X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dinyaar
    • Aug 2006

Amps for the 805s

Hi,
    Been offered a used bryston BP 6/ 3B sst pre/power combo at a good rate to drive my 805s. My current combo is the Rotel RC 1070/RB 1080.
    Does this seem a sensible upgrade as Bryston is known to manufacture great power amps? Would the above combo match with my speakers ? The bryston has been used for 2 years and bought thru the distributor so the warranty stands.
    Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Hi dinyaar,

I was a Rotel RC-1070 / RB-1080 owner until I traded my RC-1070 in for an RC-1082 before Xmas. This is an upgrade that you might like to audition before buying the Bryston combination. If nothing else it will prove that you are making a sensible decision with the Bryston purchase.

Either way I am interested to hear what you end up doing and the reasons why.

Nigel.

Comment

• dinyaar
      • Aug 2006

Amps for the 805

Hi,
      Thanks for the reply. My cdp is a cyrus CD 8X. My reason for asking was a sense of dissatisfaction with the over all sound of the system. The speakers are on dedicated stands but the bass response is far from good. The rotels do drive them to really loud levels but never clean. I was personally thinking of getting a smaller amp with better tonality.
      Am from India and the prices of gear can be very different from the west. Tried the Cyrus 8Vs amp- sound was too lean, tried the Nad M3 and was left a little bewildered at the fantastic reviews i read, lastly tried the Musical fidelity A5 integrated and it sounded good.
      Now the bryston combo has been offered and the Primare integrated and the pre/powers are suggested. Unfortunately cant hear the Bryston in my set up so am trying to set up an audition of the 3Bsst amp with whatever speakers i can get the dealer to demo with.
      Thanks again
      Last edited by dinyaar; 28 February 2008, 04:51 Thursday. Reason: spellings

Comment

• Frankster72
        • Feb 2008

I also auditioned the 805s a while ago. I found the sound esp. of voices a bit harsh. I liked the combo with an octave v80 valve amplifier alot. this amp also got enough power do drive the 805s properly.

but finally after looking for a good compact speaker I found the wilson benesh arc and the dynaudio c1 far superior to the 805s.

Maybe you don't want to hear this. But upgrading the speaker might take you further. a pair of wilson benesh arc is here offert for just 2999,- eur / pair for e.g.

for eg. I drive my dynaudio c1 with a 'cheap' unsion unico, valve hybrid amp. has excellent resolution. perfect voices representation and tight and strong base with no need for a sub.

anyway, if you stay with the 805s, try them with a good powerful tube amp.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"