen to the music you prefer and own.
                        As for the off axis effect you're getting, I didn't notice anything during the demos and have not experienced it at home. This could be the listening environment at your dealer or that the system is revealing something already present in a recording that just wasn't so obvious on a lesser set up.

When i ask about tweater's beeing of axis, it's phisical.. When i watch from the top, i can see how they are not pointed in the center of the back of the speakers.. THey are like 3-4 degrees off axis, on same side... So can be wrong bolted ? Or what can cause this?

And i agree about quality of recording.. That's why i got 804s at home while i still have 703 to compare each other.. Here this days are holidays, and we dont work for few days, so perfect timing to try them..

greetings..

Darko

p.s. If someone have 804s, please check u'r twiters.. I really wonder, why they are bolted off axis

Comment

• Zoran
                          • Apr 2005

Darko, I had a similar issue (slightly misdirected tweeter tube) with one of 805S speakers I used to own... A second pair proved to be perfect in this regard. I also own the 803S, perfectly directed to the center of the back.

At Mk dealer I saw a pair of running 804S - as far as remember correctly, both tweeters were put nice to the central point.

In my opinion, your pair of 804S suffers not-the-top-notch execution by the B&W factory. I would ask for another pair - hope your dealer (I know them, they always behaved more than correctly to me) will remain professional...
                          Last edited by Zoran; 26 April 2008, 06:31 Saturday.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

I think you will find that the tweeters are decoupled from the cabinet. I don't believe they are actually bolted on. Manhandling of a demo pair may be the reason for slight misalignment.

It should be readily corrected, just check with your dealer.

Mine still look fine to me (this is old photo)
                            Attached Files
                            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• specialized
                              • Apr 2008

[QUOTE=Briz vegas]I think you will find that the tweeters are decoupled from the cabinet. I don't believe they are actually bolted on. Manhandling of a demo pair may be the reason for slight misalignment.

It should be readily corrected, just check with your dealer.

Mine still look fine to me (this is old photo)[/QUOTE

Thanks a lot.. The pair that i have in this moment, are definitly a little bit off axis.. However. If i decide to go with 804s, i'll ask another pair...

Now i have dilema 703 or 804s...

I'll have them this few days, so i'll decide.. Anyway.. I dont have a lot of time, but after few songs, i can say that 703 have more impact and full sound, but maybe a bit agressive sometimes.. 804's Seem to be more balanced, but soulless sometimes..

I'll decide in monday, which route i'll go..

Darko

Comment

• specialized
                                • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Zoran
                                Darko, I had a similar issue (slightly missdirected tweeter tube) with one of 805S speakers I used to own... A second pair proved to be perfect in this regard. I also own the 803S, perfectly directed to the center of the back.

At Mk dealer I saw a pair of running 804S - as far as remember correctly, tweeters was put nice to the central point.

In my opinion, your pair of 804S suffers not-the-top-notch execution by the B&W factory. I would ask for another pair - hope your dealer (I know them, they always behaved more than correctly to me) will remain professional...

Thank u Zoran... Becouse i still test them, if i i decide that i prefer 804s compared to 703, i'll ask for a new pair.. I was just a bit suprised to find on expnesive speakers like this that kind of mistake (B&W sell details in this price range..).. Any way, i just send u a pvt msg, becouse i think we are from same country, and i found out from u'r last posts that u are very experienced and that u can help me about my dilema's...
                                Thanks ... And when i get my new speakers, i invite u on M'Zlk in Kumanovo

greetings

Darko

Comment

• Zoran
                                  • Apr 2005

M'zlk...!!! lol

Forum fellows may find themself confused what "M'zlk" means... I am quite sure none dictionary throughout Solar System can translate what kind of meal emerges beneath that word... Thank you very much, I'am calling you today. BTW, I am not particularly fond on M'zlk (at least!), so I'd suggest some beer of cofee...

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"