X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rodH
    • Aug 2002

What Sub to go with B&W 805??

If you were to buy a sub to match up with the B&W 805 speakers, which one would you chose, under $1000. Open for all ideas including online/direct companies, sub kits (parts express), major brands (B&W,etc), or sub specific brands (rel,velodyne,hsu,etc..).

Would like something that would be decent for Music and Movies in a medium sized room.

Thanks.
  • Camelot
    • Aug 2006

Hi,

Since 3 years I have 2 x N805, 2 x SCM1 and HTM2 combined with 2 REL strata III. This setup is absolutely amazing for both music and HT in my medium sized room. The Strata III is a very musical sub. I listen about 80% of the time to music in 2 channel bypass.

I purchased one demo Strata III from my dealer with 30% discount. The other one I bought in mint condition from the 1st owner.
    In Europe you might be able to find a used Strata III for les than EURO 500,-

I have heard several B&W 800 series setups with and without sub. Sofar I don't feel the need to chance anything. Based on my experience with the Strata III, I would strongly recommend one (or two, even better)

Good luck,
    Camelot

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

I've had a Velodyne SPL-800R matched with my 805s for two years now (I think). I auditioned numerous subs from Infinity to SVS to B&W. In the end, I was most pleased with the Velodyne series. I like seal subs better for music. I use my sub for about 50/50 music/movies. Small little sub, but it blends seemlessly with the 805s. I keep it at 40 with a max of 100. I auditioned the Velodyne DD series as well. It was great, but for the price difference, I didn't find it worth it... not for my setup. But overall, I really have had no desire to replace it. If anything, I might add a second sub if the room gets too big. However, my room is big and it still fills it more than enough.
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Blindamood
        • Sep 2003

Up until recently I have used the ASW-850 with my 805S/HTM4/SCSMS setup, and it sounds great. However, I am in the process of downsizing due to a move, and I was actually considering the Velodyne SPL-800R as a good option for a 'small' sub to replace it (available for $899 shipped from Crutchfield). I'm wondering how this would compare to the B&W PV1, which is another option I've thought about?
        Brad

Comment

• rodH
          • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Blindamood
          Up until recently I have used the ASW-850 with my 805S/HTM4/SCSMS setup, and it sounds great. However, I am in the process of downsizing due to a move, and I was actually considering the Velodyne SPL-800R as a good option for a 'small' sub to replace it (available for $899 shipped from Crutchfield). I'm wondering how this would compare to the B&W PV1, which is another option I've thought about?

It looks like the 800 is only an 8" sub, I guess I shouldn't judge it on that alone since it puts out so much power, but in the back of my head I am thinking maybe the 1000 (10" version) might be a bit better?

Looks like the 800 goes for around $400 on ebay on occasion.

Comment

• audioqueso
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by rodH
            Looks like the 800 goes for around $400 on ebay on occasion.
            That sucks. I paid $1000 when I first purchased it.

Yes, it is only an 8" sub. However, I was very impressed when I compared it next to the 12" SVS sub (only for 2 days). It does great for movies. But for music, I was pleased with the little sub more than any of the other one's I tried at home. I had tried out a LOT of subs during that period. I had a B&W ASW600 that I had owned for a short period while I had my 600 series setup. Then after receiving the 805s, I think I went to Infinity Interlude series next, Klipsch... basically everything that Circuit City had at first.. just kept buying and returning :B Then I tried out Paradigm, and lastly SVS. SVS was the only one I had a chance to compare directly to another sub... and that was the Velodyne. I went with the 8" over the 10" solely for size. I was under the impression that I would end up with something big after having numerous large subs in my home, but when I saw the SPL-R series, the idea of a sub so small began to marry in my head. :B I don't regret it at all. I can place it right under my 805s and it ends up looking like the old Infinity speakers that had built-in powered subwoofers (remember those?). Right now, I have it about a foot away from my speaker stand. For the price, I doubt I could be more satisfied with another sub. Especially the convenience of the size. And Velodyne service is great. The processor died out on me once, and they were extremely easy to work with. Go to Tweeters or something and see about auditioning one. They have the SPL-R and DD series. You could ask about trying it at home too. Good luck.

Comment

• rodH
              • Aug 2002

Originally posted by audioqueso
              That sucks. I paid $1000 when I first purchased it.

