• Show
Clear All
  • thundercat
    • Apr 2008

Your thoughts on 683 and HK3485

hello everybody total noob here, looking at getting this setup

683's rated 25W-200W 8 Ohms

Harman Kardon 3485 120 Watts per Channel 8 Ohms

this should be alright for a stereo receiver? primary concern music not too interested in HT
  • f77
    • Jan 2008

Hello, i think you need better amplification to justify the investment in the 683s. Buy something used at 40-50% of new price, preferrably something in the arcam, rotel, primare, thule, musical fidelity league. I have a thule setup and it completely destroys the competition connected to my b&w cm4:s. If those aren't available where you live, I'd look into musical fidelity. If you stay in the HK segment, have a store connect a powerful amp to the 683:s so that you're at least making an informed choice, knowing what you're getting and what you're not getting.

Comment

• thundercat
      • Apr 2008

thanks for your help, now by better amplification do you mean the same amount of wattage but from a rotel or arcam or just more watts per channel?

like a RB-1080 200 watts per channel around 1000$

RB-1070 130 watts per channel around 700$

and that would be just for the amp I'd still need a tuner and cd player, which would cost me more than the speakers 1800$(Canadian)

I'd rather stick to buying a single stereo receiver maybe RX 1050, 100Watts per channel... lol man I'm confused, I guess i rather have better speakers and spend around 500$ on the receiver...

My reasoning for looking at the HK3485 is that it has some serious bang for the buck, Plus my dad has the B&W 602 S3( I've listened to them extensively)
      with a HK receiver and it's a great match.

Tomorrow I'm going to the local shop(the only one that carries B&W) to listen to the 863's and to see what kind of setup they have...I'll report back

Once again thanks for your time.

Comment

• f77
        • Jan 2008

Just better quality overall, better preamp, more real power, more refinement etc. I know it's not cheap, but you have chosen a speaker brand that benefits massively from quality electronitcs. The CM4:s for example sound very bland and boring with smaller amps (most people think that's what they sound like). You can save a lot buying used, stereo equipment doesn't necessarily get better with each new model anyway. Rotels are a way to go, lots of people seem to like them with b&w:s, I have had a rsx1055, rb980s, rb985, ra1070 and rdv1050 with system audio speakers, b&w vm1 and b&w cm4, and to my ears there are better options in the price range.

That said, you might be very satisfied indeed with a HK, it will be way above mass-market or mid-fi surround receivers.

Comment

• thundercat
          • Apr 2008

Just got back from the local audio shop

first impressions of the 863's rather boring, muffled, uninspiring
          this was with a Moon amp and tuner (local Canadian company)

then hooked up to a Rotel cd player, tuner, and amp
          WOW....World of a difference, stunning sound, excellent Base, great midrange
          great highs. excellent separation between instruments...

If I remember correctly amp was 130Watts per Channel. I totally understand what you mean by quality electronics although added all up the electronics would cost 3000$ ouch. So basically 5grand for an excellent stereo package.

Comment

• noway
            • May 2008

Just finished upgrading from the HK 3485 to some separates:

older RC-870BX preamp
            new RB-1070 power amp
            vintage Nikko tuner NT-790

Speakers used: Mission 780

Conclusions:

Rotel preamp is more transparent than HK 3485 (when HK used as preamp only) but the Rotel doesn't have remote control.

Nikko tuner is not as sensitive as the HK 3485 tuner (used as tuner only) and the Nikko doesn't have remote control. Nikko sound quality is better.

Rotel amp is more transparent than HK 3485 with better imaging (when HK used as amp only)

HK 3485 is very versatile and convenient, with remote control and can be used as either a receiver, preamp, power amp or tuner (via tape out) if you want. Power output and value are probably unsurpassed, since I got it new for only $225 + shipping from J & R Music.

I'm going to keep the separates but also keeping the HK 3485 around, just in case. I think it offers good tonal balance and pace/rhythm/timing, along with a tuner and remote control...

Hope this helps.
            Last edited by noway; 24 May 2008, 21:58 Saturday.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"