X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toledoguy
    • Jul 2008

Connecting balanced pre-amp to unbalanced amp

I've got a question, and I think I know the answer, but what the heck. I have decided to spend some money to move from big box store mediocre equipment to higher end seperates. It's a slow process as I research everything that I possibly can before I buy. I have a Rotel RM-1050 to power the front channels, and for two channel audio, and a Rotel RMB-1066, to power the rest of the channels in a 7.1 setup. They are the 2nd and 3rd cogs in my slowly being rebuilt system. The first cog was a power supply/conditioner. I have pretty much decided to purchase an Outlaw 990 pre-amp/ processor, or possibly the new 997 when it comes up shortly. (Although, the price for the 990 is great right now) (and yes, I know the 990 doesnt' have an HDMI connection, and there are some issues with the new blu-ray codecs, such as True HD, but don't worry about that right now.

My question deals with connecting the preamp to the amps. The Outlaw equipment comes with both a balanced (XLR) connection and an unbalanced (RCA) connection. The Rotel amps have only unbalanced inputs. I understand the advanatage of a balanced connection over a long wiring run to eliminate interference. That won't be an issue for me as the connections will probably be less than 6 feet. So the question is, (1) is there any advantage to a balanced connection over a short run and, (2) I realize that I would have to adapt the xlr to a rca connection to connect to the amps, does that destroy the balance, i.e., the advantage of the balanced connection? Just one of those questions that has been ratteling around in the back of my mind. Thanks for the input
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

Given the components you're using and the fact that the cable length is short, there is probably no benefit to a balanced connection. Since the amps have only unbalanced inputs you should use the unbalanced outputs of the Preamp/Processor connected with unbalanced wire of course.

If your processor and source equipment have balanced connections, then that part of you system could be balanced.
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• GregLett
      • May 2005

Also even though the equipment may have a balanced connection there may not necessarily be a sonic benefit in using them. In some cases using the balanced connection will offer you less quality instead of more.
      This was something I experienced with my ROTEL combo when I first got started.
      Greg

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

To add to what's already been said, not all equipment with balanced connections is of true differential design. Some manufacturers' equipment is of single-ended design and employ op amps to convert the unbalanced signal to balanced and vice versa. This adds extra and unnecessary circuitry to what may be an otherwise fine single-ended design, and this can have sonic drawbacks.

Comment

• toledoguy
          • Jul 2008

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. And you answered my question. Like I thought, in this senario unbalanced to unbalanced is the way to go.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"