Yes, it is only an 8" sub. However, I was very impressed when I compared it next to the 12" SVS sub (only for 2 days). It does great for movies. But for music, I was pleased with the little sub more than any of the other one's I tried at home. I had tried out a LOT of subs during that period. I had a B&W ASW600 that I had owned for a short period while I had my 600 series setup. Then after receiving the 805s, I think I went to Infinity Interlude series next, Klipsch... basically everything that Circuit City had at first.. just kept buying and returning :B Then I tried out Paradigm, and lastly SVS. SVS was the only one I had a chance to compare directly to another sub... and that was the Velodyne. I went with the 8" over the 10" solely for size. I was under the impression that I would end up with something big after having numerous large subs in my home, but when I saw the SPL-R series, the idea of a sub so small began to marry in my head. :B I don't regret it at all. I can place it right under my 805s and it ends up looking like the old Infinity speakers that had built-in powered subwoofers (remember those?). Right now, I have it about a foot away from my speaker stand. For the price, I doubt I could be more satisfied with another sub. Especially the convenience of the size. And Velodyne service is great. The processor died out on me once, and they were extremely easy to work with. Go to Tweeters or something and see about auditioning one. They have the SPL-R and DD series. You could ask about trying it at home too. Good luck.
              Thanks for the reply. I have an SVS right now in my HT system and love it, but in some applications it is too big. Maybe this is the way to go, I will have to check them out.

btw, Tweeter is out of business.

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

I didn't know that. I thought Tweeters and Sound Advice were the same thing. I went to Sound Advice during that time.

Comment

• Glenee
                  • Aug 2006

Anybody here try a Martin-Logan Depthi with 805's ? If you havent you should.

Comment

• Blindamood
                    • Sep 2003

I haven't heard the Depth, but I have seen many recommendations for it. These appear occassionally on audiogon for a decent price (~$1K). I noted earlier in this thread that I was thinking about the Velodyne SPL-800R or the B&W PV1...then I saw the current MSRP of the PV1 -- $1600! The Velodyne is looking better and better...
                    Brad

Comment

• rodH
                      • Aug 2002

I haven't heard the Depth, but I have seen many recommendations for it. These appear occassionally on audiogon for a decent price (~$1K). I noted earlier in this thread that I was thinking about the Velodyne SPL-800R or the B&W PV1...then I saw the current MSRP of the PV1 -- $1600! The Velodyne is looking better and better...
                      this may not be accurate, but the PV1 looks like some mid-fi gimmick that B&O would market. I know B&W sometimes likes to dabble in that sort of thing so they don't only cater to audiophiles with lots of space, but I don't like the looks of it at all.

Comment

• btf1980
                        • Aug 2007

In your price range, the REL T2 would be a fantastic option. Skip the PV1. I had it, and for what for what you get, it's overpriced. The T2 is an all around superior sub IMO, yet is half the price.
                        A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• Blindamood
                          • Sep 2003

I really like the look of the REL Britannia series. Would match nicely in cherry wood. The smallest (B3) is still a bit big compared to some of the others mentioned here. Lists for close to $2K, though, so in a different range than the others.
                          Brad

Comment

• rodH
                            • Aug 2002

Some good reviews on the Rel Stratus III, and they usually seem to be about $900 used.

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

The best subwoofer for under $10,000 is the JL Audio Fathom F113 ($3500). It is unbelievable and maks any other sub a joke including Velodyne.
                              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• rodH
                                • Aug 2002

Originally posted by wettou
                                The best subwoofer for under $10,000 is the JL Audio Fathom F113 ($3500). It is unbelievable and maks any other sub a joke including Velodyne.
                                Actually, after having done some pretty good research, the DD18 and DD15 are rated very very high, even compared to the fathom. I am NOT saying the velo is better, I am just saying it is hardly a "joke" like you mentioned. btw, have you heard of the Velodyne 1812?

Comment

• arcam_boy
                                  • Jan 2008

how the the svs pb13 ultra compare to the fathom?

Comment

• wettou
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • May 2006

From my perspective, the fathom f113 sound a lot more musical. Remember subs needs to sound good with music first, big explosions in movies is easy, but nice tight musical bass is a lot more difficult.

"have you heard of the Velodyne 1812?" The Velodyne Signature 1812 is $15,000, so we are comparing apples and oranges!

