X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasDK
    • Mar 2018

Old 700 Series - Which Receiver

I have the old 700 series, which I have I have been very happy with and I am going to keep forever

It consists of 2 703's, 2 705's, 1 HTM7 and the ASW700.

But I am going to replace my receiver.

I have had a Denon AVR3805, which I have been pretty content with for a decade now, but I find that most of my new music is stored on my Computer, Iphone etc...

So the old 3805 is lacking options and getting less and less use...

Initially I thought about buying an Arcam rPlay, to support the system, but then I realised I have a large sum of Reward Cash stored on my credit card, so all of a sudden it is possible to replace the Receiver all together...

I am now tossing up between a Marantz SR7012 or a Denon AVR X6400...

I am looking more for a musical receiver rather than Surround emphasis.

I will not be able to listen to the receiver before ordering it

Any thoughts what will be best for my old 700 series???
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

While I don't have a specific receiver recommendation, B&W speakers are current hungry. Not necessarily "the most watts you can get", but a power supply that can keep feeding current during demanding passages. Lightweight power supplies can leave the music/sound sounding congested, less clear, and thin. Not what those speakers deserve.

But, as a possible alternative, if you're happy with your Denon (nice gear, BTW), have you considered a dedicated, stand alone DAC to go between your computer/phone and receiver? This http://hifiheaven.net/shop/Cambridge...SABEgKWMvD_BwE is a very good unit, usually around the price of the Marantz you listed, and will likely improve sound quality more than a new receiver. You'd get the ease of access to your digital music, plus a considerable bump up in sound quality. Combined with lossless music files (FLAC, etc.) I think you would be surprised at how much you've been missing from your favorite music.

If you can't audition something like that before the cash outlay, maybe try some less expensive Schiit to see if it fills your needs (the Modi2 Multibit is a bargain, but Schiit has DACs up to the Yggdrasil). At $250 the Modi 2 Multibit may even scratch that itch for you. http://www.schiit.com/products/modi-2 That would free up some funds for other things. Maybe some nice silver cabling... LOL
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• BWLover
      • Jan 2009

I agree with Alaric. B&W's love current. I myself have realized this over the years with each amplifier upgrade on my B&W's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
      Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
      Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
      Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
      Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
      Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
      Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
      Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
      Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
      Playstation 3
      Shaw HD PVR
      Primacoustic Room Treatments

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"