X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WI Rotel
    • Jul 2006

Heard the zepellin

What can i say, ugh!!! I'm not sure if it was the zepellin or the recording but it was dull, lifeless and boring. I have listened to CD's made from I tunes (my whole Ella colection was aquired that way) on my home system and the sound is excellent. On the zepellin dynamic range was poor, the highs were unexistent as were the lows, at best it sounded like a good clock radio, very disappointing. If the recording was not at the lowest fidelity, the zepellin is a pretty pis poor effort to cash on the BW name and very disappointing indeed. :wtf:
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Oh dear!

If you can't do it well for the price don't do it. The reports on the Meridian F80 indicate that they got it right - although I believe the asking price it 4 times the B&Ws. Regardless, why produce a device that does not perform if that is your brands niche.

If what you say is true (maybe the hifi gods were angry that day) then it looks like the marketing guys must have lead the project and they stuffed up big time.

If I am out near a B&W dealer I will have to have a listen for myself.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• H.T.C
      • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Briz vegas
      Oh dear!

If you can't do it well for the price don't do it. The reports on the Meridian F80 indicate that they got it right - although I believe the asking price it 4 times the B&Ws. Regardless, why produce a device that does not perform if that is your brands niche.

If what you say is true (maybe the hifi gods were angry that day) then it looks like the marketing guys must have lead the project and they stuffed up big time.

If I am out near a B&W dealer I will have to have a listen for myself.
      The meridian is $3000.00 and choice of colors but i think one of the av mags gave the zepplin radio a good review or a thread here did,not sure.
      Robert

Comment

• joetama
        • May 2006

I heard the Zeppelin.

I was actually pretty impressed with the way that it sounded. Did it sound as good as a full B&W system? No, but I still think it sounds pretty good for what it is.
        -Joe

Comment

• wgriel
          • May 2006

Originally posted by WI Rotel
          What can i say, ugh!!! I'm not sure if it was the zepellin or the recording but it was dull, lifeless and boring. I have listened to CD's made from I tunes (my whole Ella colection was aquired that way) on my home system and the sound is excellent. On the zepellin dynamic range was poor, the highs were unexistent as were the lows, at best it sounded like a good clock radio, very disappointing. If the recording was not at the lowest fidelity, the zepellin is a pretty pis poor effort to cash on the BW name and very disappointing indeed. :wtf:
          Interesting - yours is the first negative review I've encountered. Most of the reviews (professional and anecdotal) have been quite glowing, including one from an audiophile friend who I trust - but then I haven't heard it. I certainly wouldn't expect it to sound like a stand alone system, but would expect it to be much better than a good clock radio.

A local audio store has it in stock so I will give it a listen.

Comment

• WI Rotel
            • Jul 2006

Originally posted by wgriel
            Interesting - yours is the first negative review I've encountered. Most of the reviews (professional and anecdotal) have been quite glowing, including one from an audiophile friend who I trust - but then I haven't heard it. I certainly wouldn't expect it to sound like a stand alone system, but would expect it to be much better than a good clock radio.

As I pointed out I'm not entirely sure of the quality of the recorded material but for something with BW on it sounded awful!

Comment

• Antus
              • Apr 2008

i actually bought one as my computer speakers.

at Apple Store, it sounded really awful, cause they are using 128K AAC music. If you use apple lossless, it sound much better.

btw, there are also various line out quality across the iPod family. I believe iPod Classic sounds the best. iPod Touch is second. iPod Nano are real bad. iPod shuffle are toys.

with that said, the best sound is when you connect with mini toslink optical and let the speakers do all the work.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by wgriel

As I pointed out I'm not entirely sure of the quality of the recorded material but for something with BW on it sounded awful!

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Deja vu
                  B&W

Comment

• Alloroc
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

Music acquired from iTunes is 128K AAC. Not a great place to start. 128k AAC is just about as low as you can go. I never buy from iTunes for this very reason.

I tried the zep using my ipod where all my tracks were ripped using apple lossless codec and the sound was impressive enough - for what it was of course. Better than my Klipisch.
                    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• kmcheng
                      • Jan 2008

I actually found the Zeppelin to be quite capable. I used a Sony DVD player to play CD's and hooked the DVD player to the Zeppelin using the stock (dirt-cheap) RCA cables. I was surprised by the output with such a modest set up. Obviously, it cannot touch my 805S in the living room, but as a secondary system in my small study room, the Zeppelin more than holds its own.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

I have listened to CD's made from I tunes (my whole Ella colection was aquired that way) on my home system and the sound is excellent. On the zepellin dynamic range was poor, the highs were unexistent as were the lows, at best it sounded like a good clock radio, very disappointing.
                        Well I visited a B&W store today and listened to a couple of their latest products including the Zep. I will be suggesting to my "hifi should be small, cute and not too expensive" friends that they should give this little device a listen. Maybe it is not as "hifi" as most forum members would like but it does a pretty nice job of filling a modest sizeg room with music, all on a slim budget.

I am not about to convert to I-toons but it would be tricky to come up with something as engaging at the price.
                        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"