But before you plug down that kind of money then audition the JL Audio Gotham $11,000 or better even get yourself two JL Audio Fathom F113 ($7000) and you will never look back. :P

Gotham: http://home.jlaudio.com/products_sub....php?page_id=3

Fathom F113: http://home.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?prod_id=371

Also we are talking subwoofer to go with "B&W 805 speakers" not with Nautilus 800D or Nautilus!
                                    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• audioqueso
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2004

Though I've never heard one, I don't doubt you. Everyone I know that has heard one says the same thing as wettou.

Comment

• RobP
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2004

It is unbelievable and maks any other sub a joke including Velodyne.

I love statements like this one :roll:

If you read the original question, he is looking for a subwoofer for $1k or under, the JL sub does not fall into this category.

My vote would be the Martin Logan Depth or maybe a pre-owned ASW800.
                                        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• wettou
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • May 2006

Well, thank you some times it might be worth looking outside of so you can experience what a good sub sounds like.

Comment

• audioqueso
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Nov 2004

Well, thank you some times it might be worth looking outside of so you can experience what a good sub sounds like.
                                            Yes and no. Yes, cause you'll get a better feel of what's a good reference. But absolutely not in this hobby cause then you've spoiled your virgin satisfaction to want more.

Example, when I had the B&W 600 series I was perfectly happy. I had gone through several other brands and actually made the comment "I don't think I'll ever change this speakers ever again." Then I heard the 800 series. And that was it. Get it? Good point, but in this expensive addiction of ours, it's not good to know what's better. It's good to know what sounds good to YOU, and that's it.

Comment

• dalundin
                                              • Apr 2008

F113

No Question here,

My recent purchase:

Mcintosh MX120 AV Pre
                                              Mcintosh MC207 200W 7 channel Amp
                                              Mcintosh MC402 400W 2 Channel Amp
                                              B&W 802Ds
                                              B&W HTM2 Center
                                              B&W DS8S Surrounds
                                              JL F113 Fathom Sub

There is a reason this Sub was "product of the year" on several reviews!!

Comment

• wettou
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • May 2006

Very nice set up dalundin,

I am in the process of upgrading as well here is what I have so far:

Integra Research RDC7 Processor (soon Classé SSP-800)
                                                Classe CA-5200 200W 5 channel Amp
                                                Classé CA-2100 100W 2 channel Amp
                                                three B&W 802D (R,C,L)
                                                two B&W 802 (side surround)
                                                two B&W 803 (back surround)
                                                JL F113 Fathom Sub

Comment

• akhter
                                                  • Jun 2005

Originally posted by rodH
                                                  Actually, after having done some pretty good research, the DD18 and DD15 are rated very very high, even compared to the fathom. I am NOT saying the velo is better, I am just saying it is hardly a "joke" like you mentioned. btw, have you heard of the Velodyne 1812?
                                                  I use a Velo DD12 (little brother of DD15/18) with my N804 and its a great match. It so nice to have a subwoofer that is NEVER EVER boomy. Always tight and seamlessly integrated.

It does require a fair bit of fiddling to get the setup done properly, but worth it, imho.

Comment

• Mark_C.
                                                    • Jan 2003

I use a Velo HGS 10 mk II with my Nautilus 805s for HT and casual music listening. I've had this combo for five years and continue to be impressed.

Comment

• speakerboy
                                                      • Nov 2005

Sound-wise, has anybody switched over from a B&W 850 sub to a JL Audio F113 sub and not regret it? What improvement(s) did you notice?

Appearance-wise, my natural cherry 850 is in between my natural cherry N803 and HTM1 speakers, so it has that consistent look. Not sure how an F113 with the glossy finish would change things. I'm striving for a modern/contemporary look.

Comment

• rodH
                                                        • Aug 2002

Originally posted by arcam_boy
                                                        how the the svs pb13 ultra compare to the fathom?
                                                        After doing extensive research probably as good or better, given you have the room for it.

I have decided to build my own, using a Velodyne sc1250 and TC Sounds drivers.

If I didn't go this way, after doing a TON of research it looks like the best out there are the F113, PB13/Ultra, and the DD/SPL lines from velodyne.

Comment

Working...
                                                        😀
                                                        😂
                                                        🥰
                                                        😘
                                                        🤢
                                                        😎
                                                        😞
                                                        😡
                                                        👍
                                                        👎
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"